Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wiring additional light in the rear

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 11:52 AM
ncbeast
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wiring additional light in the rear

OK this is what I am planning to wire up in the back of my 08 RG after removing the turn signal bar.

I will have....

TRI-BAR light 3 wires with the amp connector that goes in the top left socket of the tail light board....run/brake/ground

2 shotgun lights that replace the grab bar, 3 wires run/brake/ground

2 intigrator led strips 4 wires run/brake/ground/turn

The Tri-Bar will plug into the socket and I am going to reuse the 2 terminal amp connectors for the turn signals so 2 of the 4 wires each of the leds. What will be left is 2 more runs and 2 more brakes and 2 more grounds (one each from the shotguns and the strips). I would like to take the connector for the Tri-Bar light off, cut the factory pins off, twist each set of 3 together and crimp on new pins for the connector and have everything in one connector but I think that would be too much wire for the pins and connector. Another option would be to make some kind of 3 into 1 pigtail but that would a lot more connectors (male and female) and pins to buy plus it would be bulky under the fender or in the tail light lens.

Only thing I am seeing to do is from the Tri-Bar wires close to the connector splice the addition sets of 2 for each wire there. Twist each set of 2 together and cut back some of the insulation from each wire twist the 2 twisted wires around the one and soder and cover with some liqued electrical tape since it would be hard to use heat shrink with 2 wires spliced into one.

I would like to do everything in the tail light housing to save room under the seat since a PCV will be in the future and it is already tight under there and would really not like to splice everything but need something that will be durable and vibration proof.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Old 05-14-2009, 12:58 PM
TheShrink
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Find a place to put the Badlands Illuminator and wire everything to that. You will have to do some cutting and soldering and shrink wrapping, but it will be worth it in the end. (pun intended)

Old 05-14-2009, 05:41 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

If all you are looking for is an unused run/brake/ground connector, use the accessory connector under the seat. Anytime these projects come up, there is the cost of buying connectors (with the accessory connector it would be a Deutsch DT series connector) pins or sockets or both--but it is almost always under $20--an irrelevant factor for a good, reliable installation IMO.

Another unused run/brake/ground connector is the tour pak wiring harness on your bike (since you don't mention if you are using it for a lighted tour pak).

There is virtually zero room behind the tail light lens for any messy wiring.

Good luck with your project.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:23 PM
ncbeast
Road Master

I am not using a tour pack but wanted to save it in case I do. I wanted everything in the tail light so I would not have to run the wires back through the fender and under the seat. If under the seat is going to be the best place then some one else here gave the idea of using this http://www.ridetimetechnology.com/qc...er_adapter.htm and maybe cut the butt connectors off and use some posi-tap connectors or just solder. This way I will not be splicing into any of the bikes wiring.

Is there a better way to run wires back to under the seat other than up through the chrome fender rails and then under the fender strut covers?

Is this my best option?

Old 05-15-2009, 06:24 AM
ncbeast
Road Master

bump....

Old 05-15-2009, 08:53 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by ncbeast
I am not using a tour pack but wanted to save it in case I do. I wanted everything in the tail light so I would not have to run the wires back through the fender and under the seat. (Through the fender?????) If under the seat is going to be the best place then some one else here gave the idea of using this http://www.ridetimetechnology.com/qc...er_adapter.htm and maybe cut the butt connectors off and use some posi-tap connectors or just solder. This way I will not be splicing into any of the bikes wiring.

Is there a better way to run wires back to under the seat other than up through the chrome fender rails (?????) and then under the fender strut covers?

Is this my best option?
1. Don't know why you would shotgun lights "through the fender." And I'm not familiar with the "intigrator" lights so I don't know where you will place them.

2. If you remove the chrome strut covers (two bolts on each side) to expose the struts, you should see that it is very easy to run wires along them and under the seat without going inside the fender.

3. As for the RTM module/harness, I'd use their crimp connectors rather than posi-taps.

4. It's unclear whether the tri-bar light you are going to use is a SG facia LED (the accessory version, OEM replacement that is a run/brake light) or the fender extension/tri-bar light. If it's the SG accessory replacement, you will need to change the AMP connector that plugs into the tail light circuit board since it's intended to be connected to the tour pak harness, not the circuit board so it uses a different connector. If it's the fender extension tri-bar light, that is intended for the circuit board and has the correct connector already in place.

As for the "best option," that varies. On my bike, I wired saddlebag spoiler LED's to functon also as turn signals by tapping the HD module that converts the turn signals to run/brake lights; installed LED's in the SG fascia LED and wired it to be a run/brake light; wired the tour pak spoiler LED to the Ultra light harness in the tour pak; wired the SG fascia LED to the license plate light LED's in the SG turn signal bar; etc.

You could try the search function since others have installed the shotgun lights and ask them how they wired them.

Good luck with your project.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:00 PM
LandinGear
2nd Gear
Default Tie it up

Make your connections then run a single wire to a new or existing plug pin... There is plenty of room behind the tailight to loop extra wire and tie it to the existing clips under there... If you don't think shrink will work with 2 or more wires coming out to one, you may want to get some help with the project... SHRINK everything! Don't use liquid tape as it will not hold up! Double shrink it if you have any doubts! Extra time spent with a good soldering gun and the right shrink will avoid aggravation on the side of the road in the future.. I Build bikes for a living, and wiring is the achilles on most projects I see of this sort... Hope this helps

Old 05-15-2009, 09:41 PM
fathertime
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ncbeast
OK this is what I am planning to wire up in the back of my 08 RG after removing the turn signal bar.

I will have....

TRI-BAR light 3 wires with the amp connector that goes in the top left socket of the tail light board....run/brake/ground

2 shotgun lights that replace the grab bar, 3 wires run/brake/ground

2 intigrator led strips 4 wires run/brake/ground/turn

The Tri-Bar will plug into the socket and I am going to reuse the 2 terminal amp connectors for the turn signals so 2 of the 4 wires each of the leds. What will be left is 2 more runs and 2 more brakes and 2 more grounds (one each from the shotguns and the strips). I would like to take the connector for the Tri-Bar light off, cut the factory pins off, twist each set of 3 together and crimp on new pins for the connector and have everything in one connector but I think that would be too much wire for the pins and connector. Another option would be to make some kind of 3 into 1 pigtail but that would a lot more connectors (male and female) and pins to buy plus it would be bulky under the fender or in the tail light lens.

Only thing I am seeing to do is from the Tri-Bar wires close to the connector splice the addition sets of 2 for each wire there. Twist each set of 2 together and cut back some of the insulation from each wire twist the 2 twisted wires around the one and soder and cover with some liqued electrical tape since it would be hard to use heat shrink with 2 wires spliced into one.

I would like to do everything in the tail light housing to save room under the seat since a PCV will be in the future and it is already tight under there and would really not like to splice everything but need something that will be durable and vibration proof.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks
there is another unused connector rolled up in your left sidecover..its the one the flhx uses for the fender tip lamp

Old 05-16-2009, 12:19 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by fathertime
there is another unused connector rolled up in your left sidecover..its the one the flhx uses for the fender tip lamp
That's the tour pak wiring harness used by EG Ultras and Classics with tour pak lights; and, as you mentioned, SG fascia LED.

Old 05-16-2009, 07:51 PM
ncbeast
Road Master

So there is another plug under the left side cover? I thought most everyone adding the Street Glide rear fascia was using the plug on the left side of the seat? Little confused here...and i was thinking that the tribar light in the fascia would plug into the top left of the the tail light? Guess I am just going to have to wait til I get all of the parts in and really see in person what I am dealing with. The Street Glide Fascia should be here on Tuesday so I will get that set up. Later I want to remove the rear turnsignal bar and add 2 LED strips that have red and amber leds, so 4 wires each...run/brake/turn/ground. Later want to add the Shotgun lights which are 3 wires run/brake/ground. Then again later I will add 2 amber LED strips to the sides of the bike that will have 2 wires, turn/ground. I guess this would be easier if I got everything at the same time and wired everything at once but my budget does not permit this at this time. Also was trying to use plugs for everything thinking that it was less risky and more durable than splicing. Also would like to leave a connector for a future tour pack.

Quick Reply: wiring additional light in the rear