Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail Deluxe vs. Road King...

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 09:42 PM
jimmyroadking
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Softail Deluxe vs. Road King...

Road King

The following users liked this post:
HossV11 (10-15-2021)
Old 06-02-2008, 09:51 PM
Lord Albany
Road Captain

I was debating between the two last fall. It boiled down to which bike fit me and the versatility I would get for the cost. I opted for the RK because:
1) Got the look of a custom, minus the softail, on a big that fit me better with a stock seat. I'm 5'11", 220+, and the Deluxe sit didn't work for me. I knew off the bat that i'd need a different seat.
2) RK is designe for touring and cruising. I get touring comfort with cruiser looks.
3) With the RK I could eventually build up to an UC styling.
4) I didn't like the way bigger guys look on the Deluxe. Yeah, a bike may fit a rider, but the rider should equally fit the bike. I felt too big for the Deluxe, and it just felt too small for me. Kinda like if I were to hop onto my old Huffy from my early childhood.

HossV11 (10-15-2021)
Old 06-03-2008, 08:11 AM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

IMO, both bikes (Deluxe and RK Classic) are two of HD's nicest looking bikes. Just like you're doing with this post, after listening to other riders suggestions I bought the RKC. Its a decision I've never regretted.

Good luck.

HossV11 (10-15-2021)
Old 06-03-2008, 08:29 AM
cruiser7556
2nd Gear

When I laid my eyes on the Deluxe I was immediately sold on it, since in my opinion, this is the best looking bike that Harley builds. However,while shopping last year I had an opportunity to ride both bikes, back to back X2 and after each ride on the RK I couldn't help be convinced this was the way to go. The Deluxe was just too small and too low to be comfortable for me. I'm 6'1" and 225lbs. Needles to say I purchased a RK and haven't regretted it one bit...........

HossV11 (10-15-2021)
Old 03-13-2010, 12:09 PM
jwil444
1st Gear
Default deluxe vs road king

I have had both- I first had a Deluxe- decided to switch to a road king and ended up switching back to a deluxe-
the biggest difference as I see it is with the deluxe it is like you are sitting in the bike- the RK you are sitting on top which makes the bike feel heavier and not as nimble- while hwy speeds might feel more stable on the rk, the deluxe handles it just fine- lastly, if you are inseam challenged the deluxe is the way to go- I am 5'8 and the deluxe is just a better fit for me

HossV11 (10-15-2021)
Old 06-10-2010, 10:45 PM
mstone59
Stage I

I had an 07 sporty, it was fun but still a sporty. Now I have on 09 Deluxe, it handles great around town and up to around 65mph. I bought it because it looks great and sits well for me. Lately I've been looking at the Road King, it is a really sharp bike. How much can the Road King be lowered?

HossV11 (10-15-2021)
Old 06-10-2010, 11:05 PM
Gusltd
Cruiser

Having owned a rkc and the wifey rides a deluxe i can say the both are wonderful bikes. The rk is a true hog in that it feels like a big fat heavy motorcycle but get her up and rolling and she will cruise for days on end. The deluxe on the other hand is low, feels light and nimble and is by far the easiest bike i have ever ridden. The deluxe will not tour as comfortably as the bigger bikes but it will do it (just as my wife). Imho the deluxe is the classiest bike harley builds, and i enjoy riding it every chance i get. The deluxe gets the rap of being a girls bike because of its beauty and its easy going spirit. I also think that h-d named the rk appropriately and it is a fine bike also. Mostly it depends on your size.

HossV11 (10-15-2021)
Old 06-10-2010, 11:12 PM
Jahillsr
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got a RK, lowered it 2" in back, 1" in front and reshaped/lowered a Sundowner seat so I sit "in it" and can flat foot with bent knee. The initial reason was my Lady riding on the back prefers to be at the same height as me (we are about the same height) and she can have a more comfortable seat whereas the Deluxe puts her up higher and is not quite as wide. I could be happy with either I bet, but really enjoy the King now that it is set up for me. Both are great looking bikes!

HossV11 (10-15-2021)
Old 06-10-2010, 11:49 PM
Dustball
Road Master

Not even a question : RKC. The comment about sitting "in" the bike is legit only when talking about the stock RK seat...it's horrible! Most RK owners change the seat in the first few months anyway, and even a fairly priced Sundowner Deep Bucket will give you that "in" the bike feel. Secondly, we rid ourselves of the crap stock bars and go with either "Heritage", beach or apes and now we have sexy and comfort.

If you plan on longer road trips, and especially 2-up and bagged out, then a touring frame is right on target.

HossV11 (10-15-2021)
Old 06-11-2010, 03:00 AM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I haven't ridden a Deluxe, but it may very well be H-D's "classiest" looking bike. That's also one of the things I love most about my RKC. My boss has a Deluxe, and with his olive-drab paint & fish-tails, it's tough not to just stare and drool. The Fat Boys look great customed-out, but the Deluxe just looks timeless out of the box.

Younger bro has a Heritage, and while it looks nice, I'm not a fan of the B-motor, or its slightly cramped feel. Now, slip an A-motor into the Deluxe and you might just have me.

The following 2 users liked this post by PKellyMc:
HossV11 (10-15-2021), SloChicken (11-01-2021)

Quick Reply: Softail Deluxe vs. Road King...