Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FLHPI Wiring

Old 04-03-2008, 06:39 PM
sailnjay
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FLHPI Wiring

Does anyone have a service manual that covers a 2002 FLHPI that might help me out with a wiring question. I am trying to hook up a GPS. There are a number of wires that are not connected to anything under the nacelle but none are hot when I check them with my meter. There is also a plug that appears to be a female 1/4" phone plug on the right side below the handle bars and a toggle switch on the left side. I cannot figure out what it is wired to. There is also a deutsch connector ziptied to the crash bars. Are these standard on the police bikes or have they been added?I have started trying to trace some or these but Ihaven'thad much luck yet. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Jay

Old 04-03-2008, 07:34 PM
jbhawley
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: FLHPI Wiring

my first guess without my service manual at hand, is that they are left-overs from the police set up.
There should be several connectors in the fairing as the inner wire harness is basically the same for the police and stock bikes.
on RK bikes there is supposed to be two toggle switches, one on each side of the neck, behind the nacelle and in front of the tank.. one is for the passing lamps (on/off) and the other i cannot remember...sorry. The phone plug you refer may be a ground plug that plugs in to the nacelle neck area beside the big nut that hold the triple trees to the frame.
Sorry i can not be more specific.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:56 PM
dougbk
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

That bundle of wires (about 7 or 8) is for wiring police lights and such, the other end of them should be about the saddle bag crash bar under the seat fairing, they are there so you don't have to run a harness, but they are not connected on either end. In that same area there should be a wire bundle with a large rectangle plug with a screw in the middle of it that is for the siren amplifier.The plug on the crash bar is for the siren speaker.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:42 PM
choochoo
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

your 2002 service manual has it in the back of the book,
and Hd also offeres and addendum of just the wires in the police bike

Old 04-04-2008, 12:03 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

The Deutsch connector zip tied to the crash bar is for the siren.

If you willidentify the wire colors, I can check them against the wiring diagrams in my '04 HD Service Manual Police Supplement. The black colored wires are ground wires.

Also, you might try the green w/ red stripe wire and see if it has powerwith the red switch on the right handlebar controls in the Aux position. This should be for the pole lamp circuit.It's been a couple of years since I removed those switches, so I may have the switch position/label wrong.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:09 PM
sailnjay
Road Captain

Thanks for the help guys. I may not have a chance to work on it until Sunday but I have a pretty good idea what to do now.

Jay

Old 04-05-2008, 08:11 AM
sdb29
6th Gear

I'm pretty sure the female 1/4" phone plug is for the mic for the PA system