Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on Saddlebag Theft Prevention

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 10:53 PM
YodaddyKeith
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Thoughts on Saddlebag Theft Prevention

Carriage bolts and insurance should be enuff .......

You keep a $1K camera in your bag? Hum, where do you park?

So last night I go to make a beer run and jump on the RKC....I ease out on the hwy(rural area)and see a guy broke down in a cager...He's got a flat.....He has a spare but no jack, so I suggest he go up in my carport and drag my floor jack out to the road and use it.....He really liked that idea cause he has wife n kid in car and wants to get going.....Ok, I drive offto fetch the beer......When I return, he and my jack are gone.

If you see a young black male about 30 driving a new gold Pontiac G6 with atiny tempspare on right front wheel, ask him if his name is Greg.....If it is, shoot him for me, then look in his trunk for my jack and your bags.

Old 11-04-2007, 11:48 PM
Billiam92407
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with most of the posts. Bags are valuable... but not valuable enough to get you panties in a bunch (If your the kind of guy who wears panties)
Take reasonable measures (Carriage bolts, Locks and Insurance) and then RIDE.
Doo doo happens.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:51 AM
Arvid
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

SoCalRyder has a good idea with the carriage bolt. Mine is a three eighths clevis. But when you look at the photo he supplied on his post,the hex bolt that holds the bracket to the bike is still exposed. I am going one step further, I'm bolting the bracketto the bikethrough a one inch copper tubing end cap (painted black to match) so that you cannot get an end wrench onto the bolt in the narrow space between the bag and the bike. I feel as long as the bags are locked a thief is likely to move on to easier pickens because I have removed speed and access from his opportunity.

Arvid

Old 11-05-2007, 01:15 AM
JohnScrip
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When I return, he and my jack are gone.
What a [SELF-CENSORED]ing [SELF-CENSORED] mother-[SELF CENSORED].

Had similar things happen though -- Unbelievable how some people will readily screw the hand that helps them.

Old 11-05-2007, 01:54 AM
YodaddyKeith
Banned

I wonder how many LB's of ammonium nitrate you can pack in a pair of saddle bags?

Old 11-05-2007, 03:50 AM
ultrac06
Advanced

Someone once said to hang an empty holster from the bike when its parked, as a security measure

Old 11-05-2007, 04:00 AM
YodaddyKeith
Banned

I tried it, but soon missed the holster.

Friend, the way it is today you could place a cocked .45 tween their eyes and they would laff at you.

Old 11-05-2007, 04:34 AM
ron potier
Cruiser

If someone wants your stuff and can't get it, there's a good chance they will try to destroy it. Don't understand this type of thinking, but have seen it way to often. Best bet is to not park it where this could happen. I'm not sure how the new "Castle Doctrines" will see a motorcycle if you shoot someon. But just in case. make sure you are legal to carry.

BTW, if you need to pull it, you better be ready to shoot!

Old 11-05-2007, 06:03 AM
oldhippie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 114 Likes on 67 Posts

ORIGINAL: YodaddyKeith

<snip>

So last night I go to make a beer run and jump on the RKC....I ease out on the hwy(rural area)and see a guy broke down in a cager...He's got a flat.....He has a spare but no jack, so I suggest he go up in my carport and drag my floor jack out to the road and use it.....He really liked that idea cause he has wife n kid in car and wants to get going.....Ok, I drive offto fetch the beer......When I return, he and my jack are gone.

If you see a young black male about 30 driving a new gold Pontiac G6 with atiny tempspare on right front wheel, ask him if his name is Greg.....If it is, shoot him for me, then look in his trunk for my jack and your bags.
...man, that sucks. unbelievable.

I guess I place too much trust in other people. I've proven to myself numerous times that I am a bad judge of character. You've just proven again that people can be a very disappointing lot.

Old 11-05-2007, 06:23 AM
Hogwallop
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe a recording of a rattle snake would work. Have a motion sensor that would turn on the player if the bag is touched. If that doesn't work, maybe you want to try what I found on eBay......

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...22013&rd=1

I have this on my bike and I don't need the recording anymore.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on Saddlebag Theft Prevention