Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HQ 113?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 01:39 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts
Default HQ 113?

I am thinking about getting the HQ 113", was considering just the heads on top of my HD 103 but now leaning towards the 113". $1k for heads, $500 for labor, for just the heads.&nbsp\\;$2 k for 113, $1k for labor, bigger bang for the buck&nbsp\\;going to the 113&nbsp\\;IMHO. Already have the HQ 500 cams in place.Now the Q's
&nbsp\\;
Should I get the crank balanced and put in&nbsp\\;a new crank bearing?
&nbsp\\;
Dpo they take the crank out to do the case boring?
&nbsp\\;
Any other advice from the big inch guys here?
&nbsp\\;
Want to get total cost before I talk to the OL.&nbsp\\;

Old 07-09-2008, 01:47 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: HQ 113?

The 113 will yield much more power, but it is more pricey as well.
&nbsp\\;
I would not even consider&nbsp\\;chancing a stock 07 crank on a 113. THe cases have to be split for boring to accept the larger jug spigots, so that is the time for a Timken conversion and crank improvements.
&nbsp\\;
I think I'd have a chat with Doug or Kevin @ HQ and see what their thoughts are. They will not steer you wrong or attempt to "sell" you anthing unnecessary. Best advice will come from them, as they know these things inside &amp\\; out.
&nbsp\\;
You'll aslo wanna ask them about desired compression ratio for your desired riding conditions.

Old 07-09-2008, 02:47 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member

Thanks Phil, I have left them a message, think one of them is on vacation or something. Clled my local indie and have them inquiring about being a dealer here in So Fla. I suspected this was the case with the crank, thought I remembered it from other posts. Looking at Manish Hawg ripping spokes from the wire wheels has me looking at some mag rims to put on the bike as I am a pretty agressive low speed rider.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:13 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member

Okay, got a call back from kevin (I think), good guy spent 10 minutes asking Q's and listening, told him where I was with the bike so far. HQ 500, HD 103, SERT, MPG at 30 MPG roughly 100/100 HP/TQ. He recommended that I go with the Heads keep the HD set up, and get their tuner in lieu of another dyno. His experience is this will get me to between 110 - 120 TQ and HP with 40 to 45 MPG. Talked to him about the complexity of doing the heads myself, he explained teh process, get a manual and follow diections and they are always there for advice. Think I will takle this myself and put the $ saved toward the new Fat Bob. Hell who knows if this goes okay I might do the 103 package on teh Fat Bob myself with Cams.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:46 PM
Black Flag
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Masterblaster,
My motor is&nbsp\\;about where you are now, and if I had the money, I'd go for the HQ heads.&nbsp\\; If you want more power than that, I would definitely be looking for a 120 or 131 S&amp\\;S.&nbsp\\; I just don't think I could trust the stock&nbsp\\;H-D cases, with the questionable cranks and bearings, to handle more than that.&nbsp\\; But all these issues are correctable, and all it takes is a fat pocket to achieve the results you want.&nbsp\\; Good luck, and I'm jealous already! [8D]

Old 07-09-2008, 09:07 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That is what is great with talking with Kevin or Doug at HQ, they will steeer you in a direction that makes sense.&nbsp\\; Changing out the heads is a very simple process and there are a few of us on here that can also help you through the process.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; If you do change your mind and still decide to go 113 or for anyone reading this, crank work is a must IMO, you are really rolling the dice as once you get beyond 103, the amount of torque that these big engine put out is way more than a stock crank will handle.&nbsp\\; To address another comment on the stock HD cases, as long as the timken bearing conversion is done and assembly is correct, so far there have not been any case failures that I am aware of with the bigger builds.

Old 07-09-2008, 10:57 PM
08RoadKing
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: JET 113 in 08 RK

I have 08 Road King&nbsp\\;with&nbsp\\;a 113" from Jet Engine Technology in R.I. Motor is built w/S&amp\\;S Crank from&nbsp\\;the crank up to the Andrews Cams and Rinhart TRue Duals and&nbsp\\;ended up w/&nbsp\\;110 rwhp and 126 rwtrq and the motor has it all, flat powerband with power all over the rpm range, this bike hauls *** , idles perfect never breaks up and after a road test the mechanic at Fritz's HD in Stamfrd, CT was unsure where the power ended and I told 'm it don't! get at least a 113" and you will be satisfied, I'm power hungry and I don't ever feel like I need any more power!