Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Level Low on 08

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 06:19 AM
ms3300
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Level Low on 08

I have an 08 EGC w/7800 miles on odometer. Took an 80mi round trip yesterday..before I left, checked the oil cold..it was centered between the "full" mark and the "add" mark. I know a cold engine check is not reliable so I wasn't too concerned. During the ride, I noted the ETIMS came on at a couple of lights..it wasn't that hot out..I had my sleeves on as a matter of fact. Anyway, I was a little concerned..so when I got home, checked the oil while bike was hot...I was surprised to see it was half a quart low. The current oil was changed 2700 miles ago and there are not obvious oil leaks. My A/C is clean as well. I am running Royal Purple..although I gotta admit I seem to get more valve train noise with the RP gonna switch back to M1 today. My question..is this oil consumption normal given the mileage on my bike? where did the half a quart of oil go? I don't believe the engine was harmed but what are the opinons, do I need to panic? ride safe.

Old 10-01-2008, 06:38 AM
rdam
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Beats me, I usually run a quarter to half quart low anyway. If you're only half quart down, and oil pressure is good, I don't see how there can be any damage.

Old 10-01-2008, 06:44 AM
HDDOC
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

What is your hot oil pressure at 2000 to 3000 RPMs?

Old 10-01-2008, 07:47 AM
huffhuff
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

"I know a cold engine check is not reliable so I wasn't too concerned".
i think you have it backwards. more oil is in the reservoir when cold than when hot. when hot it hasn't drained back. half a quart low when hot is not really that bad. how did it check after it cooled off if you hadn't added oil to top off.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:21 AM
harley-jones
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by huffhuff
"I know a cold engine check is not reliable so I wasn't too concerned".
i think you have it backwards. more oil is in the reservoir when cold than when hot. when hot it hasn't drained back. half a quart low when hot is not really that bad. how did it check after it cooled off if you hadn't added oil to top off.
According to the Owners Manual you should check hot and add as needed to the full mark. The oil will read more on the stick when hot than cold.

I put in 3.8 quarts at change and it read right at full when hot.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:26 AM
spizzyman
Road Master

Does not sound like you have an oil problem. How long did you wait after turning the bike off? 3-5 minutes should be good, so oil collects in the pan.

Your stock bike does run warm, so maybe the ETIMS kicked in as a normal reaction.

spiz

Old 10-01-2008, 08:41 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

HDs are 'dry sump' motors.
Being a little low or quite a bit low, does not affect what is happening inside the motor. What it does affect, is the 'turn over' rate, of the oil in the tank/bag. The longer the turn over rate, the more heat the oil will give up to the air before being pumped back into the motor.
Do not panic, even if you get way lower than you were. It doesn't hurt the motor unless you run for eons that way. And then it is NOT because you were 'low' on oil to the bearings, etc, it would be that the oil is running 'hot' because of the shorter turn over rate.
Make sense? IF you have oil pressure, you are not hurting anything.
It isn't like a car/truck, they are 'wet sump' motors.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:07 AM
robzuc97
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"According to the Owners Manual you should check hot and add as needed to the full mark. The oil will read more on the stick when hot than cold." Bingo! Key word here is "owner's manual" as in "look here for checking oil level". The cold check is a "quick check" and may or may not be accurate. Hot check is IAW the owner's manual.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:46 AM
98 roadglide
Advanced
Default Oil disapearing

get used to it,its a harley !! before you know it, it will be leaking from the base gaskets,crankcase breather,rocker boxes, ands it will burn quite a bit. so carry an extra quart of oil in saddle bag and fill as needed. remember these are american made bikes by cheese heads in wisconsin. good luck

Old 10-01-2008, 09:53 AM
HarleyWood
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by robzuc97
"According to the Owners Manual you should check hot and add as needed to the full mark. The oil will read more on the stick when hot than cold." Bingo! Key word here is "owner's manual" as in "look here for checking oil level". The cold check is a "quick check" and may or may not be accurate. Hot check is IAW the owner's manual.
I very seldom check my oil hot, unless I'm running long days tank to tank, then I'll check it occasionally.

Not disputing that one should know how to do it by the book, but common sense also says that if you know the correct level cold, it will be correct when hot...and I don't burn my hand checking it.

Quick Reply: Oil Level Low on 08