Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

using stock pipes with sert

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 09:00 PM
acamj
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default using stock pipes with sert

Need a quick reply on this. I posted it in the tuning forum but didnt get the answer i was looking for. I have an 07 street glide with sert python slip-ons and se a/c. What would it hurt to replace the stock mufflers without touching the sert for a trip (1000 miles or less), after returning from trip would go back to the pythons. I know it will richen the a/f mixture but i am not sure to what extent, and any damage that could result.

Old 10-02-2008, 10:00 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The guy who answered you in the other forum here is probably the best to have answer a question like that. I realize he didn't give you either a thumbs-up or a thumbs-down. That's not really his style. He merely told you would the result would be and left it up to you to make the determination.

The mixture being provided will prove to be more fuel than is needed by the stock mufflers. It's not a great amount, but it's not really an across-the-board amount either. The latter part is what could be the "gotcha" here. The amount of extra fuel the engine will measure with the stock mufflers back in place should be well within the closed-loop operation to reign in, so I wouldn't worry about it from that aspect. What might be a cause of concern is when the ECU has learned it needs to pull fuel while closed-loop, will it also pull that same amount of fuel while open-loop, and will you need that (I'd say "no"), and if it does (I believe it will), will it be too much fuel pulled, and in either case, how much time will you spend open-loop during your 1000-mile trip?

It will probably be okay for you to do this, but I wonder why you want to or feel you need to?

Is there a base SERT map for what you want to configure your engine to? If so, can you load that for the trip and put your current map back in when you get back and put the other mufflers back on? That might be a better solution.

Old 10-02-2008, 10:30 PM
acamj
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is no time to change the map. I am leaving first thing in the morning. The reason for the pipe change is the Myrtle Beach rally. I do not want a fine for my pipes and figured i would just slip on the stockers to try to limit the potential for that. I would not go but this trip has been planned for awhile now with others and I did not feel right backing out on them. The trip is around 320 miles one way and I will do what I can to limit short runs while there. My thoughts were if its running alittle rich with the limited milage worst case i will have to replace plugs when i get back.

Old 10-03-2008, 05:53 PM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 816 Likes on 462 Posts

IMHO there is no problem going from a free flow to a more restrictive muffler on a V Twin, you might even find the bike runs better. IMHO slip ons do very little for flow, they sound nice but as far as flow it is next to no improvement over stock

Unless you had the SERT mapped for insane amounts of fuel don't sweat it.

It only becomes an issue when you have a rich condition that causes the oil film to be washed off the cylinder walls.

PS keep the wallet closed in any city down there that passed the new laws. The list of places that are screwing us can be found in another thread.

Last edited by Neggy ZRXOA 5248; 10-03-2008 at 05:56 PM.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:22 PM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

You may burn up a bit, because the added fuel to the cats (assuming thats why you tuned w/a sert) will get hella hot trying to burn off the excess unburnt fuel. Thats the job of the cats is to generate a final burn so the frogs, trees, butterflies, and the spawning salmon can breathe clean air.

Old 10-04-2008, 12:30 AM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

I hadn't considered cats. But the closed-loop EFI should pull any extra fuel before the cats even get much up to temperature, if they exist. Since it's only a few hundred miles to Myrtle Beach, I doubt there are any cats involved anyway.

I pity the poor sucker having to endure the trip on stock mufflers. How embarrassing...

Old 10-04-2008, 03:21 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Um what cats?

Unless you have:

1. 06 (you said its an 07)
2. California bike
3. CVO bike with stock mufflers (you don't)

I don't believe you have cats anyway. My understanding is that the cats went into the mufflers in 06, but where taken back out in 07, which is when they started tuning the bikes MUCH leaner than before, so that they COULD remove the cats.

Old 10-04-2008, 04:22 PM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

They still have cats, my 99 had cats. I think cats are 50 state these days.

Old 10-04-2008, 04:44 PM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I hate it when someone answers a question with a question but really, why worry about it? Is there a special squadron of troopers with keen hearing and sight that are there only to cite us EPA abusers? I just don't get it. I've never had a city, county, or state law enforcer even give me a second thought as long as I was judicious with my throttle. And BTW, to my knowledge there are no HD models with catalytic converters to date so don't let that worry you. Leave the Pythons and go have fun, just go easy on the throttle while in town.

Old 10-04-2008, 04:50 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

ww1flyingace gave a pretty good list in post #7, but he left off the HDI models, which I believe also sport cats as well as those intake/exhaust flaps/solenoids.

Quick Reply: using stock pipes with sert