Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Zero Buffeting - Screen vs Fairing vs Nothing?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 09:18 PM
nosillyname
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zero Buffeting - Screen vs Fairing vs Nothing?

Looking for some advice regarding these different set ups as I am about to purchase a new bike - a touring bike - because I'm tired of getting beat up by the wind on long day trips on my dyna (just sold) and have been doing more of these long days in the saddle each year.

BUT I have also read so much about buffeting caused by both fairings and the windshields that it makes me think I might be very disappointed with my purchase....

What do you guys think is the best set up to ensure no helmet turbulence/buffeting??? I'm 5'10" if that helps, and thinking about the Road King or Street Glide.....

Thanks.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:22 PM
PowerFactor
Road Master

Just from my own experience on my Ultra, buffeting has never been a problem for me. I am 6'1" and just use the stock windshield with a half-helmet (or without sometimes). There are tons of different opinions, though.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:23 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,335 Likes on 3,273 Posts

Street Glide with a 9" windshield for your height should protect you from the wind...Klockwerks or other curved shields should offer a bit more protection...Anything you ride will always give you a bit of wind buffting....go test drive a couple bikes you'll see. I like the fairing better.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:32 PM
ranman469
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have played around with things and the best combo i came up with is fork wings and http://customflhtwindshields.net/ the fork wings make the biggest difference i dont like the wind without the wings
i ride a ultra

Last edited by ranman469; 09-15-2009 at 09:47 PM.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:35 PM
bellgnte
Road Master

If I use the windscreen and NO helmet, it is a beautiful ride. If I use the windscreen and a helmet, the buffeting/head rattle/shaking is horrible. I put on a pair of fork air deflecters to see if that help. Haven't had a chance to drive it yet with the rain coming down.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:40 PM
78fxs78
Banned

I notice more buffeting with the windshield on my wifes Softail and Zero on my FLH Classic with a Fairing. Don't like my face blowing backwards with nothing in front of me. My old 78 Lowrider is ok without up to 55.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:44 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,100 Likes on 1,023 Posts

One word, ULTRA!

Old 09-15-2009, 10:03 PM
Yojimbo
Cruiser
Default RK windshield

I have an 09 King, and found the OEM windshield inadequate. I got the larger HD 'shield and it was also too small. So I got a Clearview shield in their largest size. It's actually too big, so I'm working it down with the Dremel tool until it's just right. Buffeting is minimal and the ride and view are both great. And if you're very careful, you can't tell that the shield was modified.

Old 09-15-2009, 10:04 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm just a little over 5'10" as well, and I've been through them all. I've got the detachable fairing on my Road King, and I'm now running the Klock Werks 6 1/2 in shield. It does a pretty decent job of protecting, and I don't notice any really significant buffeting. The tall Road King shield did the best for me, but I've got my eye on the new 8 1/2 Klock Werks that's due out very soon. If you're serious about touring, you need the fairing type bikes. They offer a lot of options, and windshields are snap to change. Most of us have 4-5 at least that we've gone through trying to find the perfect fit. I happen to like the look and feel of the Klock Werks shields, and they bubble up every once in a while on the classifieds. I'd say go rent a variety of bikes and find out what works for you.

Old 09-15-2009, 10:43 PM
Silverslider
Tourer
Default my experience with wind

Ok heres what I have found. I have an 09 Street GLide. I am about 6' 2" tall. I had minimal buffeting (barely noticed it) with the stock 4" wind shield. I just installed a 8" long ride for the fall and have no buffetting.
On the 4" shield the wind hit me right about eye level.
I do not wear a helmet so even with only glasses on the buffeting was minimal, it was more of a direct blast of air passing over the screen versus turbulent flow caused air casacading in the pocket behind the wind screen. With the 8" the wind just hits the top of my head.

Quick Reply: Zero Buffeting - Screen vs Fairing vs Nothing?