Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helical vs Straight Cut 5th Gear

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 02:10 PM
Clint55
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Helical vs Straight Cut 5th Gear

Stuck at home on call and bored so I figured I'd "whine" a little about 5th gear.

Not quite sure what to think now that the MOCO has swapped to the Helical cut for ther 2010's. For years, people have been calling their dealers and asking "what about that whine in 5th gear?" The answer has always been that the Straight cut "whine" was a good thing and "normal". They said that the straight cut was stronger and better for a heavy load / high torque / passing gear and so they used it for 1st and 5th and to not worry about the whine.

So my two issues are these. 1) Either they BS'd about the logical reason for the "whine" on the pre 2010's. Or........ 2) They have now built a bike with a weaker 5th gear because it will cut back on the customers 'Whining" about the 5th gear gear noise.

Seems like it has to be one or the other. I'm leaning towards No. 2 but keeping an open mind if there's something I'm missing.

Old 08-09-2009, 02:29 PM
rbabos
Banned

Yes it is weaker, but likely up to the task. It will also rob hp, since straight is more efficient that way. Howerever they did shut the whiners up.
Ron

Old 08-09-2009, 02:50 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd bet it's #2... Got sick of the bitching from those who didn't like the sound.

The 5th gear whine is minimal on my bike, doesn't bother me at all.

Old 08-09-2009, 02:59 PM
Desoto
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Clint55
2) They have now built a bike with a weaker 5th gear because it will cut back on the customers 'Whining" about the 5th gear gear noise.
Or maybe progress in metalurgie made the use of a stronger alloy in the making of that gear so the MOCO can cut helical teeth instead of strait cut and have the same strenght. Probably not the answer but could be.

Old 08-09-2009, 03:01 PM
Northside
Road Warrior
Received 141 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Clint55
Stuck at home on call and bored so I figured I'd "whine" a little about 5th gear.

Not quite sure what to think now that the MOCO has swapped to the Helical cut for ther 2010's. For years, people have been calling their dealers and asking "what about that whine in 5th gear?" The answer has always been that the Straight cut "whine" was a good thing and "normal". They said that the straight cut was stronger and better for a heavy load / high torque / passing gear and so they used it for 1st and 5th and to not worry about the whine.

So my two issues are these. 1) Either they BS'd about the logical reason for the "whine" on the pre 2010's. Or........ 2) They have now built a bike with a weaker 5th gear because it will cut back on the customers 'Whining" about the 5th gear gear noise.

Seems like it has to be one or the other. I'm leaning towards No. 2 but keeping an open mind if there's something I'm missing.
It's simple. Harleys always used straight cut gears in their trannys. The camshaft was always geardriven too. Listen to old car trannys, they whine in lower gears. Listen to a knuckle, pan or generator shovel, they whine too. I remember the school bus whining in low every morning. In years past Harley riders understood their bikes, most could work on them, and had grease under their fingernails. A little whine running through the gears sounded cool. Now days a lot Harley riders, not all, can't even ride their bikes (they trailer them to rallies) let alone work on them or understand what makes them tick. Read this forum if you think that's not true. Grease under their nails, heaven forbid! If it don't sound like a Lexus or whatever it's atrocious. "Screw 'em" I say, but Harley depends on these guys to buy bikes. These guys have more dough than guys like me, and are more easily seperated from it. So, to cater to the ignorant uninformed public they changed the tranny to a less durable more expensive design. It's all about sales! Imagine that, and the yuppies will post about the "improvement".

Old 08-09-2009, 03:07 PM
sqwkvfr
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another vote for number 2.

I bought a 2009 RK four days ago. I was worried about the whine. After i signed the papers and started it up, I couldn't believe that people had been bitching about THAT.

I absolutely LOVE my new bike. It sounds like a machine.....the whine, the ticking, the exhaust, the brakes....all something that someone could complain about should they be so inclined, but I think it's all part of the package, and I love it.

Almost have 500 miles on it now and you couldn't get the grin off of my face no matter what you did!

Old 08-09-2009, 03:16 PM
07JakeelwoodHD
Road Master

sywkufr.
Im with you if you dont like the sound of the bike go buy a Gold Wing or other that sounds like a sewing machine..Stop bitching and ride the ****ing thing

Old 08-09-2009, 03:28 PM
lp johnny
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What in the world is the big deal...?
let's me know I'm in 5th..in the unlikely event I forget...
with the pipes, the stereo and the wind noise..why it a non troublesome whine any issue at all?
Mechanical things make noises.

Old 08-09-2009, 03:44 PM
glide2005
Supporter
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

5th gear whine, didn't know it had a whine. Couldn't here it anyway with these pipes. Hell, I can't even here the radio. Some people just like to bitch about somethings. If you don't like the way a Harley sounds, then go buy a Honda.

Old 08-09-2009, 04:13 PM
street_glider
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Northside
It's simple. Harleys always used straight cut gears in their trannys. The camshaft was always geardriven too. Listen to old car trannys, they whine in lower gears. Listen to a knuckle, pan or generator shovel, they whine too. I remember the school bus whining in low every morning. In years past Harley riders understood their bikes, most could work on them, and had grease under their fingernails. A little whine running through the gears sounded cool. Now days a lot Harley riders, not all, can't even ride their bikes (they trailer them to rallies) let alone work on them or understand what makes them tick. Read this forum if you think that's not true. Grease under their nails, heaven forbid! If it don't sound like a Lexus or whatever it's atrocious. "Screw 'em" I say, but Harley depends on these guys to buy bikes. These guys have more dough than guys like me, and are more easily seperated from it. So, to cater to the ignorant uninformed public they changed the tranny to a less durable more expensive design. It's all about sales! Imagine that, and the yuppies will post about the "improvement".
This post sounds about right!

For me - I love the whine.

Quick Reply: Helical vs Straight Cut 5th Gear