Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chrome Hand Switch Housings

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 12:01 AM
johnkn
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's the process in changing the actual switch caps, what needs to be done? When I purchased my '09 SG 2 months ago I ordered the chrome switch housings and specifically told the dealer that I wanted to retain the stock black switches, that I did not want chrome caps. Well guess what it had on it when I went to pick it up....... IMHO, chrome housings with the stock black caps looks much better, more contrast that just all chrome up there...

Old 12-14-2008, 08:52 AM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 703 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by johnkn
What's the process in changing the actual switch caps, what needs to be done? When I purchased my '09 SG 2 months ago I ordered the chrome switch housings and specifically told the dealer that I wanted to retain the stock black switches, that I did not want chrome caps. Well guess what it had on it when I went to pick it up....... IMHO, chrome housings with the stock black caps looks much better, more contrast that just all chrome up there...

Very similar to changing out the housings actually. You have to disassemble them and the switch caps just (carefully) pry off. I changed the switch caps and left the housings black.

Old 12-14-2008, 08:57 AM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stro1965
Very similar to changing out the housings actually. You have to disassemble them and the switch caps just (carefully) pry off. I changed the switch caps and left the housings black.
stro1965
Do you have a pic of the chrome switches in the black housing? I like the chrome with black switch look but I am thinking on the vivid black bike the combo you did might look better? (won't be the first time I changed my mind and put something I thought I wanted on the for-sale forum! LOL)

Old 12-14-2008, 09:09 AM
peddler
Club Member
Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

Agreed. Contrast works for me. Black switch buttons, chrome housing.

Old 12-14-2008, 09:29 AM
Softail Girl
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's one thing I did myself and I am very proud of that. I also installed a master cylinder & clutch covers at the same time. When I had everything taken apart on my garage floor, I realized that I might as well change the brake and clutch levers so I ran to he dealer to buy them.

After putting everything back together, I was left with a little "extra" copper clip. I took my bike for a test run and realized that my brake light was always on.... hmmmm..... I went on the internet (I don't have the service manual yet) and found the placement for that little clip....

All in all, it depends how much you enjoy working on your bike. For me, it's not about money: it's about the pride I take when I look at my work.

Changing the switch caps is as much work as changing the housings. I did both and not at the same time. But I'm learning .

Attached Thumbnails Chrome Hand Switch Housings-11232008242.jpg   Chrome Hand Switch Housings-moto002.jpg  
Old 12-14-2008, 09:39 AM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Softail Girl

After putting everything back together, I was left with a little "extra" copper clip. I took my bike for a test run and realized that my brake light was always on.... hmmmm..... I went on the internet (I don't have the service manual yet) and found the placement for that little clip.....
I also left the copper clip out....(doh!), but took it apart and reinstalled. Was the replacement different or just a new copper clip?

Old 12-14-2008, 09:59 AM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 703 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by IndyClassic
stro1965
Do you have a pic of the chrome switches in the black housing? I like the chrome with black switch look but I am thinking on the vivid black bike the combo you did might look better? (won't be the first time I changed my mind and put something I thought I wanted on the for-sale forum! LOL)
I don't think I do but I can take some later today.

Old 12-14-2008, 10:02 AM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member

Good deal.......have to drag myself away from here (forum) for a little bit anyway. Thanks!

Old 12-14-2008, 10:10 AM
Softail Girl
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IndyClassic
I also left the copper clip out....(doh!), but took it apart and reinstalled. Was the replacement different or just a new copper clip?
I had saved the clip without knowing what it was for... I later saw a picture in the J&P Cycle catalogue with the clip in the housing so I took the control apart (again!) and put it back together. I should have known it was important....

Last edited by Softail Girl; 12-14-2008 at 10:11 AM. Reason: bad html
Old 12-14-2008, 12:34 PM
Jonny Cannon
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Easy to change the switch caps. You can use a screwdriver to take the old ones off, but don't use one to put the chrome ones on - they're not as flexible as the stock ones.

Ask me how I know.

It's easy to do. Follow the instructions & you'll be fine. There's two different "posts" that the switches mount to - a star-shaped one, and a cylinder-shaped one. Put the switch over the round one, and then it just pops over the star-shaped one.

Cnnon

Quick Reply: Chrome Hand Switch Housings