Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King prodject need some help....

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 03:27 PM
rnmac
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road King prodject need some help....

I am very new to this site but have been a fence watcher for some years now. My question is in ref to my 04 FLHPI Project. I am asking the question here what am I still missing to be complete???
I have bought everything listed below for my bike over the last year and it is all in storage waiting to be assembled when I get back from Iraq in June. I am going with the baddad 4 inch rear smooth fender cover, extended tank and dash, extended nessel, Indian front fender, and Long Wide Gator boxs, tsukayu fairing with 6.5 inch Klock Werks Windshield. I have a Corbin low profile saddle, and pad, cyclesmiths 19" banana boards. Ness-tec flame grips, rear pegs, shift pegs, shift link, primary and timing cover. For wheels I am using a 21 x 3.5 Chrome diamond Mammoth spokes front with an Avon Venom 21x70x120 and I am keeping the rear stock. I got 11.5 inch Progressive 412's for the rear and I am going 2 inches down on the front with progressive also. I am using stock front and rear brake calipers but have floating rotors for the front with chromed lowers, flush axel and rounded chrome spacers. I have 28/29 ford taillights for the rear of the saddlebags with Bad Lands load equalizer system. I am going with the Kuryakyn V-Shield Horn Cover and mustache bar instead of the normal crash bar. I took off the rear crash bars also and went with the H-D hidden supports. Because I was told it worked I got a Glide Pro Stabilizer for good measure also. I am using ness hand controls and a Wild1 508 for a handlebar. I have the Stainless cables all around and went with the H-D Flush mount Fuel cap and LED gauge kit. For exhaust I have the Reinhart True duels. OK That is everything that is waiting to be put on any suggestions to what I still need or am doing wrong with this set up. Anything...... Thanks for you expertise

Last edited by rnmac; 03-26-2009 at 01:49 AM.
Old 03-24-2009, 03:32 PM
kromdom
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow and welcome. sounds like you've got pretty much all bases covered.

Old 03-24-2009, 03:56 PM
molsen
Road Master

Holy cow!!!! You got a ton of stuff going on all at once. First thanks for what you are doing. Second put it together, mock it up get painted and go from there. They are really never done. Go from there. See how she looks.

Old 03-24-2009, 04:09 PM
ffdharley3
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RK project

Welcome and thanks for your service and commitment. Sounds pretty good, take your time and if you run into trouble ask here on the board or call the associated company. I have my RK stripped right down now as well. My tins are out for paint.

Old 03-24-2009, 04:12 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Wow. One thing missing are the HD Civilian and Police Supplement Service Manuals. I mention them because of the wiring; primarily the hand controls. Your bike has an interlock switch in the left hand lever/clutch perch (similar to the brake light switch in the right hand control) and I doubt that the controls you purchased accommodate the interlock switch. It's a simple task to jump the interlock switch and use handlebar controls for civilian models.

You will also want to change the wiring for the horn in the left hand controls, and the pursuit/passing lamp switch in the right. The wiring diagrams will help you replicate the civilian wiring for the hand controls.

Thank your for your service and good luck with your project.

Old 03-25-2009, 12:09 PM
rnmac
Novice

Thank you, I never thought about the Manuals. I guess that will be the next thing on the list. For paint I am really thinking of going with Black with almost un-seen silver ghost flames from a painter in Battlefield, Missouri. Anyone ever hear of Clay Phillips or deal with him at Proformance paint and chassis? I think he is going to lay the paint to it when I return. Again thanks and I plan to take alot of pictures of the process from start to finish and post here. I am hoping for a head turner when it is finished.

Old 03-25-2009, 12:33 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like you've got your bases pretty much covered. You won't really know till you start gluing it back together. However you better make sure that Indian front fender will fit a 21" wheel and tire BEFORE you send it out to paint. You might just end up with it blistered due to the growing of the Avon when it heats up. You're usually better off with Metzlers for the 21" for that very reason. They tend NOT to expand nearly as much as other mfg when heated up to operating temp. That's one of their advertising highlights. Guaranteed NOT to grow. Be careful on that one. You'd hate to get that baby all painted and back together only to blister that front fender on the first good long ride. Good luck...

Old 03-25-2009, 12:46 PM
jdreed520
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like it has been said a couple times....take your time putting it back together..and yes get the manuals.......

THanks for playing in the sand box....keep your head down......Be safe..

Old 03-26-2009, 01:58 AM
rnmac
Novice

I am thinking about a ECU upgrade. ThunderMax or something equivalent. I do not know anything about these things. What is the best for my set up? It has a stock HD 88, stage 1 SE intake/Filter with a Bassani Road Rage on it now but will have Rinehart TD. Not to sure of the engine set up though I believe it is stock. Any suggestions or preferences?

Old 03-26-2009, 09:48 AM
Hagar the Horrible
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where is that little train that says this post needs pictures. Sounds great but we'd love to see it and you'll enjoy looking back at the photos after the bike is done.

Quick Reply: Road King prodject need some help....