Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

76 Troublehead

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 05:51 PM
JicJac
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 76 Troublehead

I loooooove my sled.

Although, I did blow the engine 7 months ago. No problem. I had 80 inch jugs put on, bored, stroked, S&S pistons, etc. But it never stopped smoking after the rebuild. There was all kinds of speculation - from washed out pistons to valve guide problems. Long story short, except for the 1,000 miles I put on it while trying to get the rings to seat - it's been in the shop for all of the seven months. Finally, it was decided to remove the heads and it appears the problem may have been the valve guides - so the heads were reworked. The bike "should" be back under my *** soon.

Anyway, while bird-******* the "smoking" (oil in the exhaust) and suspecting a possible carb problem leading to the rings getting washed out, it was decided to pull the carb apart and adjust the float. The bike (below) is a 76 FLH with a Keihin (soon to be S&S). No one locally seems to know how to set the float. In an effort to "fix" it, I think it got screwed up. I'd like to know what the specs are and set it right when I get my skoot back.

Does anyone out there know what the float measurement should be? Lemme know if I need to provide any additional information.

Oh, I got a backup bike - a bobbed 750 Virago. But crap - it ain't nothing like my dear old FLH.

Thanks in advance,
JicJac