Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lower the bike or not ???

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 09:52 AM
hogowner69
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just sold my '06 Ultra....I am also 5'6" with a 30" inseam...send your seat to Mean City Cycles......they can lower it 2" and also puch you foward. It will cost you $100 plus the shipping.....it will also include memory foam for comfort.........quick turnaround time!

Old 09-12-2009, 10:08 AM
Drail
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I lowered my 06 EG with the blocks. Started out at 2" drop. loved the way it felt going thru the curves but when riding 2up it bottomed out bad even with shocks pumped up. Went up to 1" drop, now rarely bottoms out 2up and never 1up.

Old 09-12-2009, 11:08 AM
Jukebox
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my seat done by MCC Seats and I put some SG shocks on the rear with some heavier oil in them and I still have a great ride and the ground got a lot closer to my feet. The handeling has actually improved abit. You won't be sorry.

Old 09-12-2009, 01:10 PM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am thnking of using the Progressive front springs. Then send the rear shocks to Bitchin Baggers and use their front fender brace (drop the fender) as well. Drop the whole thing 1" front and rear. Im thinking...

Old 03-08-2010, 10:00 PM
wildey
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Im truly baffled, why the heck would HD make the low profile shock for the Ultra which is designed to ride 2 up and is most the time if the dog gone thing bottoms out? What was the purpose then?

I have the same problem, Were riding an 08 Ultra and at 5 ft 9 inch 29 inseam it was tough to begin with. Top that off with no butt and trying every seat in the market we eventually bought a Russel Day Long.

Now I got comfort but the bike feels higher cause you don't have that cut for your legs to clear and if im on any grade I don't have the push cause my stinking feet don't go flat

Thinking about going to the shoe store in town and telling him to add some sole to my boots, I may look like im from the 70's with platforms but if thats what it takes I guess thats what im going to have to do

I welcome all suggestions even pm me

Old 03-08-2010, 11:08 PM
hiwaytime
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Harley has two factory shocks for the touring models. The Road King and the Street Glide have a 1" shorter rear shock than the Classic, Ultra Classic or Road Glide but other than that they are the same bike. On my 08 Classic, I just had the dealer put on the Road King shocks and it lowered the back end and the bike is fine. The reason I did it, believe or not, is because when you set the bike up straight on the stock Classic shocks the tailpipes are going up hill and it drives me crazy. Look at it and you will see what I mean. You put on the Road King shocks and the pipes are nice and parallel with the ground.

Old 03-09-2010, 06:36 AM
wildey
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hiwaytime
Harley has two factory shocks for the touring models. The Road King and the Street Glide have a 1" shorter rear shock than the Classic, Ultra Classic or Road Glide but other than that they are the same bike. On my 08 Classic, I just had the dealer put on the Road King shocks and it lowered the back end and the bike is fine. The reason I did it, believe or not, is because when you set the bike up straight on the stock Classic shocks the tailpipes are going up hill and it drives me crazy. Look at it and you will see what I mean. You put on the Road King shocks and the pipes are nice and parallel with the ground.
Now I never owned a road king so do they have the air shocks on them too and same poundage adjustment psi as the Ultra's?

One of the things I did last night after my post was downloaded the installation instructions for the low profile Ultra Shocks, and well after reading the psi ratings for 180lb rider and 160 lb (340lb total) passenger with luggage being the max at 50 psi it only makes sense that if I weight 230 and my wife 220 that (450lb) passengers then add luggage that those shocks are not designed for our weight capacity and it makes sense that they bottom out or ride very hard.

So whats the kings capacity according to the RK manual, is it rated for us heavy weights like the Ultra is?

Did you ride 2 up and was your weights near ours? higher or lower? what psi did you put in them? how about the floor board clearence? I scrape mine all the time turning corners, not heavy just light scraping but either way its touching already.

Thank you