Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing the adjustable backrest on RG

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 01:26 AM
saidin43
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing the adjustable backrest on RG

I had the adjustable backrest installed on the RG at the stealership when I bought the bike. I really like it, but now, I don't know how to remove the thing. I have a heated jacket, and the fused harness I have goes right on the battery terminals. It seems that right now, I have to remove one of the saddle bags, to the remove the mount for the front saddlebag peg bracket so I can remove the passenger grab strap. Then I can just pull the seat off after unscrewing the one screw holding it on. I couldn't find any latches or buttons to remove the backrest though, so now I'm stuck.

Any thoughts?

Old 04-25-2006, 05:33 PM
saidin43
Cruiser
Default RE: Removing the adjustable backrest on RG

Went ahead and called the dealer. The backrest I have has a single black bar that goes into the seat as opposed to the other backrest, which has 2 rods that go into the seat. There is a latch on the base of where the backrest attaches to the assembly. The latch gets pushed down, and then the backrest can be pulled out. I have the reach seat, which is really thick...so its gonna be a real bear to get in there, but we'll see what happens.

Old 04-26-2006, 02:08 PM
saidin43
Cruiser
Default RE: Removing the adjustable backrest on RG

Went ahead, and was able to remove the backrest. The latch referred to gets pulled back towards the rear of the bike. There is a pair of metal extrusions that go into matching holes on the body of the latch. Pulling the latch disengages this, and allows you to pull it out. Worked just fine, just took a few min to actually get it out.