Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Duals and SERT ???

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 03:48 PM
fireman403
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Duals and SERT ???

I think I posted here before, but just in case, here's a quick intro: I've been riding for the last 35 years, currently on a 2006 Electra Glide Classic. I live in Southeastern NC (where we can ride all year and without snow tires!)

I've usually been able to find answers just by browsing the forum or doing a search. I just haven't found answers to these questions, so here goes.

I'm strongly considering a set of Rinehart True Duals primarily for better sound (I already have the SC Air Cleaner and SC Slip-ons). If I get some better performance or cooler operation with the Rineharts, that would just be a plus. Currently, my local dealer is offering 25% offaftermarket parts, so the new pipes would be about $740. However, he also said that I would need the SERT ($399), plus 3 hrs labor to install everything (at $77.50/hr).

I would have no problem installingthe pipes, and I'm pretty sure I could handle the SERT, I just don'twant to become a computer programmer. Myquestion is this?Has anyone successfully installed pipes and the SERT using a basic map?

By the way; I'm not trying to start (or re-start) a SERT vs PC debate - there are plenty of those already.

Thanks in advance for any input.
Darrell

Old 03-04-2008, 03:56 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Duals and SERT ???

Using a SERT is easier than walking and chewing gum if you just flash with a base map. It's that easy. Get all the stuff to your house and come back here and we'll walk you through it.

And yes, a canned map is good for a simple Stage I build.

Old 03-04-2008, 05:28 PM
Duracell
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,655 Likes on 580 Posts

+1

I'm simple and I did it.

Wait,,,, I mean,,,, I did it and it was simple,,,,,, yea that's it.

Old 03-04-2008, 05:37 PM
04 rkcrr
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would think you can find a better price on those pipes some where else.

Old 03-04-2008, 06:03 PM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 305 Likes on 226 Posts

The SERT canned maps are for Harley products only. Since Harley doesn't offer true duals, Your going to want to have it tuned on a dyno if your going to go with the Rinehart True Duals. You'd be wasting the money you spent on the pipes if you didn't get it tuned.

I would recommend finding a cheap price on the internet for the pipes and the SERT, install the pipes yourself if you can ( not hard ) and find a good indy tuner that is used to tuning true duals.The most import thing is the guy doing the tuning. He can make it sing or he can make it run likecrap.There are some great tunersworking at dealerships but there are also a bunch of rookies that only now how to download a canned map and print the dyno run. Make sure you are comfortable with the guy that tunes your bike.

Can you tell I had a bad tuning experience at a dealer????

Old 03-04-2008, 06:08 PM
jcbpa
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just to get my 2 cents in; I can't speak about the Sert, but I'd love to know how to work the thing... at any rate take a good look at the Bub 7 TD pipes. There's a good sight with sound. I am putting those on my RKC but I'm going to include the crossover simply because I like the way it looks and it is supposed to help low-mid torque nominally. I almost bought the Rineharts, but I'm stuck on a slash cut end look. At any rate I agree with 04 rkcrr you can find them for less money and do the install yourself.

Old 03-04-2008, 06:48 PM
skltr
Ultimate HDF Member

+1

Old 03-04-2008, 09:19 PM
fireman403
Novice

Hey, thanks for all the replies so far. I thinking I'll try the entire install myself including the SERT and usea canned map to start with. Like I said, I'm not looking to burn the tires off the bike; I'm just love that Rinehart sound. I'm know it's just wrong tosay this, but If I wanted a very fast bike anymore, I'd go back to that Ninja I used to have.

As for the price of the pipes, I'vechecked almost 10 places on the internet, and the dealers price was the best so far.

Thanks again.

Old 03-04-2008, 10:30 PM
1Harleyrdr
Road Captain

Try eastern Preformance

Old 03-04-2008, 11:00 PM
rm4040
Cruiser

Like EdwardK said. There are only canned maps for Harley components with SERT. If you put duals and Rineharts on you will have to get it Dyno tuned. The exception to this is to contact Latus Harley and buy a map which they most likely have since they do allot of tuning with all types of components.

Quick Reply: Duals and SERT ???