Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low Speed Wobble

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 08:39 PM
bwana1
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Too much wgt on the rear of the bike. I am sure your saddlebags are overwgt, plus the tourpack and a bag on top of the tour pack. It essentially removes weight from the front tire. At low speeds your handlebars feel very sloppy, like they are very loose. Ask me how I know.

Bwana1

Old 07-17-2009, 09:14 PM
duane ratliff
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default axle

Originally Posted by VirgCS
I have a 2008 Annv Ultra Classic. Ever since i first went on a long ride with the Tour Pak filled and a bag on the rack - I have experienced a pronounced wobble (rear steer) at very low speeds - under 10MPH. When I try to u-turn or maneuver in a parking lot, the front end wobbles badly. No problem at high speeds. My dealer has checked all specs and said all seem fine but it continues. It usually starts at the end of the first day or start of the second of a long ride. Has anyone experienced this? Any input would be extremely appreciated.

Virgcs
Hi , Sounds like your bike has a loose rear axle nut an the cam has come of the tract look in your Harley factory tool pack an get the large flat chrome rear axle nut wrench out lay down on the grass . use the thin wrench to turn the axle nut out or loose an make sure the the welded on cam on the left side is snug against the swing arm ,then use your wrench to loosen the belt till it sags . then tighten your axle nut on the right side till snug then go back to the left side an take the slack out of the drive belt with the flat wrench .will be the welded on nut. after snugging the belt go back to the right side an tighten the axle nut tight as you can with the factory flat chrome wrench. this will should stop the wobble as I have had the same problem twice before . sometime the rear axle just gets loose an will show it's self at low speed turns . I hope this is your problem . Duane #617849 Blue 08 Ultra Born 8-02-07

Old 07-17-2009, 10:49 PM
VirgCS
6th Gear
Default Neck Bearings

He showed me the swing - but not without the fairing and radio, etc out -- is that the way the front swing should be evaluated? It was OK with the bike together.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:53 PM
VirgCS
6th Gear
Default bwana1

Sorry but 30 lbs is not too much weight - in addition I am 150 and my wife is 100. No way can you tell me that that is too much weight for an Ultra. The folks at my dealer saw what I was carrying and said it was light weight. I carried 3 times as much on my RK with no issues. Thanks for your thoughts though.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:58 PM
VirgCS
6th Gear
Default Duane - new thought - thanks

Duane - I will definitely make sure my mechanic checks this out - sounds very plausible - thanks.

Old 07-18-2009, 07:23 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,783 Likes on 1,379 Posts

The spec on the swing is without cables attached. You don't have to pull the radio to test the swing, but you do have to disconnect the cables. At least that's what it says in my shop manual. My bike doesn't have whatever gizmo on the axle that Duane is describing.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:27 AM
VirgCS
6th Gear
Default Front swing

Thanks, Hess. I'll discuss with my mechanic. In rereading Duane's note in the cold light of day it my be he's jerkin my chain - I'll discuss with my guy, too, and see if there is any reality there.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:33 AM
VirgCS
6th Gear
Default 09 slow wobble

Monkeyman - what you described is exactly what I go through - but once it starts it is petty constant on all slow speed moves - even stopping. My u-turns are agonizing and very slow - on a 2 lane road it is a bit un-nerving. I have been blaming the old frame - sorry to hear it is still on the 09's. I am working on a resolve and if it works I'll let you know. Please let me know what your dealer says and how they attack it.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:50 AM
KopperTop
Road Captain

I have an Anniv. Ed. Ultra and had low speed shakes. They disappeared when I intalled the TWR link. Low speed turns were a PITA before and now are fine. YMMV.

Old 07-18-2009, 10:13 AM
bobros
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an '09 RKC and have experienced low speed wobble also (4-5 times). Always making left turns under 10mph. Feels like the bike is sliding out from under me.

Kopper, can you explain more about this TWR link?

Quick Reply: Low Speed Wobble