Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Excessive Vibration - suspect: new motor mount

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 11:38 AM
mastergenie
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Excessive Vibration - suspect: new motor mount

I have a 2005 RK Custom.
Just had a major service at the dealer, and in the mean time replaced the original motor mount which was cracked. Had a tire change as well.
When I got the bike back went for a 60 mile ride on the highway, and to my surprise I had so much vibration at 60+ miles/hr that my feet and legs were numb.
Searched the forum for all related problems, made a list of 14 possible causes, and checked every one, every nut and bolt. Nothing found, and still got the vibration.
I have to conclude that it's the new motor mount (part # 16207-79D) that's causing the vibration. It seems from the past posts that many had problems with these (by the way I checked, they're not upside down).
Assuming this is the problem, I have come up with some solution options\\;
1) I found that some have used the Buell part # L0501.2, which is supposed to be the same as the original mount on my bike. Change to that?
2) Keep the new mount, add Velva Ride Engine Stabilizer Link. These are supposed to reduce the vibes quite a bit, but I read a couple of not-so-good review in previous posts as well.
3) Change the mount to Velva Ride motor Mount, and add Velva Ride Engine Stabilizer Link.
&nbsp\\;
At this point I need advice. What do you think of the above solutions?
And perhaps even more importantly, do you have any other suggestions? I'm sure the options I came up with are not comprehensive.
&nbsp\\;
Thanks in advance.
&nbsp\\;

Old 06-20-2008, 12:12 PM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Excessive Vibration - suspect: new motor mount

You say you checked every nut and bolt, but are you sure your new tire is balanced correctly?&nbsp\\; They say "line this mark up with the valve stem" or whatever, but what if it wasn't quite right?&nbsp\\; I've never had one out of balance on a bike, but I would assume that a slight out of balance would cause you a pretty good vibration in the seat of your pants.

Old 06-20-2008, 12:16 PM
pappashelby
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Seems a lot of complaints after changing the mount, including me. I re-torqued the nut to 20 ft lbs and used the Red locktite. Seems to be alittle better but might be wishful thinking !!

Old 06-20-2008, 12:47 PM
albertasaurus
Road Master
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

If it was me, I'd take it back to where you had the work done and voice your concerns. Have them check it out thoroughly. If they don't resolve it to your satisfaction, take the bike somewhere else and get a second opinion.

Old 06-20-2008, 01:06 PM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

https://www.hdforums.com/m_2531793/m...tm.htm#3525185

Old 06-20-2008, 01:29 PM
garyhendley
Outstanding HDF Member

lots of good info thanks guys

Old 06-20-2008, 01:38 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

I'm one of those that put on a new mount and got more vibration. But that is only between 1500 and 2000 rpms. I don't feel it at 60 mph.

Old 06-20-2008, 01:45 PM
mastergenie
6th Gear

Thanks for the quick and great iput guys.
&nbsp\\;
albertasaurus\\; I did, and got them to check everything as well\\; nothing! They're lost.
&nbsp\\;
matrix5\\; I got the dealer to double check and re-balance the wheels already. Sorry I forgot to mention in the original post.
&nbsp\\;
Neckball\\; that's a great reference for the Buell part. Already got on the phone to a dealer, but no stock, will have to order.
What do you think of adding the Velva Ride Engine Stabilizer Link as well?

Old 06-20-2008, 01:59 PM
marshrat
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Worth a quick check is whether the motor mount plate is attached to the bosses on the motor correctly.
When I got mine back it vibrated like an old Sportster. The dealership spent six(!) hours going over the bike, aligning the motor mounts etc. No cure. They wanted to open the cases and check the flywheel balance at my expense. I refused.
A mechanic on his cig break in the lot looked at my bike for 30 seconds and saw that the motor mount was on top of the bosses instead of the bottom. The oil filter was hitting the rectifier.

Old 06-20-2008, 02:33 PM
Dogwood
Tourer

Just get the Velva Ride motor mount, much better than the Buel MM.
Forget about the Velva Ride Stab Links, they seem to have no effect one way or another.

Quick Reply: Excessive Vibration - suspect: new motor mount