Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Future 2-Up Riding

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 10:53 AM
Cohiba_Joe
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Future 2-Up Riding

Here's my situation....

I am seriously contemplating replacing my current Sundowner Solo seat with a Mustang Solo with rider backrest. I will also be setting it up so I can add the passenger pillion and the passenger backrest for future use. As per Mustang they only make the PAD for the passenger backrest (designed to fit an existing backrest frame) so I am trying to determine which passenger backrest would be best for my use.

I try to keep everything in the quick detach format. For instance, I have the the HD Solo TourPak rack installed with quick detach and is, of course, utilizing the foward mounting kit. This rack would be replaced with the Mustang passenger pillion when riding 2-up but what would I need to mount a passenger backrest with the quick detach harware (I would assume I would need the rear hardware kit) ??

On this same line, if I were to ourchase the HD passenger backrest would I really need to replace the stock pad with the Mustang pad?

Hopefully those of you with a better understand and experience with this can give some much needed guidance.

As always, thanks much
Brian

Old 03-21-2006, 12:28 PM
UGGA
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Future 2-Up Riding

Hi Brian.

I had pretty much the same setup you are contemplating on my 2000 Road King Classic. I had the Mustang Solo with riders backrest and two different passenger pillions. I had the 14" pillion for when my wife was with me and I had the 8" pillion for solo rides. Sometimes I rode with no pillion at all (see pic below). This seat combo was as comfortable as any that we have ever had (we've had 20 bikes). My wife and I absolutely loved the setup.

You will need the rear docking kit in addition to the front kit that you already have. As for the backrest pad for the passenger, I've had both the HD pad and the Mustang pad. They both look practically identical - get either one that you want.

Hope this helps.

Doug

Old 03-21-2006, 12:45 PM
Matt8643
Road Captain

OK, I hope I am understanding your question correctly, but I think I have to disagree with UGGA (I think). I have an RK Custom and run a mustang solo seat and mustang passenger pillion and HD sissy bar and pad. I understand that you have the solo tour pak which requires the front docking hardware. If you were to remove the solo tour pak then add the passenger pillion and then the detachable passenger sissy bar;that sissy bar would utilize the front dockinghardware (not the rear)-at least mine does. I only need the rear docking hardware when I run my two up detachable tour pak. Now, if you were to convert you solo tour pak to the two up, then you would need the rear docking hardware. I hope this make sense-it is kind of confusing even as I write it.
~Matt

Old 03-21-2006, 12:49 PM
UGGA
Road Captain

Matt-

You are absolutely right. It's been so long since I sold my RKC that I got confused. The only reason that I needed the rear docking kit was for the detachable luggage rack that I also had for my RKC. Thanks for the correction Matt. Sorry about the confusion Joe.

Doug

Old 03-21-2006, 01:14 PM
Cohiba_Joe
Road Captain

Hey Guys.....

What you have explained makes perfect sense. I will also eventually be getting the HD 2-up rack and a hard TourPak for doing the 2-up travelling so I will need to get the rear docking kit when that time comes. As for now it seems I have what I need.

Two questions:

What are you thoughts & views in regards to the Mustang seat? I hate having to replace the Sundowner Solo and this will be a complete leap of faith to spend that kind of cash for ssomething sight unseen (or butt tested).

Which passenger backrest have you used? Maybe I'm missing something but it looks like you have to buy the backrest upright and the pad separately from HD.

Thanks again,
Brian

Old 03-21-2006, 01:22 PM
Loch
Tourer

Where was that picture taken?

ORIGINAL: UGGA

Hi Brian.

I had pretty much the same setup you are contemplating on my 2000 Road King Classic. I had the Mustang Solo with riders backrest and two different passenger pillions. I had the 14" pillion for when my wife was with me and I had the 8" pillion for solo rides. Sometimes I rode with no pillion at all (see pic below). This seat combo was as comfortable as any that we have ever had (we've had 20 bikes). My wife and I absolutely loved the setup.

You will need the rear docking kit in addition to the front kit that you already have. As for the backrest pad for the passenger, I've had both the HD pad and the Mustang pad. They both look practically identical - get either one that you want.

Hope this helps.

Doug

Old 03-21-2006, 01:43 PM
UGGA
Road Captain

Loch,

I shot the picture in Kodachrome Basin State Park in southern Utah. I take motorcycle trips to southern Utah every chance that I get - usually 1 or 2 weeks at a time. Highway 12 in Utah is the most beautiful motorcycle road that I've ever been on. I even prefer it over the Pacific Coast Highway, another one of my favorites.

Doug

Old 03-21-2006, 01:52 PM
UGGA
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Cohiba_Joe

Hey Guys.....

What you have explained makes perfect sense. I will also eventually be getting the HD 2-up rack and a hard TourPak for doing the 2-up travelling so I will need to get the rear docking kit when that time comes. As for now it seems I have what I need.

Two questions:

What are you thoughts & views in regards to the Mustang seat? I hate having to replace the Sundowner Solo and this will be a complete leap of faith to spend that kind of cash for ssomething sight unseen (or butt tested).

Which passenger backrest have you used? Maybe I'm missing something but it looks like you have to buy the backrest upright and the pad separately from HD.

Thanks again,
Brian
Brian,

I highly recommend the Mustang seats. I've had a bunch of them as well as a couple of Corbins. Hands down the Mustang is far more comfortable than the Corbins - it's not even close. I can't compare the Mustang to the Sundowner though, because I've never had a Sundowner.

The backrest that my wife has always preferred is the HD detachable p/n 52933-97B in conjunction with the HD large oval passenger backrest pad p/n 52886-98B. My wife claims that this setup is just as comfortable for her as riding on our Gold Wing.

Doug

Old 03-21-2006, 02:13 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: UGGA
Brian,

I highly recommend the Mustang seats. I've had a bunch of them as well as a couple of Corbins. Hands down the Mustang is far more comfortable than the Corbins - it's not even close.
Doug
Gotta agree with that!

Opinins are like..... uh, BUTTS(?) -> everybody has one BUT they may prefer different seats, BUT this BUTT sure prefers the Mustang seats!

Old 03-21-2006, 04:27 PM
Mikeeeeeeeeee
"Moderator & Connoisseur of Ice Cream"
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Simple..........

My wife likes the back rest on our EG Classic. I hate it. When I ride solo it goes into the left saddlebag.

I found I cannot settle into the seat as comfortable when the backrest is in place. I did a 420 mile run the other day without it and never missed it.