Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rust and Oxidation problems with a New FLHX

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 06:32 AM
Mordwyn
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rust and Oxidation problems with a New FLHX

My roommate has just purchased an '08 FLHX and we were wondering if anyone else has had a problem like what were seeing.

The bike is about a month old and the motor and tranny cases as well as the jugs are getting covered in a white residue visible against the black powdercoat. It cannont be removed with a regular washing and actualy appears to be aluminum oxide from the parts leaching through the powdercoat.

We are also seeing rust in two very troubleing places.... on the front axle bearing cages which are visible past the axle seals, and on the front fork seals. We are also seeing pitting and rust on the shifter linkage anywhere the part is not chromed.

Now the bike is kept out of doors, but we are surprised to see oxidation on areas that should either be protected by the factory powdercoat or areas of a part that should be made out of quality stainless and not rust so quickly.

As I said its less than a month old but with all the discoloration etc looks like its 4 or 5 years old ride.

ETA: Orlando is about an hour or so from the coast and this bike has never seen the beach. The roomie has lived on the Fla coast in the past and has never seen this on his never washed sport bikes. The cycle has been washed 2x at the dealer after some intake and exhaust upgrades and we can only assume that HD products were used (correctly).
The roomies Dad has and '04 Road King that visits the LA beaches all the time and does not have anything that even remotely looks like this issue. Oh, and no pool chemicals...
We're both recently certified HD Techs and have wracked our brains over this.... so now we come to our fellow riders for help.

TIA

Any ideas from the great HD Hive mind?

Old 10-23-2007, 06:46 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,966 Likes on 1,716 Posts
Default RE: Rust and Oxidation problems with a New FLHX

Warranty? Take it back!

Old 10-23-2007, 07:00 AM
Badbagger
Grand HDF Member

Received 309 Likes on 181 Posts

I'd be headed back to the dealer TODAY!

Old 10-23-2007, 07:55 AM
FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I see you live in Orlando Fl. Maybe its just me but the couple of times I have been in Orlando and got a hit of the humidity you guys have there. I don't think I would ever leave a bike sitting outside. Question is, is there a high salt content in that humidity being on the coast line?

Old 10-23-2007, 02:35 PM
luckystars5
Intermediate

If you have to keep the bike outside use a cover and get some corrosion block spray (by CRC) at a marine store and spray a coat on the frame, and any other trouble spots. Looks like crap but it will slow down the corrosion. Best if you can keep it in the garage with a room dehumidifier running. Florida living!

Old 10-23-2007, 02:56 PM
StreetGlide2006
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: FLHT

I see you live in Orlando Fl. Maybe its just me but the couple of times I have been in Orlando and got a hit of the humidity you guys have there. I don't think I would ever leave a bike sitting outside. Question is, is there a high salt content in that humidity being on the coast line?
My thoughts exactly, and I did not read the part where you live in Florida. To close to sea salt to leave it sit outside even if covered.

RIde Safe,

Mike

Old 10-23-2007, 03:37 PM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nope. No problem seen like that

Old 10-23-2007, 03:39 PM
combat_vet
Tourer

Good luck with warranty! MoCo does not warranty finishes anymore (i.e. corrosion, rust, paint, chrome, etc...) That is why there are so many CA lawsuits pending. I have had approximately 30% of the chrome replaced on my SERK due to peeling and it has been a battle everytime!

Old 10-23-2007, 03:47 PM
Domestic Violence
Stellar HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 24 Posts

has your 'friend' ever used S100 engine cleaner on it? i know that if S100 is used, and not completely washed off- itll leave a white residue that is very hard to remove.

Old 10-23-2007, 03:57 PM
G$
Road Captain
Location: LexVegas, KY...home of fast wimmen & beautiful horses

Fla weather ain't the cause of it but it prolly accelerates it as such. Sounds like u've got some kinda soap or alkaline residue on the engine casing. Have u used any kinda of de-greaser? Hopefully ur not using household cleaner or dish liquid.

If its the zinc bolts...they're just crap. Notorious for rusting after puttin a wrench to em. Have u had to adjust the shift linkage? If u wanna see the most rusted part of ur bagger, look at the spring hinge under ur saddlebag latch. It's the moco way of saving a dime. It's a joke.

Quick Reply: Rust and Oxidation problems with a New FLHX