Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chrome Engine Kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 08:10 PM
Trbolvr
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chrome Engine Kit

Posted this in the engine section and didn't get any hits...i'll give it a try here.

I have an 07 EG Standard that I was looking into chroming some of the engine. Harley wants $750 for the kit listed below and Zanottis wants $612. Would it be cheaper for me to just get my parts chromed? And if yes could anyone recommend a good business to do the job? I live in northern Minnesota.

The Harley Chrome Engine Kit includes Rockerâ„¢ Housing and Rockerâ„¢ Cover, Tappet Cover, Transmission Top and Side Cover, Outer Primary, Derby Cover, Cam Cover, and all necessary gaskets.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:43 PM
glide
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Chrome Engine Kit

You probably would do better if you bought the kit being it comes with gaskets and all. If you were to remove and chrome plate everything and then buy the gasket kits , it would probably be close price wise by the time you were done. You could always sell the parts you take off to recover some of your expenses, not to mention turn around time with the bike laid up if you were to rechrome your parts.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:56 PM
Wally
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It's true you could sell the take off parts. Reality is that you either won't sell them or you won't get much for them.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:16 PM
BOARGAURD
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

It is cheaper to take off the parts and have them chromed. I just did this past summer when I installed my cams.

On the lifter blocks, I bought the lifter cover that HD sells and it was cheaper than having the 2 lifter blocks chromed and I thought it looked good.

Either way.... you need to purchase a seperate chrome engine bolt kit from someone on ebay like Republic Cycles. This will make a large difference in the way it turns out.

Prices around Tx were $180 for the rocker covers, $120 for the primary, $35 each for the top and side tranny and $45 for the cam cover. The lifter blocks were $30 each, that is why I bought the HD cover for $45. An engine bolt kit is about $100 on ebay.

Old 01-05-2008, 08:15 AM
Trbolvr
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the information.

Old 01-05-2008, 10:45 AM
BillyG0856
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Trbolvr

Posted this in the engine section and didn't get any hits...i'll give it a try here.

I have an 07 EG Standard that I was looking into chroming some of the engine. Harley wants $750 for the kit listed below and Zanottis wants $612. Would it be cheaper for me to just get my parts chromed? And if yes could anyone recommend a good business to do the job? I live in northern Minnesota.

The Harley Chrome Engine Kit includes Rockerâ„¢ Housing and Rockerâ„¢ Cover, Tappet Cover, Transmission Top and Side Cover, Outer Primary, Derby Cover, Cam Cover, and all necessary gaskets.
I have the same bike....EGS in Fire Red Pearl. I had the engine chrome kit installed....like the looks...especially with the silver motor. One thing I did forget about is the chrome hardware. Kinda ruined the chrome look....but it's coming soon.

Old 01-05-2008, 11:05 AM
XTrooper3936
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I just bought an '08 FLHT and ordered the chrome engine kit with the bike. My dealer sold it to me at a 20% discount, so I'm pretty happy with the deal. Personally, at around $600 with gaskets, I think this is the way to go rather than have the bike down longer than necessary to save a few bucks. I don't know what it would cost you to have the parts chromed, but I can't imagine it could be THAT much less than what the chrome kit sells for.

Old 01-05-2008, 05:35 PM
mtairy biker
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I HAVE THE same kit go for the chrome inner primary and get all the chrome allen hardware for the whole kit