Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Add Second Accessory Switch to SG (FLHX)

Old 06-28-2008, 07:56 AM
ddwyer
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Add Second Accessory Switch to SG (FLHX)

I want to add an additional accessory switch to my Street Glide. I am already using the first one for the LED Spoiler kit, and I want to add some engine LEDs, but I don't want to have them on during the day, so the Y harness is out. Has anyone done this before? Can you lend me a hand with part numbers and procedures, or tell me if there's an easier way? I don't want to use the ghetto switch that comes with the LEDs.

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-28-2008, 02:58 PM
HRLYSG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Add Second Accessory Switch to SG (FLHX)

I'd also be interested for future reference. Anybody?

Old 06-28-2008, 04:10 PM
vtwin1340
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Best thing for the LED's is a keyfob remote.&nbsp\\; No switches, easy to do.&nbsp\\; That way you can
flip them on while walking up to the area where you parked your bike, makes it easy to see,
and pick out.&nbsp\\; I would like some info on hooking up an additional acc. switch as well.

Old 06-28-2008, 05:09 PM
ddwyer
Tourer

Do you have any links for the keyfob LED solution?

Old 06-28-2008, 05:24 PM
vtwin1340
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is the one I am planning on.&nbsp\\; http://www.customdynamics.com/hyper_...Remote_Control
There are several other types on this site.&nbsp\\; I had LED's on my prior bike that were installed at a rally, they
did a similar remote.&nbsp\\; I liked it alot.&nbsp\\; Looking to do this install on my new SG, researching lights, remotes, connectors etc.

Old 06-28-2008, 10:22 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

I installed a second ACC switch on the left side of the switch array to power my oil cooler fans. It's quite easy to install.

Part #71535-96. It will come with three wires and a connector on the end:

O/R is unswitched 12V, always hot when ignition is on.
O is switched, only hot when switch is on
B is ground

Connect your O/R wire to a suitable 12V source, the O wire to your hot lead on the LED's, and ground the B wire. The B wire is present only to activate the LED in the switch, not to ground the device being switched, so it will need to be grounded wherever on the frame is convenient.

Installing is easy once you remove the igntion switch and fairing cap by installing the switch in the small frame already attached to the cap. Use the original ACC switch as a guide. You'll need to know how to make a simple harness to connect the switch to the lights, requiring only quick-connectors and wire. The ground will require a ring connector to attach to any ground source, or cut the wire and splice into any of the dozens of ground wires in that area. There should be one near the fairing cap on the left side of the steering neck. If you've done any automotive or MC wiring and understand the concepts of 12VDC this job is very simple.

Old 06-29-2008, 04:48 PM
ddwyer
Tourer

Thanks iclick. I can take it from there.

Old 06-29-2008, 04:59 PM
twilliams
Tourer

I am a little confused here, I also have the LED spoiler kit on my TP and it is not controlled by the ACC switch on the fairing cap. It does plug into the ACC plug under the seat but uses the constant 12v not the switched circuit. Why not get the 70264-94a Switched Circuit Adapter Harness which will give you two of the ACC connections under the seat, one going to your LED spoiler and the other you can tap into the switched line for your other lights?

I am missing something here?

Old 06-29-2008, 08:25 PM
ddwyer
Tourer

I just went out to the garage and tested what twilliams was saying. I didn't realize the LED spoilers were on the constant 12v line. Flipping the ACC switch doesn't make a difference for the LED spoilers. I should have looked at this closer before. This means, I can purchase the Y harness and link the LEDs into the same Accessory plug. Excellent!

Thanks for the evaluation twilliams...I was jumping to conclusions and trying to make this a more difficult project than it needed to be.

Does anyone have the part number to make the end that fits into the Accessory plug (4 pin Deustch-spelling? end)?

Old 06-29-2008, 09:09 PM
flight
Tourer

I would like to see pics of the led spoiler kit lights installed on a sg.
&nbsp\\;
Steve

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Add Second Accessory Switch to SG (FLHX)