Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer Wiring Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 01:38 PM
chesterbud
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer Wiring Problems

My HD mechanic has wired my bike for a trailer and we/he is having an issue. This is his first bike using an isolator.

Based on comments I had seen in the forum here I had him order a Trailer Isolator Relay version (Part 07660 from Electrical Connections) and a 5-4 wire converter Part 07664. He has them installed and all wires seem to be hooked up correctly. The lights and turn signals work fine but the brake lights don't seem to have enough juice to run the trailer lights. Using a light probe to test the plug on the bike shows that thebrake light is really dull on both prongs (brakes and each signal share a prong). So applying the brakes sends power to the plug but not enough to run the trailer lights.

Does anyone have any ideas on what's wrong?

Please I'm aware of the warranty issues so input on that won't help..

Thanks....

Old 04-28-2008, 01:53 PM
Windup08
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Trailer Wiring Problems

1) I assume you have the power lines from the isolator connected to the battery?
2)There are 2 sets of wires coming off the isolator, one set goes to the trailer lights, the other set connects to the bike's wiring harness....is it possible you have the sets reversed? (wires that should be going to the bike's harness are going to the trailer)
3)Could have a bad isolator not actually getting juice directly from the battery.....the symptoms sound a lot like wiring directly tapped into the bike wires without its own power source.

Old 04-28-2008, 02:19 PM
chesterbud
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the suggestions.

Looking at the wiring, the mechanic has done a great job with all connections. First he soldered them, heat wrapped them and then put a sleeve over all the wires he could. Then he's neatly tie wrapped them into place. There's really not much for me to look at without tearing into his work and at that point he may wash his hands of it.

I can see the two battery wires hooked up correctly. He told me he had wired the unit in backwards to start with but then wired it in correctly. I'm wonderig if that may have damaged the isolator. I have put a call into The Electrical Connection to find out if that's possible.

Old 04-28-2008, 03:09 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 286 Likes on 190 Posts

EC, Lewis, is a good person, very smart too....he'll help I'm sure.

I use the "jumper" connection I found in the J&P catalog. works great, no issues. It goes between the factory connection and allows you to wire in your trailer connection.....clean and simple.
Good luck, and I have pulled a trailer since 95, no problems and no dealer issues....wouldn't leave home without my Bushtec.