Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on Saddlebag Theft Prevention

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 07:08 AM
big_al
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Thoughts on Saddlebag Theft Prevention

If the bags get stolen great then I will have a reason to get new ones from Arlenn Ness or fat baggers
[sm=badbadbad.gif][sm=badbadbad.gif][sm=badbadbad.gif][sm=badbadbad.gif]
If I can catch the thieve then,
Glock "40" is the answer.

Old 11-05-2007, 07:08 AM
Edmo
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I personally don't know of anyone who has had their bags stolen. Actually I personally don't know of anyone who has had their bike stolen...

I'm sure it happens, but that's what insurance is for. Regardless of how many bolts or locks I put on my bags, they just will not be very effectivewhen the goons push my bike over onto a flatbed trailer and drive off!

Get a "HONDA" bike cover, pay up your insuranceand sleep well...

Edmo

Old 11-05-2007, 07:40 AM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I've had a bike stolen. It's a sickly feeling too. Sure, like everyone else I have insurance too, but I also don't like to take too many chances either, kind of like those folks out here in SoCal buying a house in a well known landslide area, and then complaining when the slide comes. I know I can get my bags replaced, but it's all the stuff inside that becomes a pain in the ***. Wallet with ID, credit cards, personal info, work info, now the crook knows where you live, and maybe has keys to your house and car now too. Tailor made leathers, yea I can buy new ones, but waiting three months or more while they are made is not fun. Sure you can replace the 1K digital camera, but the pictures in it are priceless from moments that can never be recaptured. It's one thing to have your bags empty and stolen within 5 miles of your home. It's another thing when they are filled with lots of important stuff, and you are thousands of miles from home on a road trip. You might get the insurance check in two days, but you just can't just pull into a local dealer and expect them to have the same bags in the same color sitting on their parts shelft. We all know those bags are color-matched special order that takes time.

Like someone else said, all security really is, is making things inconvienent for the bad guys so they move on to simpler prey. Sure they can just come along and lift the whole bike into a truck. They can also "bike-jack you at gunpoint" at a red light too, I've heard of that happening. But if a carriage bolt, or u-bolt makes it just a little more difficult, and the bad guy ends up taking longer than 10 seconds to get your bags, he will probably move on to the next bagger.

Old 11-05-2007, 11:34 AM
07FLHRCMarinePatriot
Road Captain

If it's a Road King just ride with the leather bags, no one wants them!

Old 11-05-2007, 11:53 AM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member

bags dont get stolen around here YET,,,,

so,,, why not, when parked somewhere questionable,, specially overnight,
take 2 sec's. remove bags, take em into the room for the night!
gives ya somethin to do while wifey is blowdryin her hair in the morn!

Old 11-05-2007, 12:38 PM
Windup08
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is there a really good proximity security system out there that doesn't give too many false alarms? My 08 Ultra has the factory installed security system and key fob thingie for disabling the electronics so a casual thief won't be able to hot wire the bike and take off, but I've been debating about what to add to the bike for longer trips and motel stays. HD has the siren and pager, but its only activiated when the bike is tipped or moved....is that correct? Scorpio has a proximity system and pager, but does it give too many false alarms from people just walking by?? I'm planning at least a couple longer trips next year and plan to add to the existing security system, just not sure which to go with yet.

Old 11-05-2007, 01:22 PM
Fandango6
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When on a road trip, we just take our gear out of the bags at night and leave them unlockedwhen at the motel. Have them carry bags that came with the bike. During the day when we stop anywhere, anything of a little value is in the tour pack, would never leave wallet, credit cards ect. in tour pack or saddle bags. Bolting on the saddle is a good idea though, would be a pain in the butt for the thief to try and remove them, especially if you were to use lock nuts.

Old 11-05-2007, 03:38 PM
Firetender
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Windup08

Is there a really good proximity security system out there that doesn't give too many false alarms? My 08 Ultra has the factory installed security system and key fob thingie for disabling the electronics so a casual thief won't be able to hot wire the bike and take off, but I've been debating about what to add to the bike for longer trips and motel stays. HD has the siren and pager, but its only activiated when the bike is tipped or moved....is that correct? Scorpio has a proximity system and pager, but does it give too many false alarms from people just walking by?? I'm planning at least a couple longer trips next year and plan to add to the existing security system, just not sure which to go with yet.
I have the Thunderpager and a friend has the new generation, called the Scorpio. Neither of us have had false alarms, other than after a couple of years when vibration and time require the replacement of a $15.00 proximity sensor. I've only replaced two and I'm on the 7th year of the alarm in operaiton. Having had the system, I'd never pay for the factory HD alarm system unless it was free. It's just so much easier to install, adjust, maintain and use the Aritronix products myself.

Old 11-05-2007, 04:09 PM
texan321
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You know - if someone wants your stuff - they are going to get it - I agree - keep the insurance up to date - park in lighted places and always - always carry your gun![:@]

Old 01-22-2011, 12:39 PM
Terrabella
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Saddlebag Easy Fix for little money

Just use a u bolt as shown. If someone wants the bags they are going to get them but this will slow them down and keep honest people honest. Total cost is less then ten bucks.

Attached Thumbnails  Thoughts on Saddlebag Theft Prevention-saddlebaglocks.jpg  

Quick Reply: Thoughts on Saddlebag Theft Prevention