Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Doherty Power Pacc - Install How To

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 09:10 AM
Kern
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Doherty Power Pacc - Install How To

Very nice post Dalton.

One question: Do you know what the CFM is for the filter you installed? Also, I assume the filter is waterproof?

I've been looking for a new setup, but I am having a hard time narrowing it down.

Thanks

Old 01-27-2008, 10:05 AM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Kern

Very nice post Dalton.

One question: Do you know what the CFM is for the filter you installed? Also, I assume the filter is waterproof?

I've been looking for a new setup, but I am having a hard time narrowing it down.

Thanks
Don't remember what the CFM is. No filter is waterproof, if air can get through, so can water eventually. I think you might be asking if the element will not "dissolve" in water like typical paper elements, the anwer is yes. And it is washable and then you mist it with filter oil.

Old 01-27-2008, 10:30 AM
RKCUSTOMDOG
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dalton, I thought the well deservered " Pat on the Back " for DAWG in a recent thread was great, I would like to add how much your " How To " threads with Pics help me and I'm sure a lot of others, tackle some of these projects. Thanks, Jim.

Old 01-27-2008, 10:44 AM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: RKCUSTOMDOG

Dalton, I thought the well deservered " Pat on the Back " for DAWG in a recent thread was great, I would like to add how much your " How To " threads with Pics help me and I'm sure a lot of others, tackle some of these projects. Thanks, Jim.
Thanks!

Sometimes I wonder if some of the simpler stuff, like an air cleaner install is really worth documenting, but then again, a lot of guys buying their first bikes sometimes dont know which end of a screwdriver to hold, so if any info I can get out to those people helps, I have done what I set out to do. Also, sometimes the info helps with a purchase decision either for or against, such as the Doherty, it is expensive, but seeing the pics may influence some to go with it, and some to just say it is overkill.

BTW, you are running a very similar engine setup to my 03 RKC, TW5G's; Rinehart TDs, HTCC heads and pistons and 95". You dont mention the pistons and heads? I was tuning mine with a PC III and was able to tweak it to 102hp and 112tq. Those 5Gs are great low end cams, but they do fall off quite a bit above 4000rpm, but I never revved it that hard during normal riding anyway. It was a fun bike to ride.

How do you like that setup?

Old 01-27-2008, 10:53 AM
tallboy56
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You might want to check out the last two issues of American Iron. One of the tech writers has several replacement induction systems that he compares with complete bench testing and good explanation of what to expect.
ORIGINAL: Kern

Very nice post Dalton.

Thanks

Old 01-27-2008, 11:09 AM
RKCUSTOMDOG
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dalton, I really like this set-up,the pistons are Wiseco Forged Dome Top, the heads are a little bit of a mystery to me, they were sent out to CA. and since that builder has left town, I'm not sure who did the work, and what all was done. The build started out with S+S 585's, I changed to the Bob Wood TW5G and geared it down to 3.37 for the low end gain, I don't notice it falling off at 4000 rpm, it will bang into the Rev Limiters at 6200 rpm if I let it. I know I'm leaving some on the table, But I love the sound of these pipes, and the Seat of the Pants Dyno feels great. Then again, I'm reading about you and Phil, Building your 120's and I would love that kind of Power. But, just had a total knee replacement, 3 months ago and will have a total hip replacement on the other leg in April. Once I get past that I will re-evaluate what I want to do concerning Motorcycles. Pretty sure a bigger engine is in my future. Jim.

Old 01-27-2008, 11:17 AM
Dennydp
Elite HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

Ive been runnin the Doherty power pac for over a year now.It is truely a work of art and works well.Your pictures are a good idea.The install was easy but never hurts to show how easy it is to do yourself.Youve got an awesome scoot,fun to read about it

[IMG]local://upfiles/45011/EC28F631128C4AC7807435A286A770D8.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-27-2008, 12:30 PM
Kern
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Dalton
Don't remember what the CFM is. No filter is waterproof, if air can get through, so can water eventually. I think you might be asking if the element will not "dissolve" in water like typical paper elements, the anwer is yes. And it is washable and then you mist it with filter oil.
Thanks for the response. I understand thatthe filter is washable / reusable.

I guess what I was looking foris how the system isintended to react to riding in the rain, sitting in the rainetc?

I like the fact that the filter is blue, when you recharge it, is the filter oil blue as well?

Old 01-27-2008, 01:11 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Guy....

After chatting about this piee with both you & Kevin, I have one on order now too.

What did you do to plug those couple of extra holes that are probably designed for the crankbreather plumbing. Will a pipe plug of something like that work?

Old 01-27-2008, 01:27 PM
Raxus
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dalton

ORIGINAL: RKCUSTOMDOG

Thanks!

Sometimes I wonder if some of the simpler stuff, like an air cleaner install is really worth documenting, but then again, a lot of guys buying their first bikes sometimes dont know which end of a screwdriver to hold, so if any info I can get out to those people helps, I have done what I set out to do. Also, sometimes the info helps with a purchase decision either for or against, such as the Doherty, it is expensive, but seeing the pics may influence some to go with it, and some to just say it is overkill.

BTW, you are running a very similar engine setup to my 03 RKC, TW5G's; Rinehart TDs, HTCC heads and pistons and 95". You dont mention the pistons and heads? I was tuning mine with a PC III and was able to tweak it to 102hp and 112tq. Those 5Gs are great low end cams, but they do fall off quite a bit above 4000rpm, but I never revved it that hard during normal riding anyway. It was a fun bike to ride.

How do you like that setup?
Dalton, I for one love these little "how to's". Even tho I can do basic maintanence, it is still nice to see what some of these items look like to install beside the finished piece. Please, keep doing these and know that there are a few of us out there that appreciate it!

Quick Reply: Doherty Power Pacc - Install How To