Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tour Pack Detach rack problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 08:51 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts
Default Tour Pack Detach rack problem

I'm putting together my tour pack and detach kit. I installed the docking hardware to the bike, then I tried to attach the tour pack mount to it. The right side of the mount was tight but slipped in. The right side was so tight that it broke the plastic grommet on the rear doing point. I'm glad I haven't attached the tour pack to the mount yet, that would made this twice as hard.

Has this happened to anyone else? What was the fix?

Thanks ahead for you help.

Beary

Attached Thumbnails Tour Pack Detach rack problem-rearmtpieces.jpg   Tour Pack Detach rack problem-dsc01473.jpg  
Old 03-29-2009, 09:00 PM
Lucky 13
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Loosen the bolts on the bike mounts for the first fit. Then remove the tourpac and tighten them down. I actually had to spread the tourpac bracket on mine. The plastic on the mounts is real hard and cracks easily. Good news, most dealers have them in stock, about 8 bucks.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:03 PM
jdreed520
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good call Lucky 13 I have not installed mine yet but there have been other post and they talked about having to tweek the rack for the first fit...then tighten everything up. And also most dealers have the plastic pieces so that tells me that it happens allot.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:14 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member

I should have tried that, the parts felt so precise that I didn't think there was enough play. I will try that tomorrow. I'm sure that will fix it. Thanks for the help. The rest of it looks pretty easy.

Beary

Old 03-29-2009, 09:21 PM
2003flhtci
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I put mine on, I couldn't get the rack mount to go on the mounting points (I tried it before I installed the tour pak onto the mount). That sucker just wouldn't go.

Then I mounted the tour pak on the rack and it slid right on and has worked right ever since (2+ years). Go figure.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:08 PM
silverbullitt
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2003flhtci - Mine looks almost a twin to yours. I did all the detachables this week. Its an 03, same colors. Nice ride.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:17 PM
Donnylee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 723 Likes on 276 Posts

I bought a new back rest (Taller) it did not want to fit the existing docking hardware where my old one did. Was messing with it tonight for an upcoming pre-flight trip. I had to put the new rest it on it side on the ground and give it a mild push to bend it inward (bending it slightly both sides) It went right on after that.

I do not think the backrests themselves are that dead on out of the box after experiencing this. It might help, so I mentioned it.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:26 PM
turbo54
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by beary
I'm putting together my tour pack and detach kit. I installed the docking hardware to the bike, then I tried to attach the tour pack mount to it. The right side of the mount was tight but slipped in. The right side was so tight that it broke the plastic grommet on the rear doing point. I'm glad I haven't attached the tour pack to the mount yet, that would made this twice as hard.

Has this happened to anyone else? What was the fix?

Thanks ahead for you help.

Beary
I got the tour pack and detach kit for 09 RG last week there is no way in heck mine will work like ya said something is going to brake , the mounts are good but I think the rack is the wroung for the mounts. Im taking the rack back.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:55 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine was extremely tight the first go around. So I loosened everything and put the tour pack on while it was not cranked down to spec. Tightened things up with the TP on, detached it, tightened to spec, which wasn't much more, and put the tour pack back on. It's still really tight, but I guess I'd prefer it tight with no movement or vibration than the other option. Good Luck.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:21 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by bigskyhd
Mine was extremely tight the first go around. So I loosened everything and put the tour pack on while it was not cranked down to spec. Tightened things up with the TP on, detached it, tightened to spec, which wasn't much more, and put the tour pack back on. It's still really tight, but I guess I'd prefer it tight with no movement or vibration than the other option. Good Luck.
Yes, I think this is what Lucky13 was suggesting. Don't know why I didn't think of it. I will go buy a new plastic piece and try your method. Just all the fun in doing these projects. I'm glad I'm in not hurry.

Beary

Quick Reply: Tour Pack Detach rack problem