Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Set up fees

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 09:30 PM
johnu
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Set up fees

ORIGINAL: socalmoe

One of my local dealers/stealers is charging $1295 for set up and freight WTF.
They ask it because otherswill not challenge them about and pay it because the want the bike now and don't know any different.
JU

Old 12-10-2007, 10:53 PM
BIGCHIEF
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check out Laidlaws in Baldwin Park. 10 fwy X 605....good shop and have plenty of choices, of course like everyone else. I've bought there twice now and they are "tops" for So Cal.

Old 12-11-2007, 12:06 AM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

So Cal dealers are negotiating off MSRP. I've had offers from 8 dealers wo said they sell me an '08 Ultra Classic for $1000 below MSRP. Coincidentally, the Freight/Set-up charges ranged from $1000 to $1200 MSRP. Ridiculous!

Old 12-11-2007, 01:22 AM
mtwillyman
Stage II

Legends HD in Silverdale,WA charges $1095.00 for set up and $350.00 for freight on new bikes.I would've bought a new Harley awhile ago if not for this gouging. Prices in western Washington are still high. I'll go down after christmas and see if they will deal. Bikes are sitting on the showroom for months now. FLHX in white really has my attention. This forum has a lot of useful info. Where is a good dealer in WA State???? Peace.

Old 12-11-2007, 01:47 AM
2bigalow
Stage II

The dealer is in Westminister.
By the way the feeis for an Ultra, it is still way too much IMO.
No surprise there. I've been there many, many times over the years and was treated poorly each and every time. I tried to give them the benifit of the doubt, thinking maybe it was the help, but it seems to be the managment. Sad really...

Save yourself some time and go to Orange County HD.Ask for Spyder. He's a good guy.

Old 12-11-2007, 05:27 AM
The Old Man
Road Master

"Monty's" Harley Davidson of West Bridgewater, Mass. is a MSRP dealer with no shipping, no set up fees and 2 hours free labor installing any bling and stuff that you buy there AND the 1000 mile check is FREE. They are an old school dealer. only 5 bikes in a show room only large enough to turn around in. Any members from Mass ...thier number is 508-583-1172.
Speaking of set up I asked the guy doing it on my EGC what was involved...Quote "I put the windshield on and check stuff and make adjustments" Probably adds oil etc also.

Old 12-11-2007, 05:37 AM
big_al
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am in the automotivebusiness and "Dealer Fees" & "Set Up" is just Additional income!!!

Old 12-11-2007, 06:34 AM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: UPSGUY

Im have been looking for a new RKC and one of my local dealers has $450 freight, $350 setup, $275 doc, for a total of $1075, Well after a few trips to the shop they asked what it would take to get me to buy a bike and i said i would pay MSRP and tax and no fees. Two days later i got a call from them and they said if i bought from them before January they would not charge me any fees.
Im going to go visit them again Dec 26th and try to work a deal.
My point exactly! With tax an $18000 motorcycle would go for about $19170 in my state. You shop dealers for that price, or less, total. Once you get a dealer that will sell at a price you're comfortable with it makes no difference how he writes it up. $19000 with no setup, or $18500 setup & $500 for the bike. Tell him he can play games with his accountant, the tax man, whoever he wants, but you're only interested in the bottom line.

Old 12-11-2007, 03:14 PM
JohnC88
Tourer

ORIGINAL: 2bigalow

The dealer is in Westminister.
By the way the feeis for an Ultra, it is still way too much IMO.
No surprise there. I've been there many, many times over the years and was treated poorly each and every time. I tried to give them the benifit of the doubt, thinking maybe it was the help, but it seems to be the managment. Sad really...

Save yourself some time and go to Orange County HD.Ask for Spyder. He's a good guy.
I'll second that. Spyder is a good guy.

Old 12-11-2007, 03:32 PM
AMISH OUTLAW
Road Captain

When I bought my RKC,My bro that works at the plant told me to refuse paying set up fee, cause the only thing a dealer has to do to a king is fill fluids, everything else is set from factory,so i did not pay set up.

Quick Reply: Set up fees