Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spotlight wiring question

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 06:27 PM
2VV
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spotlight wiring question

Hello, I need some help with wiring. I have an 07 Street glide with Harley Davidson Spot light/running lights installed. The lights are controlled by the SPOT switch on the lower innner fairing. They shut off when the headlight is switched to HI Beam. I want to run these two lights indepently. I do not want them to shut off when the Hi Beam is on. Any suggestions on how to eliminate this relay while still using the SPOT switch. I switched this over on my RK, but it seams alot simpler.

Kevin

Old 03-26-2009, 07:12 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,945 Likes on 1,705 Posts
Old 03-26-2009, 07:14 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member

Using the above method, it is easiest to pull the ignition switch and remove the lower inner fairing switch cap and join the wiring right there to the right side where the wiring socket plugs into the harness

Old 03-26-2009, 08:56 PM
2VV
Cruiser

Originally Posted by dawg
Using the above method, it is easiest to pull the ignition switch and remove the lower inner fairing switch cap and join the wiring right there to the right side where the wiring socket plugs into the harness
I have that pulled off right now. I will look it over later. I will give you a shout if I have a question, thanks.
Kevin

Old 03-26-2009, 09:18 PM
saxmanbill
Advanced

Here's what I did. I wanted the spotlight on with the high beams; but I also wanted to be able to make them work like they did from the factory. I used a single pole/double throw, SPDT, toggle switch and mounted it in a HD blank switch cover. The SPDT switch has three terminals. Referencing DAWG's diagram: The yellow wire from the headlamp connector goes to the top terminal. The jumper wire that is spliced to the orange/red wire goes to the bottom terminal. The gray/black wire goes to the center terminal. If the toggle switch is in the center position, the spotlights are off all of the time. If the toggle switch is in the up position, the spots get power from the accessory fuse block and are on all of the time. If the switch is in the bottom position, the spots get power from the low beam headlight wire and are only on when the low beam is on (they are off when the headlight is switched to high beam). I used a washdown rated switch from McMaster Carr. The switch is supposed to be waterproof, I haven't had it in a heavy rain, yet. The switch was about $12.00.

Old 03-26-2009, 10:52 PM
2VV
Cruiser

Originally Posted by saxmanbill
Here's what I did. I wanted the spotlight on with the high beams; but I also wanted to be able to make them work like they did from the factory. I used a single pole/double throw, SPDT, toggle switch and mounted it in a HD blank switch cover. The SPDT switch has three terminals. Referencing DAWG's diagram: The yellow wire from the headlamp connector goes to the top terminal. The jumper wire that is spliced to the orange/red wire goes to the bottom terminal. The gray/black wire goes to the center terminal. If the toggle switch is in the center position, the spotlights are off all of the time. If the toggle switch is in the up position, the spots get power from the accessory fuse block and are on all of the time. If the switch is in the bottom position, the spots get power from the low beam headlight wire and are only on when the low beam is on (they are off when the headlight is switched to high beam). I used a washdown rated switch from McMaster Carr. The switch is supposed to be waterproof, I haven't had it in a heavy rain, yet. The switch was about $12.00.
Thats an option too. I mainly want as much light as possible during daytime riding, I ride with high beams on, but also want the passing lamps on.

I will play with this tomarrow.

Kevin

Old 03-26-2009, 11:05 PM
2VV
Cruiser

where does the acceccory lead go to? Just in case someday I want to add an accessory.

Old 03-27-2009, 07:41 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by 2VV
where does the acceccory lead go to? Just in case someday I want to add an accessory.
There's an accessory plug under the seat. That is controlled by this switch.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:16 AM
capt_caveman
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2VV
I have that pulled off right now. I will look it over later. I will give you a shout if I have a question, thanks.
Kevin
I did this mod inside the switch cap last year. It's a pretty simple cut-n-splice job.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:33 AM
mymatrix
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by saxmanbill
I used a washdown rated switch from McMaster Carr. The switch is supposed to be waterproof, I haven't had it in a heavy rain, yet. The switch was about $12.00.
Can you share the part number you ordered?
Did you use a boot for weatherproofing?

Quick Reply: Spotlight wiring question