Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roadside Camping

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 01:45 PM
swlamedic
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Roadside Camping

I would like to do more traveling than I already do, but I would like to save some money by tent camping. I do not have any guide for tent camping across America, although, I found plenty of publications for RVs. I do not feel safe camping by the side of the road, nor at rest areas along the highway. These places seem to be prone to robberies. Although, I carry a pistol with me when I travel, it is too easy to sneak up on someone sleeping, and I can not relax thinking like that, so I end up not getting much sleep. I tried sleeping in my car at a rest area, and maybe got an hour nap, but couldn’t get any real sleep, so I continued on. I do not want the hotels taking most of my budget, and I know I could travel further on less money if I could avoid them. I want to try to ride to the Artic Circle in Coldfoot, Alaska next year, and if I am able to, I would like to camp most of the way, only stopping in hotels every three or four nights for a good rest and a shower. I know that sounds nasty, but I want to travel across this great land like the bikers of the old days did, and be free.

Old 07-19-2009, 02:08 PM
glide2005
Supporter
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Get a fairly good GPS, and it will show you where the KOA's are located. They're usually pretty safe. Good luck, sounds like fun.

The following users liked this post:
07FXSTOki (07-06-2019)
Old 07-19-2009, 02:51 PM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 980 Posts

look up KOA and request a book of there locations
in America. You can have yourself a safe good nights rest,
after a dip in there pool and a warm shower I grew
up in KOAs across america And I still love them.
Everybody knows that big money people don't stay
at KOA, so you probley wont find too many robbers at one.
Pleasnt dreams Swlamedic

Old 07-19-2009, 04:17 PM
dtmues
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on the koa's. Only disadvantage is most koa's are near interstates, unless that's how you plan to travel. Fees vary from campground to campground. Their website is http://www.koa.com/

Also, in this area, quite a few smaller communities have a public campground. Typically no pool, and showers may be a cr@pshoot. But the lower crime rate & qiet towns might make up for it depending on who you are. Another place to check is websites for state game & parks (you can buy a two day pass in Nebraska for around $2.50 & camp for around $5 a night. Other states have similar fees & setups, Many of those have showers, you just gotta check their websites. You can usually find a link for them on their tourism websites.

The wife & I are leaving on a 3000 mile road trip this friday & will be staying at koas, campgrounds, & motels.

best of luck on your trips

Last edited by dtmues; 07-19-2009 at 04:20 PM.
Old 07-19-2009, 05:10 PM
bksmoky
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Another KOA plus. If real bad weather is in the area see if a Kampin Kabin is available. I hate putting up a tent in the rain. They are cheaper than motels and all you need is your sleeping bag.

Old 07-19-2009, 05:52 PM
Bonesbike1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also check out state parks. Most have good facilities and I would think you would be safe there. My 2 cents.......

Old 07-19-2009, 06:34 PM
418S
Elite HDF Member

KOA is hog heaven for campers. I found them relatively expensive but worth it - you'll save $$.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:27 PM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Any good book store will have a guide to all the independent campgrounds, & you can stop by the closest KOA & pickup one of their free guides. There are thousands of campgrounds across the country, & for a few dollars a night you get a campsite, usually a pool, a store, a laundry, & bathrooms with showers. The only problem with motorcycle camping on a cross country trip is moisture. If it rains you pack up wet. If it doesn't rain you get a late start if you wait for the dew to dry off your gear. Otherwise you pack up wet. If you have the time it's a fun & inexpensive way to travel.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:08 PM
confused
Road Captain

AAA has a books on campgrounds by region; southeast, northeast, northwest, southwest, etc....

Old 07-19-2009, 08:09 PM
cruise_carter
Road Captain
Received 39 Likes on 13 Posts

get a KOA 'Value Kard', costs 24 a year and you will save more than that over the year as it gives you 10% off

Quick Reply: Roadside Camping