Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HQ 107 advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 06:15 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Head Quarters is a great place and I may deal with them again in the future, if they start answering the phone again. EMAIL comunication is not sufficiant when you are talking about dropping that much money.
If you won't talk to me you're not getting my money!

Old 08-27-2009, 06:24 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All of the HQ builds I've done have produced.

I have been VERY impressed with the 107's.

As has been said, and I am a very firm believer that numbers don't tell the story. In fact, to me, numbers don't really mean ****. Having been down this road so many times, "Rideability" is what truly matters.

Have it assembled and tuned properly and you will be thoroughly satisfied. There is no comparing the HQ motors to S/E crud.

In reference to the "clean up" vs professional porting question..... You can NOT pay HQ to do a "clean-up". That's really a bit of a joke to say joeblow "cleaned up" the ports in my heads for only xxx $$$'s. What they really did was butcher them such that any professional won't even touch them. Kinda like a magic trick.... watch me turn a perfectly good set of heads into boat anchors.....

Old 08-27-2009, 07:35 PM
bigjohn1percenter
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have 26000 miles on my HQ 107ST, and i'm still more than trilled with it !!!!!!!! if you find someone with a HQ build that aint happy, you will never be able to make them happy,

Old 08-27-2009, 07:41 PM
ryanl
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilM
In reference to the "clean up" vs professional porting question..... You can NOT pay HQ to do a "clean-up". That's really a bit of a joke to say joeblow "cleaned up" the ports in my heads for only xxx $$$'s. What they really did was butcher them such that any professional won't even touch them. Kinda like a magic trick.... watch me turn a perfectly good set of heads into boat anchors.....
Seen many good combo's come out of shops like bigboyz that had just a basic street port/clean up of the heads. Very $$ efficient builds. Dont know if I would call Bean and the crew "BUTCHERS". Having the heads blueprinted "cleaned up" is essential, and part of the process of ANY PROFESSIONAL HEADWORK (even HQ). Dont know what kind of BS generalization your trying to make about only butchers cleaning up heads, and turning them into boat anchors.Your posts are usually pretty informative, but either I completely misunderstood you or you are just clueless in this arena.

Old 08-27-2009, 07:52 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ryanl
.... you are just clueless in this arena.
Thanks Pal!

Next time I need some advice I'll look you up.

Last edited by PhilM; 08-27-2009 at 08:23 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:03 PM
Hammer107
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seen many good combo's come out of shops like bigboyz that had just a basic street port/clean up of the heads. Very $$ efficient builds. Dont know if I would call Bean and the crew "BUTCHERS". Having the heads blueprinted "cleaned up" is essential, and part of the process of ANY PROFESSIONAL HEADWORK (even HQ). Dont know what kind of BS generalization your trying to make about only butchers cleaning up heads, and turning them into boat anchors.Your posts are usually pretty informative, but either I completely misunderstood you or you are just clueless in this arena.
I'm going to go with C. You have no clue what you are talking about.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:03 PM
albatross
Road Warrior
Received 296 Likes on 216 Posts

All of the HQ builds I've done have produced.

I have been VERY impressed with the 107's.

As has been said, and I am a very firm believer that numbers don't tell the story. In fact, to me, numbers don't really mean ****. Having been down this road so many times, "Rideability" is what truly matters.

Have it assembled and tuned properly and you will be thoroughly satisfied. There is no comparing the HQ motors to S/E crud.

How much concern is there with the stock crank when you bump to the 107?

Old 08-27-2009, 09:23 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Yes, I believe you misunderstood Phil's point which is "cleaning up the ports" often results in the heads being useless for further, professional fully ported head work. Anyone with with a rotary tool can "clean up" ports. Now, if Phil had said something about BigBoyz specifically or street porting generally, you might have a bone to pick with his phrasing.

Your reference to "BS generalization" was, IMO, out of line given what Phil actually wrote and what you thought he wrote.

If you want to insult someone with profanity, pick somebody else; Phil is one of the really good guys on HDF.

Old 08-28-2009, 12:48 AM
Lonewolf176
Road Warrior
Received 272 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
Yes, I believe you misunderstood Phil's point which is "cleaning up the ports" often results in the heads being useless for further, professional fully ported head work. Anyone with with a rotary tool can "clean up" ports. Now, if Phil had said something about BigBoyz specifically or street porting generally, you might have a bone to pick with his phrasing.

Your reference to "BS generalization" was, IMO, out of line given what Phil actually wrote and what you thought he wrote.

If you want to insult someone with profanity, pick somebody else; Phil is one of the really good guys on HDF.
Ahhh... Carl you said it so well...

Old 08-28-2009, 04:03 AM
ryanl
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Pal!

Next time I need some advice I'll look you up.
Or you could just try calling HQ.....

If you want to be insulted thats your perogative, im willing to except that perhaps I misunderstood your post. I even stated that in my own post, of course you didnt quote that part. A full blown port job is not necessary to set compression to desired levels, and strip the paint out. And like I said, HQ DOES THIS as part of their "PROFESSIONAL PORTING". This alone can be done for around $300 from most places. And set up by someone who knows what they are doing and the right cam, you will see a nice bump in performance. No magic tricks there. Im sure the OP will be happy with his package, and I never said anything to the contrary.
If I came across as being a little abrasive, or hurt someones feelings.
Well, the internet is definatly not the place for thin skin.

Last edited by ryanl; 08-28-2009 at 04:06 AM.

Quick Reply: HQ 107 advice