Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front end stiff after fork change

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 10:42 PM
fathertime
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

put se in my 06 roadking when i put on the chrome lowers..ride was much improved..diving was gone...bike is long gone, now i gotta repeat on my 08 flht

Old 11-27-2008, 07:00 AM
DrPlastic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I had my service dept add the SE Heavy Duty fork oil when they were installing the Profile lowering springs. My front end is riding way better than it was stock. I never looked back!

Old 11-27-2008, 09:14 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts

I replaced all the fork oil with sand on my bike. Filled it all the way up to the top of the stanchion and mine rides better than everybodies. You can use beach sand if backyard sand is too firm.

Old 11-27-2008, 09:26 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

Well, got odff a plane today, from Canada, could not sleep since Monday thinking about this, went right into the garage and did the iclick procedure, works great half hour had both drained, lowered bike with no oil in it jumped on and still stiff. Knew I screwed something up on assembley, ripped the forks off and resdid them correctly in 2 1/2 hours using the heavy SE synthetic, much better, easier to get the spring in also. Will put new type E oil when my new rotors show up. Now I think I know what the hell I am doing in there, thanks to all, the bike is starting to look good.

Old 11-27-2008, 10:33 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts
Thumbs up

I switched over to the SE Heavy Fork Oil PN: 99881-87 (not the extra heavy). The ride is slightly firmer and handling is noticeably improved.

Old 11-28-2008, 12:16 AM
ratcat
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going shopping on black friday at my local HD shop, I'm going to try the SE heavy oil in my ultra.
Glad to hear everything worked out master...

Old 11-28-2008, 09:37 AM
cfmii11
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used the SE heavy oil when I did the switch and it worked out fine.

Old 11-28-2008, 07:29 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by masterblaster
Thanks iclick, I will be using the iclick method to change out the pil, if that doesnt loosen things a bit I will tear down the forks and double check everything, it did require lots of [ressure to get the fork spring cap back in, how hard was getting the springs back in for you?

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/showt...=265885&page=3
I didn't go that far with disassembly. The tutorial mentions that all that was needed was to pull the fairing insert cap aside, remove the top cap using the wrench in the bike's tool kit, remove the drain plug, install the new oil, then reassemble everything. The spring is loaded by the fork cap bolt the top bolt screws into, so I never saw or touched my springs when I changed the fluid.

Old 11-28-2008, 08:15 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

iclick, I tried your method, just drained the oil though, dropped the bike off the lift bounced the front end and had no movement so proceeded with the tear down. Your method works great, FYI there was 1 oz left in the fork. The EXTRA heave SE oil is still a little stiff for me will change out when I figure what rotors I want to put on the front. Thanks for all the info great DYI iclick.

Originally Posted by iclick
I didn't go that far with disassembly. The tutorial mentions that all that was needed was to pull the fairing insert cap aside, remove the top cap using the wrench in the bike's tool kit, remove the drain plug, install the new oil, then reassemble everything. The spring is loaded by the fork cap bolt the top bolt screws into, so I never saw or touched my springs when I changed the fluid.

Old 11-28-2008, 08:27 PM
MJ
Elite HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

MB,
Too bad you can't make the ride with us tomorrow. gonna be great weather. Take the nightster if your wife will let you. haha

Quick Reply: Front end stiff after fork change