Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil cooler question

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 03:49 PM
locodude
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil cooler question

i've got an 09 ultra classic eg. It seems that from what I've gathered by many on this board is that for the bike to run at its best I need an oil cooler and something to richen up the fuel. Question is what kind of oil cooler should I be looking at and how exactly do you richen up the fuel system. money is an object.

Old 03-13-2009, 03:54 PM
tencrore
Tourer

As far as an oil cooler is concerned, either Jagg or the HD Premium cooler are good options for an oil cooler. To richen up the fuel at a minimal cost, I suggest an Xied from Nightrider. they are about $100.00. This will richen the fuel mix and, as an added benefit, allow your bike to run cooler.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-13-2009, 04:01 PM
09StreetGlider
Road Master

Originally Posted by locodude
i've got an 09 ultra classic eg. It seems that from what I've gathered by many on this board is that for the bike to run at its best I need an oil cooler and something to richen up the fuel. Question is what kind of oil cooler should I be looking at and how exactly do you richen up the fuel system. money is an object.
You can get the HD Premium Oil Cooler from Chicago HD or Zanotti's (20% off) for around 255 shipped

And Oil Gauge (HD or McEwen) for around 115 shipped

The Power Commander 5 (PCV) is around 289-299 from Fuelmoto (www.fuelmotousa.com) and will come with the map you need ready to install.

NEED is relative....these items will make your bike run the way it should, but don't NEED them to ride it. If money is an object I would start with the PCV from Fuelmoto which their map database eliminates the need for dyno tuning in most cases.

Later if you still feel to be running hot (engine enters parade mode often) then go for the oil cooler. Maybe get the oil temp gauge first if you aren't sure and watch it for a while. These engines operate as they should around 215-230 degrees oil temp. Much lower or higher and they are not running optimally.

I highly recommend the oil cooler if you can get it. It is a good insurance policy on your investment and will bring you longer life out of the engine. But if it needs to wait a while...it can. JMHO

Last edited by 09StreetGlider; 03-13-2009 at 04:03 PM.
Old 03-13-2009, 04:30 PM
StreetGlideMedic
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 to 09StreetGlider! Remember...HEAT KILLS ALL ENGINES! The above answers will keep your heat manageable and definitely extend the engines life if done correctly. All above also consume a buck or two. So research and find the good deals.

Ride safe, Mike

Old 03-13-2009, 04:38 PM
locodude
Road Captain

guess I'll put the hd premium oil cooler on the short list of things to get, are they hard to install. due for the 1k service soon.

Last edited by locodude; 03-13-2009 at 04:40 PM. Reason: left some words off
Old 03-13-2009, 04:38 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

As was mentioned, Jagg 10-row and HD Premium are your best options. I would also purchase a thermostat if you buy the Jagg, but the HD cooler has the thermostat already in the kit.

There are numerous ways to go to get your fuel management in order, a very popular one being the Power Package from Fuel Moto. This contains the PCV, AC, and Dyno-Tuned Jackpot Mufflers. For $660 it's hard to imagine a better package than this. The PCV can be purchased separately for <$300 with a map installed for your configuration.

I would advise against the IED/XEID resistors unless you want to keep your stock setup and make no future changes. They will richen the closed-loop area of your EFI map to cool things down a bit and possibly improve part-throttle response but will not affect anything above about 50% TP (throttle position). So if you nail the throttle the XIED's are not affecting anything. If you make common changes like a free-flowing AC you'll need to at least install the HD Stage 1 download, which will help, but for that money spent you could've purchased a real EFI controller like the PCV.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:03 PM
09StreetGlider
Road Master

guess I'll put the hd premium oil cooler on the short list of things to get, are they hard to install. due for the 1k service soon.
As long as you are already doing the service...it's a two beer job.
Only special tools required are:
Torque wrench (in lb is fine)
7/16 allen socket

Chances are you will not find a 7/16 allen socket...so go to the hardware store and buy 1 bolt with a 7/16 hex head about 1 1/2 to 2 inches long and get about 3 nuts to fit the bolt. Thread all the nuts on the bolt and jam them up at the end so they wont move when you tighten the outermost one. Then stick the head of the bolt in the oil filter adapter and use a regular socket on the nuts to torque the oil filter adapter down. Easy and cheap fix as the only 7/16 allen socket I was able to find was in a $105 kit from sears. I went for $2 worth of bolt and nuts.

Thanks to ICLICK for giving me this tip!