Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tour Pack & Speaker Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 01:35 PM
Peppa1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tour Pack & Speaker Wiring

I currently have a detachable tour pack on my 08 Ultra and when I take it off I have a LARGE bundle of wires (radio antenna, cb antenna, tour pack lights and wires for each of the 2 speakers )to stash under my seat and was wondering how I could go about making a short splice of the tour pack lights and 2 rear speakers close to the rear of the seat and only have a small bundle there and then pull the long splice off when I pull the tour pack off and set it aside. I'm not much of an electrical guy so I need some help. Thanks

Old 03-27-2008, 03:52 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Default RE: Tour Pack & Speaker Wiring

What you want to do is not complicated and it doesn't require an electrician.

IIRC, there are twelve color-coded wires going to the speakers, passenger controls, etc. You can purchase at your HD store 12 chamber Deutsch connectors, male and female, and the pins and sockets that go in them. Cut your existing harness where you want, then reassemble the wires with the pins and sockets at the two ends of the harness created when you cut it, install them in the Deutsch connectors so when the connectors are connected the color-coded wires match each other.For example, the Deutsch connector chambers are numbered 1-12. If you have an orange wire in chamber 1 of the male Deutsch connector, make sure you have the corresponding orange wire inchamber 1 of the female Deutsch connector--and so on until all the wires are installed.

HD also uses 6 chamber Deutsch connectors so you would need two of these instead of a single 12 chamber version. HD also uses Molex connectors on the '07 and '08 bikes for the handlebar control wirinng. You could usethe Molex handlebar connector with the connector it plugs into. The pins and sockets forMolex are brand specific--use Molex pins and sockets for a Molex connector.

Crimping the pins and sockets isn't difficult and some guys do it without special tools. I found that a Philmore WS26 crimping tool, 7.99 at Fry's Electronics, works well.

I have done a fair amount of this type of wiring on my bike and a buddy's; though not the same project you are considering. Another buddy was considering making his TP detachable on his '06 Ultra and we investigated the project, but never did it.

It's very doable; just tedious because you are assembling pins and sockets on 24 wires or so.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:17 AM
Peppa1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info. Still deciding on what I want to do. I have it detachable now, there's just alot of wires under the seat now.

Old 03-28-2008, 01:48 PM
cfmii11
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have any pictuires of the process?

Thanks,
Charlie

Old 03-28-2008, 01:57 PM
mvinc01
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just a quick note on the Deutsch connectors. They are great to work with and make it all very clean, but they are very pricey from HD. The pins too. You can pick these up on Ebay for half price or less and that is for the whole connector....male housing, female housing, and th pins & sockets. From HD you will spend $24 for the 12 sets ofpins/sockets alone. Search Deutsch on Ebay. Also, as harleypingman stated, you don't need the special tools for this. I've done many of these and have used both kinds of the pins/sockets. There are two kinds...a fold over crimp kind from HD and also a solid crimp kind from the manufacturer. You can use standard crimpers and needle nose pliers for either kind. Just take your time.

Another thing you can do is hit your local car stereo installation shop. They probably have whats called Quick Cable (or something like it). It is a multi lead shielded cable. The stuff I used for my stereo install had nine leads, each wire insulated, then all sheilded in an outer insulation. You only need a couple feet of this stuff. They may just give it to you, orfor a few bucks. Anyway, you can use this for your middle harness with the connectors on each end. Throw some 3/8" split loom around it to protect.

Best of luck.

Old 03-28-2008, 02:03 PM
mvinc01
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: cfmii11

Does anyone have any pictuires of the process?

Thanks,
Charlie
Charlie, I havesome pics at home. If you don't get any, I'll post up some later tonight.

Old 03-28-2008, 03:06 PM
cfmii11
Road Master

So you would definately go with the 12 pin connector?
I was wondering if 2 sixes would work just as well and be easier to hide.
Just a thought.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:50 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Found these pre-crimped Deutsch connectors; very reasonable price and the crimping is already done--haven't tried them but I sure will next time I have some connectors to assemble:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KP-De...3286.m20.l1116

They may be just the ticket for dealing with the wiring involved with detachable Ultra TP's.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:07 PM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

When I had my tourpak set up for detaching..............I did the following -

I never use the CB, so I took that wire and bundled it up and tucked it down next to the battery. I installed a hidden AM/FM antenna inside the fairing, then I took that antenna wire and bundled it up and tucked it down next to the battery. The lights and speakers have quick disconnect plugs installed from the factory........so it just left 3 wires to hide when the tourpak was off. I just tucked them inside the saddlebags when the tourpak was off...........nice and clean and easy to do.

Steve

Old 03-29-2008, 09:08 AM
RCopeland1
Cruiser

Heres a good place, very fast shipping, Ive bought several from them........ http://www.deutschconnector.com/

Quick Reply: Tour Pack & Speaker Wiring