Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CB Radio Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 02:37 PM
DamnYankee
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CB Radio Issue

I’ve got a strange problem with my radio, and am attempting to eliminate as many possibilities as possible before taking it to the dealership. The radio sound crystal clear on both transmit and received when sitting still, or moving less than 20mph. Above 20mph, you can hear popping / static while transmitting or receiving. I’ve changed out head sets, and verified the noise is independent from engine RPM. I am now thinking it has to be an antenna problem, or ground issue with the antenna. Any body got any other ideas. The bike is an 09’ Ultra with 1300 miles (the radio has acted this way since day one)

Old 07-27-2009, 11:22 PM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Lightbulb

WE had this problem on our 02 Ultra. When we bought the 07 I didn't immediately replace the rider's headset,and the popping came with the new bike as well. I had thought the problem was the under tour pak connector to the wife's headset because I had no problems when she wasn't plugged in. BUT, it was my headset after all, and the fix was to replace the headset. The noise may have been more noticeable when the rpms were up and the alternator was putting more juice into the system.

The fact yours is quiet when the bike isn't running, and just off battery, suggests the need for a line filter on the power connection to the radio. Do you get the same noise on the FM side? If so, its probably in the power connection. If not, there could be an antenna ground issue on the CB.

Hope I've helped and not confused you.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:54 AM
DamnYankee
Advanced

Thanks for the response. FM, auxilliary, and CD are all clear, only the CB is causing the issue. Sitting still with the engine running, or even moving at speeds less than 20mph, everything is still clear. I'm going to check the antenna and ground connection next, thinking the wind is moving the antenna and creating a bad connection. If all else fails, I'll try a new head set. Thanks again

Old 08-21-2009, 01:22 PM
Noble Jim
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Dear Mr. Yankee:
I have the same problem on my 08 Ultra. The CB works ok sitting still, when moving there is a lot of popping in trans or receive. Did you resolve the prob?
Jim

Old 08-21-2009, 03:36 PM
DamnYankee
Advanced

Originally Posted by Noble Jim
Dear Mr. Yankee:
I have the same problem on my 08 Ultra. The CB works ok sitting still, when moving there is a lot of popping in trans or receive. Did you resolve the prob?
Jim
Yes I did Jim, it was my buddy's bike. He had put the shorty antennas on his about 8 months ago, and apparently never talked to anyone but me on the CB. We took each bike out seperately and used my base station to test them both. My radio was fine, ans his sounded like hell. He put his old whips back on, and problem solved. Only advise I can give is to try another antenna. Good Luck, and let me know what happens.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:30 AM
peddler
Club Member
Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by DamnYankee
Yes I did Jim, it was my buddy's bike. He had put the shorty antennas on his about 8 months ago, and apparently never talked to anyone but me on the CB.
Are these the new HD shorty antennas your buddy had installed and had problems with?