Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CB Radio won't transmit

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 05:21 PM
Chicago Spike
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Question CB Radio won't transmit

OK, this CB radio install has been one nightmare after another. I tried it myself last year, found out a few things, blew a few CB units finals in the process. So this year I gave the bike to my dealer. They got me a new CB unit, the Ultra CB radio overlay harness, new HK radio, new handlebar PTT controls and have tested the power output and the SRT or whatever that is from the antenna. Everything as it should be and within specs. The radio receives fantastic, but when it transmits it sounds like the talker is 50 ft from the mic, no output???????
I told them, "We don't know what else to do?" is NOT an option. They have called HD and talked with their radio experts, and I have not heard yet what he has told them to try this week.
Anyone else have a clue or a direction I can steer them??
Thanks

Old 04-14-2009, 09:43 PM
Chicago Spike
Road Warrior

Bumping it up

Old 04-14-2009, 09:53 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

HD's Electrical Diagnostic Manual has an excellent diagnostic logic tree for pinpointing the problem(s). You've been at the dealership already, but if it was my bike, I'd review that Manual myself.

Hope you find a solution soon.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:00 PM
Greyboat
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey there Chicago Spike,
Well, the only thing I can tell you is the antenna needs a really good ground. I am sure you have figured this out given the units you smoked. You cannot get transmit power out the antenna without a solid ground. A motorcycle is a poor ground plane to begin with so you really want to connect that antenna ground to the frame of the bike with as big (wire gauge) and short (distance) a ground wire as possible. Do a search on CB antenna grounding. Once you have done that, then you need to tune the antenna with an SWR meter. Sounds like you know that already, but this will allow the max power to be transmitted giving the highest possible transmit range.
One other suggestion, find the closest trucker CB repair place near you and take it to them, these guys know CB's and may be able to help. We have one in town given our proximity to I-40.
Don't know if any of this helps you out. Good Luck!!
Ron

Old 04-14-2009, 10:29 PM
StreetGlider56
Road Warrior
Default Breaker Breaker...

That metal plate in the tour pack is your ground plane. it can not work with out a good ground to that plate, also SWR'S need to be below 5 ... Flat is best... I used to run a Bi-linear (1500 watts) with two 102 inch whip antennas on my pickup. (telling my age)

I use to go to the beach and throw a jumper cable in the surf and connect it to my trailer ball and talk skip all the way to Canada (from Galveston)..

Old 04-15-2009, 09:44 AM
Chicago Spike
Road Warrior

Thanks!! I have an idea now, here's what I have in the trunk. The ground plate is there, the antenna is attached to the p[late. NOW, does that plate ground to the bike through the bolts that hold it to the trunk supports?? These that are normally chromed metal, and on my trunk are now powder-coated black along with the fender struts being blacked out too. So there is no metal to metal contact to make a ground all the way to the bikes frame???

Old 04-15-2009, 10:01 AM
NYRobG
Advanced

Originally Posted by Chicago Spike
Thanks!! I have an idea now, here's what I have in the trunk. The ground plate is there, the antenna is attached to the p[late. NOW, does that plate ground to the bike through the bolts that hold it to the trunk supports?? These that are normally chromed metal, and on my trunk are now powder-coated black along with the fender struts being blacked out too. So there is no metal to metal contact to make a ground all the way to the bikes frame???

That might be a good part of your problem right there. You need a solid ground or you're going to fry another transmitter.

Old 04-15-2009, 05:55 PM
Chicago Spike
Road Warrior

Well, not the grounding. The shop was good and tried running a seperate ground already. But thanks

Old 04-15-2009, 06:07 PM
DrPlastic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Have you modified the antenna?

Also what was said before ensure you have an excellent ground. If you have to grind the powder coat away so the bolts and antenna mounts have metal to metal contact. If you can run a separate ground wire (a braided chassis ground bonding jumper) from the antenna base to the same point as the battery ground.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:16 PM
Chicago Spike
Road Warrior

Nope, antenna is OEM long whip. Everything is now a 2007 OEM Ultra radio set-up. All except me transmitting

Quick Reply: CB Radio won't transmit