Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems removing rear speakers from 06 Ultra?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 11:17 PM
Bird2u
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems removing rear speakers from 06 Ultra?

I have asked two different dealers about removal of my TP on my 06 Ultra using a quick detach system. I was told by a salesman that it would be no problem. However the technicians seem to have a different take on it. I have been told that removal of the rear two speakers from the NEW stereo system would cause problems. Such as making the system inoperable. They further said that if it would have to be brought back to the dealership to have it "flashed" to fix the inoperable state every time I put the rear speakers back in the system. I have not been able to get a clearcut answer whether this is true or not. Does anybody have any information or experience with this?

Secondly, If in fact you can remove the TP without causing problems with the stereo is there any special consideration for the CB coax? Is there a quick connect for that? Will that have any adverse affect on the SWR when using the CB? or should I just plan on not using the CB when the tourpack is off?(I won't have a problem with that)

Loch-- I'm not tring to steel your thunder with another post about removing the TP. Just hoping for some help concerning specific issues.
Thanks for the reminder. --Bird

Old 02-21-2006, 11:46 PM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Problems removing rear speakers from 06 Ultra?

Well that is definitely a different take on things. As you can see I have the TP removed on my '03 Ultra and never had any problems with the rear speakers or the stereo needing to be reflashed. Seems like an odd ball reason for needing to reflash. If you think about your home computer for example, the very most you would ever need to do after removing your speakers would be to plug them in and reboot. I'm no tech, but I have a hard time understanding a reflash would be needed. Obviously someone with the new Harmon Kardon system would be better off answering this one for you than me. Good luck. I will be interested to hear what others have to say.

Old 02-22-2006, 12:38 AM
luvmyflhtcui
Road Captain

I think the dealer is correct. If you remove the rear speakers then the self diagnostic will not see the speakers there and shut it down. It's an Ultra so the radio knows it has 4 speakers. I would recommend consulting the MOCO for an answer on this one. The engineers there should be able to get you a better answer about what you can and can't do. There might be a software download you will need to do to allow you to operate the radio in a 2 speaker mode.....like the Electric Glide Classic. I have an '04 and don't have that stereo system, but have been reading alot about it and hope you find your answers soon.

Old 02-22-2006, 12:48 AM
Bird2u
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: luvmyflhtcui

I think the dealer is correct. If you remove the rear speakers then the self diagnostic will not see the speakers there and shut it down. It's an Ultra so the radio knows it has 4 speakers. I would recommend consulting the MOCO for an answer on this one. The engineers there should be able to get you a better answer about what you can and can't do. There might be a software download you will need to do to allow you to operate the radio in a 2 speaker mode.....like the Electric Glide Classic. I have an '04 and don't have that stereo system, but have been reading alot about it and hope you find your answers soon.

Thanks luvmyflhtcui I'll keep an eye on this thread for awhile but a call to the MOCO is proably not far off.

Old 02-24-2006, 03:00 PM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: luvmyflhtcui

If you remove the rear speakers then the self diagnostic will not see the speakers there and shut it down.

After further thought it occured to me that if the radio does the self diagnostic, then wouldn't all 4 speakers work again when reconnected? Also, why would the system shut down if only 2 of the 4 speakers are present? Seems to me that if there is a self diagnostic mode, it should be able to alternate between 2-4 speakers without any problem. Seem logical to me...but then what the hell do I know?

Old 02-24-2006, 04:39 PM
Loch
Tourer

This isn’t the first time I’ve heard this. Everyone was unsure of the fix the first time I heard it too. Could a 2 ohm resistor be connected to the rear speaker wires before tucking them under the seat making the stereo think the speakers where there? I know it seems a little hokey but I thought it might get some wheels turning in the head of someone who might be able to come up with a solution.

Old 02-24-2006, 04:56 PM
Mountainkowboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 971 Likes on 527 Posts

I was in 12V for 23 years, and although I am not familiar with the HD radio, it is possible for the radio to not work if you remove the rear spkrs from the system. Yes the system is dumb enough to be "tricked" with a resistor when you remove the rear speakers, but I think that the PTT and VOL controls are the culprits. Ford started using a simular system in 1995 and when the radio was first turned on it would comunicate with all the acc. before powering up. I would proably think that the MOCO system is somewhere along those lines. The radio is looking for the "rear controls" most likely, and that is what causes the glitch in the system. This feature can also be "tricked", but alot more research will be required to do it.

I know longer have the equipment to research the "fix", but thats the direction I would go.

Old 02-25-2006, 12:07 AM
Ripp
Advanced

I have a 2006 ultra with a quick disconect on my TP. All works great, yes the radio will log that the rear speakers were disconected and the shop will know if they run diags but my dealer told me it will not cause a problem. I turn the fader all the way to the front speakers anyway. As for the antanna leads I cut them under the seat and put a male connecter on the TP end used a female on the front side. I then add a 3 pin conecter under the seat for the tp lights and pull the reae speakers connection out of their box to disconect them. This all works great for me. Oh I also add the FM antenna kit to mount the fm with out TP. I also replaced the front speakers with 4 ohem Alpine speakers. Hope this helps Ripp

Old 02-25-2006, 01:05 AM
Bird2u
Intermediate

Ripp, I'm glad to hear that all works good for you. But I have some questions..

1. Does it matter if the dealer can tell if the rear speakers have been removed?

2. If you have made all your disconnects under your seat how long does it take to remove/replace your TP?

3. Did replacing the front speakers with 4 ohm have anything to do with a problem or were they just replacement speakers?

Thanks for all your input and any further help. --Bird

Old 02-25-2006, 12:20 PM
Ripp
Advanced

Bird2u:

1. When I asked the service manager about disconnecting the rear speakers, he replied that the only thing it does is log an error code that they would clear out if I had the bike in for service and that it would return every time the speakers were disconnected. He said no big deal.

2. I haven’t timed removing and installing the TP but it seems to only take a few minutes. First I have to remove the seat and with the TP in the rear position that is easy. Then unplug the wires and remove the TP.
On the CB antenna lead I had to add an extension to get it the connection out of the TP and under the seat.

3. No but when I was installing the oil temp gage I couldn’t leave those cheap foreign made speakers there. Besides I work at Best Buy and some day I will finish the job with amp and rear speakers.

Hope this helps and if you have any other question just ask. Ripp

Quick Reply: Problems removing rear speakers from 06 Ultra?