Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter problem, 103 engine, Need advice.

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 10:34 AM
johnharley
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Starter problem, 103 engine, Need advice.

I am having a starter problem on my 07 Eglide Classic. I had the 103 inch kit put in new right from the dealer. I am having a starter problem with 10k miles on the bike. When I start the bike sometimes it turns over and then it sounds like the starter disengages for just a fraction of a second then engages again. It makes a horrible sound. I brought it by the dealer yesterday and it did it for them. The bike is still under warranty. They did the 103 upgrade. I have not been happy with the service there in the past. The service guy immediatly said it is probably because of the higher compression of the engine upgrade and not a warranty issue. He suggested trying some compression releases. Has anyone else had to upgrade a starter or add compression releases just form a 103 kit? What about the Screaming Eagle bikes that came with the 103 engine? Did they have upgrades like this? I think the service guy is trying to set me up for a big dollar repair on my dime. I need some advice before I take it in next week to have it worked on.

Last edited by johnharley; 05-24-2009 at 10:42 AM.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:04 AM
cowboy1
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by johnharley
I am having a starter problem on my 07 Eglide Classic. I had the 103 inch kit put in new right from the dealer. I am having a starter problem with 10k miles on the bike. When I start the bike sometimes it turns over and then it sounds like the starter disengages for just a fraction of a second then engages again. It makes a horrible sound. I brought it by the dealer yesterday and it did it for them. The bike is still under warranty. They did the 103 upgrade. I have not been happy with the service there in the past. The service guy immediatly said it is probably because of the higher compression of the engine upgrade and not a warranty issue. He suggested trying some compression releases. Has anyone else had to upgrade a starter or add compression releases just form a 103 kit? What about the Screaming Eagle bikes that came with the 103 engine? Did they have upgrades like this? I think the service guy is trying to set me up for a big dollar repair on my dime. I need some advice before I take it in next week to have it worked on.
Thats a compression stroke spitting through the air cleaner and isn't really an issue. Mine does it once in a while. I don't think you need a new starter. If you do end up needing a new starter, don't get a HD one, get a spyke as they are twice as strong.

Old 05-24-2009, 11:14 AM
quietman
Stage IV
Thumbs up

i believe you will have to get the HD high torque starter, its a chrome only, expensive piece. but, its cheaper than doing the machine work for compression releases, and in MHO a better way to go. i had a 103 kit on my RK with the high torque starter, and it worked great, even with a hot engine after long rides. best of luck to you

Old 05-24-2009, 12:03 PM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

What kind of compression did they put in your engine? I have a 103 with almost 10 to 1 and have 16k on it with the stock starter and never had an issue. How is your battery and electrical system? Theres a good chance your battery is getting old or there is a bad connection somewhere in the starting system.

The starter is the highest drawing circuit and usually has the kind of symptoms you described when the battery may be getting weak and if you have 10.5:1 it may have trouble turning the engine over or more likely a connection creating resistance and this will kick out the starter. I would load test the battery, check the connections and have someone do a starter draw test. As far as the horrible noise it sounds like the starter drive kicking back on the compression stroke, that makes an ugly sound.

Always start with the electrical system and make sure it is sound before you start replacing parts. Shame on that dealer for diagnosing your problem over the counter. Now you know why you are unhappy with there past service practices.

Old 05-24-2009, 12:15 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 816 Likes on 802 Posts

U said U did the 103, but did U bump the compression.? if not My dealer stands behinds his work for the 2 yrs..
and if U did bump it why didn't they put in the CR's when doing the job???

Old 05-24-2009, 01:05 PM
UALCapt
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My '07 FLHTP (factory 103") had about a 9.8:1 compression ratio. I received a factory recall letter one year after purchase offering warrantied installation of electric compression releases due to starting difficulties. I never had it done. Every so often the starter motor would bog a bit, but otherwise she started fine. I saw no need to have the dealership tear apart the heads. I agree that a heavy duty starter should solve any issues.

Old 05-24-2009, 02:16 PM
cowboy1
Road Warrior

I have 10.5.1 in my 103" and have not had any starter issues and am NOT a compression release guy. I don't ike using CR's as most of our bikes don't really need them. I rode it in over 100 degree weather last week and hot starts were fine. If my starter goes, I will install a Spyke starter as they will crank over anything...

Old 05-24-2009, 02:35 PM
doggie
Stage III

2007's and up with 103's have a compensator spring that is barely strong enough for a 96 much less a 103. I had the same problem and ended up replacing the compensator assy with a new and improved one. of course on my dime. worked wonders, but 450 bucks

Old 05-24-2009, 02:44 PM
kingkingking
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bagman is on the right track - you most probably have an electrical system or battery issue. As the engine is cranking the voltage is dropping to the point where the solenoid isnt throwing out the starter hard enough and it is disengaging. Probably nothing wrog with the starter or anything else. I would run the tests that bagman suggests, or just throw a new battery in her if you havent changed it in a coupla years.

Old 05-24-2009, 07:24 PM
mhud
Road Captain

I had a HD 103 stage II installed a few thousand miles ago. When the weather got warm I also had occasional hard starts. I read a post here suggesting to hit the starter button as soon as you turn the key; I was amazed it works every time. Try it, you may find it solves your problem too.

Quick Reply: Starter problem, 103 engine, Need advice.