Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Denver / Laughlin / Denver

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 12:41 AM
lymanwhite
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Denver / Laughlin / Denver

Back after one pdc ride. Good advice on hotels. I did a little work on line, and got the idea that some distance from the event would save $. Like it's really about seeing how cheap we can go!
I took mostly back roads out of denver (285 over and down to 160 at Saguache. Durango night one. R Glide was sweet, 6th over Wolfe Creek on cruise! But I was running single and light. Until Durango, and just kinda bumped into this nice blond. Well it almost cost me a couple of days boys, but I managed to 'disengage' and get a mid morning start.
2 nd day put me on 160 again on a bee line to the 4 corners. I'm embarrased to admit that after all these year out west, this would be my first trip that I can remember anyhow. This land starts out dry less than 100 miles from Durango and then gets really dry. Classic escalante plateau. About 200 some miles I caught 89 south and then blended into the I-40 run into Flagstaff where I started to see bunches of bikes!
Droppping out of Flag the temperature starts to warm nicely, and by the time I stopped that evening in Kingman AZ it was a nice 65 or so. Kingman hosts Route 66 museum and exhibits. You can even blow torch a Hwy 66 road sign or two...
The rooms in Kingman, a really well maintained Best Western ran ABOUT $90, NO MINIMUM stay either.
From there it was a nice 30 miles into Lughlin. BTW Laughlin is in the next state over... as in Arizona, not Nevada. This little know fact was impressed upon me when I disscovered the HELMET LAW. Yes, Arizona has a well enforced helmet law. It was certainly providing a good source of revenues for the local police.
The event had a lot to do and I found my traditional favorites including IronBraid.
I ran the river as far as Lake Havasu south and up to the Hoover Dam. With another day or two a nice loop up into Utah and western CO could be fun.
One group I met had it wired: All their bikes had Wisoncisn and Michigan plates, so I struck up a conversation. They actually group hire (for the last 5 years) a double deck semi that holds up to 25 bikes. They bikes load, with any **** you don't want to carry on the plane. Yes, they fly, and then get their bikes in Las Vegas! Their bikes were still Michigan dirty though, and almost all metric.

The return was also eventful, will post another time.

Old 05-02-2008, 03:07 AM
GasCan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Denver / Laughlin / Denver

Thanks for the writeup. Sounds like a good haul...and glad to hear you found some friendlies and a blonde along the way.

Old 05-02-2008, 03:55 AM
highwayman1224
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Ummm, Laughlin IS in Nv. & NO, we DO NOT have a helmet law in Az. Sheesh!!!!

Old 05-02-2008, 04:49 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts

I always check the helmet law website before going on trips. I keep my *** & what little money I have to spend out of the states with manditory helmet laws for adults. I figure that at 60 years old I can make my own decisions. Sometimes makes for longer routes but what the hell, I'm out there to ride anyway!

Good to hear you had a safe & enjoyable trip.

Ride safe,

John

Old 05-05-2008, 03:57 PM
thefixer
Tourer

Sounds like a nice ride!
Pardon my ignorance, but what is a "pdc"ride?

Old 05-05-2008, 11:52 PM
lymanwhite
Intermediate

Ummm, Laughlin IS in Nv. & NO, we DO NOT have a helmet law in Az. Sheesh!!!!
OK, so my blitz was showing... But it was pretty damn cool.