Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyno question please.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 07:44 PM
Nitehawk
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dyno question please.

I posted this in another thread with no responce so maybe I will get some tips or advice here..

I have the bike scheduled for a Dyno tune next week, I spoke with one of the techs who said they have 2 guys who are very good on the dyno machine, he also mentioned they usually shoot for an AFR of 13.5 : 1, I will make sure I have the rear tire pressure set to 40 psi as I check it weekly anyway, will it matter what the air psi in my rear shock is and do I need to let the guy know that 90% of my cruising is in the mid range, nobody in my area has ever dyno'd their scoot, they usually just have the shop install SE mufflers, A/C and do the stage 1 ECM so I am sorta on my own here....any advice would be greatly appreciated.....
Should I speak with the tuner and ask if he tweaks beyond the 13.5:1 for HP or TQ reasons...?

Old 05-08-2006, 09:09 PM
bountyhunter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Dyno question please.

A pro tuner will set the AFR for the best balance of performance/fuel economy throughout the powerband. This will be indicated by a fairly steady flat line on the dyno chart.

Old 05-08-2006, 09:23 PM
Kahuna
Road Master

Nitehawk,

Based on your questions, I'm assuming that you have the Stage I air filter kit, a set of slip-on mufflers (or tru duals), and either an SERT or a PCIII already installed? If you have not done any of these, getting a dyno tune may not give you the best performance.

If you have all your parts installed, then getting the dyno tune is the next step. Regarding the fuel mixture, 13.5 is a good number. Just make sure to let your tech know if you plan to ride a lot in high altitude. This would affect your overall fuel mixture range.

About the shocks, there is no magic number you need to use to set the air pressure for the dyno. If you don't carry any passenger, zero PSI would do just fine. Your manual has the formula on how to compute the air pressure.

Good luck on your dyno run! Let us know the final numbers when you get the printout.

Kahuna

ORIGINAL: Nitehawk

I posted this in another thread with no responce so maybe I will get some tips or advice here..

I have the bike scheduled for a Dyno tune next week, I spoke with one of the techs who said they have 2 guys who are very good on the dyno machine, he also mentioned they usually shoot for an AFR of 13.5 : 1, I will make sure I have the rear tire pressure set to 40 psi as I check it weekly anyway, will it matter what the air psi in my rear shock is and do I need to let the guy know that 90% of my cruising is in the mid range, nobody in my area has ever dyno'd their scoot, they usually just have the shop install SE mufflers, A/C and do the stage 1 ECM so I am sorta on my own here....any advice would be greatly appreciated.....
Should I speak with the tuner and ask if he tweaks beyond the 13.5:1 for HP or TQ reasons...?

Old 05-08-2006, 10:42 PM
Nitehawk
Advanced

Yes Kahuna, I installed the V&H Oval slipons , Duals , SE A\C and a PClll, the bike runs great now with the canned map, but after reading posta throughout this forum I thought a Dyno would be money spent well, thanks for you reply, I have no plans to ride in high altitudes, I Usually stay on the Eastern side of the US when we travel.....

Old 05-08-2006, 11:17 PM
Mr Wonderful
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Nighthawk:
The 13.5 number is what everyone shoots for, regardless if it's a Dynojet PC or Racetuner. You are wise to have your bike put on the dyno and get it dialed in.....your fuel mileage will be maximized and so will your powerband. Plus, you won't have any lean condition anywhere in the throttle......nobody wants that. As for the tires, I run 40 psi in my rear and 38 in the front all the time. I think your tech just wants to be sure he isn't sitting on 30psi.
You'll like your results! Smart move!