Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lojak on a 08 rkc

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 08:43 PM
eglidetrike1
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Lojak on a 08 rkc

Let me give you my .02cents, as a retired LEO lojack for a bike not worth it heres the reason why. First off when you bike gets stolen you have to notify lojack that the bike is gone you give them a pin # and they activate the system. Next police cars equipped with the lojack detection system have to get a hit on it in there cars, a # will come up on there screen then lojack has to be notified to what the # is, then the tracking starts. When you spot the bike they take off and possibly wreck your bike or beat the ***** off of it. Now you have to say to yourself do you really want this bike back after all this?

Old 01-08-2008, 09:27 PM
08KING
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fast eddie, you got anymore news bout your bike, is the guy talking.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:40 PM
mentor70
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: eglidetrike1

Let me give you my .02cents, as a retired LEO lojack for a bike not worth it heres the reason why. First off when you bike gets stolen you have to notify lojack that the bike is gone you give them a pin # and they activate the system. Next police cars equipped with the lojack detection system have to get a hit on it in there cars, a # will come up on there screen then lojack has to be notified to what the # is, then the tracking starts. When you spot the bike they take off and possibly wreck your bike or beat the ***** off of it. Now you have to say to yourself do you really want this bike back after all this?
I figure if its just the right bike, one would find the transponder in the trash somewhere with the plates and all the stock HD parts that may have been left on the bike!

Old 01-08-2008, 10:44 PM
arthur
Road Master
Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts

I've thoght about this too, and was told that the location of the device is never revealed.
Any ideas on what the cost?

I have Geico insurance and they say the will give me the replacement value of the bike: meaning the replacement value of what the bike is currently worth at bluebook. Does this sound right? I was hoping for a new replacement.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:47 PM
mentor70
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: FLHDRIVER

Mentor 70, you are a very honest guy. Thanks for your candor. Here in NY a number of years ago Lo-Jack had several "Mobbed Up" companies authorized to do the installs. What a scam IMO. I can use the money elsewhere and stand by my original post.
In August/Sept. last year, The LoJack rep in our area told our dealer if they pre-sold 150 units they would send our finance manager to the Bahamas for a week! So we did, and he went!

I got a 50$ spiff [:@].

This is a racket for sure, but is good money for me, so I just do what I do! I get 40$ an install
I can do 10 to 14 a day.

So, lets break it down:

40$ for me

about 25to 50$ for the unit.

a couple of bucks for paperwork.

and 800$ for someone to stuff in there pocket!

Old 01-08-2008, 10:48 PM
eglidetrike1
Road Master

From training that I recieved there not easy to find and if you think about killing all the power it will still work for up to 24hrs.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:20 AM
Cascade Craig
Advanced

Lojack is hooked up to NCIC. So when you call the police and he enters it into the computer it instantly triggers Lojack. I dont believe that PIN method is used anymore. I've recovered stolen cars that the owner had no idea it was equipped with Lojack. They bought the car used and someone else had installed it. I have no idea how the price is negotiated. The others guys I work with said they have been offered it for 300 to 400.00 on a police discount. I would imagine a regular guy could negotiate a friends or family discount or a much better price than 800.00.

There was a great article a few years ago in Car and Driver Magazine. They profiled carjackings and car theft in Johannesburg South Africa. The State Police drive BMW 330i patrol cars, which are a two man unit. When they get a Lojack hit (or other brand) they zero in on the car and most a pursuit starts. The Statey riding shotgun pulls out the AR-15 and starts plunking bad guys. Bad guys crash at 130mph. These guys were not 3rd world country cops either. They are taken from Agencies in USA, United Kingdom and Australia. The average cop has 30 kills. The problem in South Africa with car thefts and car jackings is rampant and this was the answer.

Old 01-09-2008, 01:29 PM
Wecroft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

$900 is steep! I paid $730 to put it on my '06 Ultra. Shop other dealers, you don't have to get it from the selling dealer.

To those whole say "they'll pay me blue book" if it's stolen, try looking up your bike's blue book value at KBB.com and then try to convince me that you're not going to take it up the wazoo if your bike is stolen.

To those who praise GAP insurance, that only helps if you owe more than the bike is worth. If your ride is paid off or paid down below the bike's value, you're just as screwed as anyone else.

Old 01-09-2008, 01:38 PM
The Old Man
Road Master

The cost of Lojac is almost the same as my deductable...why bother!!!

Old 01-09-2008, 01:43 PM
Wecroft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: The Old Man

The cost of Lojac is almost the same as my deductable...why bother!!!
If you think the only loose you're going to take is the deductible, you obviously have no idea what your insurance company is going to pay you.

Quick Reply: Lojak on a 08 rkc