Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Goldwing or Ultra Classic

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 09:13 AM
kruisin
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Goldwing or Ultra Classic

I owned a 81 GW Interstate and it was a great bike. I just never liked the newer ones, they just got more and more plastic"y". I went with a Road King, it has the look and feel of what a motorcycle should be. I may someday move up to an Ultra someday but with the detatchable king tour pak and the hard bags on my RK I won't be real soon.

IMO. The Harley moves my soul and is more than a mode of transport.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:28 AM
drrandall1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will they let gold wings in sturgis?

Old 03-10-2008, 09:48 AM
bobbyg12
Cruiser

+1

HogBack, you've basically hit on all the points that I was going to raise!! Haven't owned both, but put plenty of miles on both (rentals) & I own the Harley. Wouldn't trade it for anything else.

ORIGINAL: HogBack

Have owned both, plus an 00 Yamaha Venture full dress.Between the Wing and the Ultra,Harley is my choice. The Wing has more power, quieter, better weather protection, no personality, but the Harley handles much better, feel muchlighter, and easier to work on, 10+ MPG over the Wing, and has great character. The metrics never motivated so much as a smile, just a way to get to work.

I do not run more than 75 much, so if you are into higher speed touringat 85 plus all day long, better rent and make your own call.

Later

Old 03-10-2008, 10:07 AM
stukes_md
Tourer

You shouldlook at the Road Glide also. With the fixed faring it is comparable to the GW. You couldadd a tour pack for extra storage.

My neighbor has an '08 GW. He loves the NAV and the stereo and keeps hisSofttail Springer covered in the garage. It does sound like the air cars from the Jetsons cartoon. After riding it, it makes my Road King feel like a small bike.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:14 AM
racklefratz
Road Master

ORIGINAL: br7l32

I have been deliberating for the past 2 or 3 weeks now and am leaning really hard towards the wing. I live literally out in the middle of nowhere and it's 200 to 300 miles to anywhere. Has anyone owned both and if you had the same decision to make again which one would you choose?
As you acknowledge, and as many of the responders have noted, you can't expect to get an unbiased and objective opinion on this forum. That's just the way life is. These people are Harley afficionados to the core, and you're not going to get any of 'em to admit they're riding a bike they don't like. Some of 'em can bite their lip and admit that the 'Wing is a "sorta' decent ride", but that's about as good as it gets. Also, notice how the majority of responses strongly favoring the Ultra Classic are high on emotion but provide almost no hard factual comparison. Comments about the "kind" of folks who ride a particular model or brand of bike might be interesting, but they're irrelevant when it comes down to you and your ownership experience, unless you make your buy decision based on what other people like. I wouldn't think of doing that - I'm going to be the one riding the bike I buy.

To establish a modicum of credibility, I've owned three 'Wings and three Harleys, along with prolly 20 or more bikes of other brands over the years. I've been riding 50 years, longer than many of these guys are old. So much for credibility.

I currently own both a '04 Wing AND a '08 Ultra Classic, and I can most definitely be objective in characterizing them. I have my money in both of them, and I ride one of 'em or the other about every day.

Based solely on your statement "I live literally out in the middle of nowhere and it's 200 to 300 miles to anywhere.", I'd recommend the 'Wing without reservation. It's simply a more comfortable ride. The UC may have "more soul", but that "soul" translates into discomfort on long rides.

Here are some factoids:

The UC will turn heads everywhere you go. If you're into profiling, and many people are, maybe it's the choice for you. However, 2-300 miles from nowhere, there are no heads to turn, and "getting there" may emerge as the prime objective.

The 'Wing has vastly better protection from the elements. The windshield is not only up/down adjustable, but it's simply larger, resulting in better wind protection, as well as being vented for flow-through when the weather's warm. The UC has none of that. Add to that the fact that the fairing on the 'Wing offers lower body protection the UC cannot. The UC "lowers", even with their "adjustable" properties, provide only minimal windblast protection. If it's cold outside, I always have to wear some sort of added leg protection on the UC due cold air over the tops of the lowers; there's no need for that riding the 'Wing.

Someone said the UC's a better handler. Not true. It's not bad, but the 'Wing's horizontally-opposed cylinders keep a lot more of it's engine weight down low, and that lowers the center of gravity, making low speed handling a snap. It's a lot more competent at low speeds. It's proportional braking system and sport-tuned suspension, combined with larger tires and better traction, gives the rider a level of confidence impossible to achieve on the UC. The 'Wing also has anti-dive front suspension, a nice touch. The UC does not. Lastly in the handling department, on a 'Wing, you're going to be able to functionally USE all those performance features, because it has considerably more power
(118 hp) than a [size="2"]stock UC - HD refused to publish it's horsepower, but it's around 70 or so. Additionally, the 'Wing comes with all that power from the factory; there's no need to pump another $6-8000 of perform

Old 03-10-2008, 10:17 AM
daharleyrdr
Tourer

Well funny you should ask that. Ive never been on a "LeadWing" as some call it although we all came from a beginning, riding foreign bikes, myself included. I was at the deler picking up my new 08Classic, and started talking to a guy that was also there to pick up his 08 Ultra. Said this was his first Harley, sold his Kawasaki and was undecided even took a new "LeadWing" for a ride, didnt like it very plastic, heavy, more money, took an Ultra for a ride loved it, bought it , Crimson Red beautiful color and saved himself 1K said it was the best bike he's owned!!!! In the end you have to choose what you want, youll be riding it and paying for it!! Ill still wave to you on the "Wing" when I see you, although not with the same enthusiasm! Ride Safe, brother! Bill

Old 03-10-2008, 10:37 AM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Uncle Scrooge

Hey Redneck,

Great post, but your cover is blown! The further you got into it, the thinner the redneck accent became. What year did you graduate Harvard?
Yup, thought that was funny. About half way through I was able to understand what he was typing.
Ron

Old 03-10-2008, 10:49 AM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

if you have to ask then get the wing and be happy

Old 03-10-2008, 10:50 AM
rivercityslim
Road Master
Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts

ORIGINAL: kruisin

I owned a 81 GW Interstate and it was a great bike. I just never liked the newer ones, they just got more and more plastic"y".
I have never been interested in the newer Wings for the same reason. I rode an 83 Goldwing Interstate for seven years, and it was a remarkably trouble free machine. At the time I bought it, what I reallywanted was an Electra Glide (I wanted bags and a windshield after 25 years on open bikes with bungee cords for storage devices), but financially that was out of reach. The Wing was affordable, met the criteriaand kept me in the wind for a while. And I was able to sell it for almostas much as I paid for it.

Isold it to buy the 89 Ultra I ride now. When I bought the Ultra it was stock, and while it ran and handled well it just did not have anywhere near the power of the old Wing. I was actually surprised at what a dog it was performance-wise. Buttheold lady found the Harley much more comfortable than the old Wing, andI was happyjust to finally havethe big Harley after 35 years of riding (mostly Triumphs prior to the Wing). After a couple grand in mods, my Harley now performs better than the old Wing ever did, and it looks and sounds way better than any Wing ever could.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:52 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

ORIGINAL: Retired_Ted

In my opinion, either bike is a winner. I owned and modified a Road King for 2 years and loved it - some guy gave me nearly what I paid for the bike and he now owns it. I have driven the Ultra (worked in HD service for little over a year) and the Ultra is a fine bike. The Goldwing which I currently own is heavier but has more power than the Ultra. Part of the decision depends on your dealers - if the HD dealer is great, that helps. I do my own service so the dealership thing didn't matter. I wanted to try the GW and so far, other than whimpy suspension, the GW is OK. It's pretty hot in the summer in spite of being water cooled - not any different than the HD. My wife has arthritus and the GW seems to fit her pretty well (we're both 62). If you've never owner a HD, you would love it. Both bikes have their attributes and, if I had room for 2 in the garage, the other would be a HD.
Good post, Ted.

Quick Reply: Goldwing or Ultra Classic