Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Goldwing or Ultra Classic

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 07:05 AM
mcman
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Goldwing or Ultra Classic

I own both a '02 Gold Wing and an '06 Ultra Classic. They are most probably the last two bikes I'll own. I'm 61 years old. I love both very much for different reasons. Most have already been covered in this thread. For looks, although I think that both bikes look good, the Ultra wins hands down. If you want something that runs like a bat our of h---, it's the Wing. Straight out of the box it will most probably run a lot faster than you'll ever want to go with no mods. You don't have to spend any $$ to make it go like almost everybody does on H-Ds. Comfort is really a toss up. Both are extremely comfortable.

As I said, I love both. I was on the Wing yesterday, today if might be the Ultra. I suppose, if I just had to make a choice, I'd keep the Ultra. It is just an all around fun motorcycle--looks, sound, etc. I have a saying that I use a lot. "There are a lot of bikes around, but only one (1) motorcycle and that just happens to be Harley-Davidson. That's just the way it is. Buy one of each. Hey, you only go around once. Enjoy.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:41 AM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts

[sm=ummmmokay.gif][sm=alcoholic.gif]

http://www.bmcycles.com/harleyVShonda.swf .....nuff said.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:56 AM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Redneck,

Great post, but your cover is blown! The further you got into it, the thinner the redneck accent became. What year did you graduate Harvard?

Old 03-10-2008, 08:17 AM
Retired_Ted
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: UltraDave

ORIGINAL: Retired_Ted

In my opinion, either bike is a winner. I owned and modified a Road King for 2 years and loved it - some guy gave me nearly what I paid for the bike and he now owns it. I have driven the Ultra (worked in HD service for little over a year) and the Ultra is a fine bike. The Goldwing which I currently own is heavier but has more power than the Ultra. Part of the decision depends on your dealers - if the HD dealer is great, that helps. I do my own service so the dealership thing didn't matter. I wanted to try the GW and so far, other than whimpy suspension, the GW is OK. It's pretty hot in the summer in spite of being water cooled - not any different than the HD. My wife has arthritus and the GW seems to fit her pretty well (we're both 62). If you've never owner a HD, you would love it. Both bikes have their attributes and, if I had room for 2 in the garage, the other would be a HD.
Retired Ted has been on this forum for some time and has always given sound advice. He is right on again with his assessment of your dilemma that both are fine bikes. You're best course of action is to rent both of them and putsome miles on each then make yourdecision.

RetiredTed: glad to see you're stillwith us on theForum.

Thanks, Dave. This is a great forum and I look at it almost every day - good people here.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:29 AM
TNBagger
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last year I sold my '02 Goldwing and bought a used'06 Ultra. I traded in the '06 Ultra for my new '08 Ultra which now has a 103" BB stage II setup. The Honda still had more power than my '08 Ultra and was smooth as a car. And that's the reason I sold the Wing. It was like a convertible car in smoothness but it had no soul. It was predictable and boring. Here are the major pluses for the Ultra over the Wing IMHO:

1. Better looks - nothing looks better than a Harley
2. Better handling - the Wing felt heavier riding in the Smokies
3. More character - the Wing is sterile
4. Great dealer network - Harley dealers make for fun visits while Wing dealers are boring
5. Large riding fraternity - I meet many more nice people on Harleys

The list could go one but this has been my experience. . .

Old 03-10-2008, 08:31 AM
olbagr
Cruiser

Texas Redneck hit it right on the head. Goldwing was fine, until you had to work on it. Replaced the air cleaner twice on the 02 I had. My frame did not break but was out of spec according to the Honda go / no-go gauge. They layed it over at the dealer and rewelded/painted it. Cheap plastic on plastic connections. Every time you remove a panel something broke. Was on the sixth set of tires at 75,000.
Honda is balking at warrenty issues now like TR said, but the warrenty was better than HD. 7 year warrenty for about $400. Don't think HD could match that.
Mama has never forgiven me for selling off the wing and buying a Ultra. To her it was more comfortable, but I find the Ultra to bemore comfortable.
Mama may want another wing in the future, but it will have to share the space with MY Ultra.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:44 AM
IBHarley
Road Master

If you want a machine that runs buy a Goldwing If you want a Motorcycle that has soul but the Ultra 2 great bikes but there can be only one Ultra

Old 03-10-2008, 08:53 AM
shagnasty
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You gotta decide, do you want to be in the family or just ride. I know there are several WING events but the family of Harley riders is what makes the ride so much better. I'm sure the WING is a great bike. Maybe even preferred by some, but it's not the same ride. The support from HD riders is unique. Coming from a VTX 1800 to a Road King, I can tell you that the Honda will walk the dog on the Harley. BUT, when you ride with family it just feels better. Plus you can park up front at Hooters! Ride both and make up your own mind. Its your dollar so spend it like you want. The main thing is get your knees in the breeze!

Old 03-10-2008, 08:59 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 614 Likes on 383 Posts

I test rode a Wing before buying my Ultra Classic. Biggest differences were the Harley's low center gravity and low speed handling, passenger comfort, andstyling.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:00 AM
jsimo7
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had both and the Ultra is a creates many more smiles. The GW feels like you are sitting on top driving it, the Harley feels like it is part of you. It's much easier to manuver. The GW is nice on the freeway but no nicer than my 08 Ultra. The HD is nice anytime your riding

Quick Reply: Goldwing or Ultra Classic