Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What tie downs do you recommend

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 04:05 PM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Ozoneman
I need to get some tie downs for hauling my bike. I plan to use a Nomanco motorcycle trailer. Anyone have any recommendations?
My recommendation is to buy the Kuryakyn tie-down teardrop brackets. They bolt on the front forks. It's a 5mn job. They're nicely chromed and pretty much invisible under the fairing. 40 bucks a pair.
You won't have to wrap the tie-downs around the handlebar or around the triple tree anymore. Just attach the hook of the tie down to the bracket and you're done.

As for the tie-downs, any heavy duty (800-1000lbs) tie downs will do. Go to Walmart, they sell a set of 4 with ratchets for 35 bucks or so.

Old 09-21-2009, 04:32 PM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

I've always been a big fan of Ancra Tie Downs way back from my dirt bike riding days.

Old 09-21-2009, 07:49 PM
shooter64
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Powertyes.....that is the ONLY strap we use...and we truck a lot of bikes in a years time. The big daddy 2" has built in soft ties. PM me if you need help, we stock them by the case, as we sell Haulmark and Featherlite trailers as well. We wont sell any other brand

Old 09-21-2009, 08:06 PM
mhud
Road Captain

Nearly as important as tie downs is a good wheel chock. I use the condor and it's terrific; I think it would hold the bike with no tie downs on an easy ride. I purchased 4 heavy duty tie downs from my HD dealer, can't remember the name but I have never used them. The first time I used my trailer I was picking up my bike from the local HD shop on a cold rainy day. The service manager saw my heavy duty store bought HD tie downs and said hold on, I have something better. He brought out 6 tie downs used by Harley when they ship new bikes to the dealers. He tied down my bike in about 5 minutes and it did not move an inch. Since then I have used the same ones about 5-6 times, they work great. They have a metal hook on one end only so the only thing touching the bike is the nylon strap. I was at a HD shop recently and saw they had a big box of these for sale for $1 each. You may want to check your dealer, good luck!

Attached Thumbnails What tie downs do you recommend-100_1300.jpg  
Old 09-21-2009, 08:39 PM
Jzabel
Tourer

If there is anyway you can do it, go this route. I have one for each of my Harleys and i'll never look at another ratchet strap again.

These are undoubtedly the best way to transport your bikes

http://www.robertsprod.com/

Old 09-22-2009, 03:34 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I use the Big Daddy Powertyes, built in soft tyes with sheep skin covers. 2" model.

Also have a set of Ancras with built in soft ties. Cheaper and work just as good.

I don't really trust friction type straps. They are okay for tying down to a lift or something, but if you are going to haul your bike, you should tie it down with the worst possible senario in mind.

The difference in straps is mainly in the ratchet. I wouldn't trust my ride to cheap discount- store ratchet straps. Might as well pick up some store brand oil and a fram oil filter while your there.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:33 AM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Good wide soft ties & Ancra straps. Stay away from ratchet straps. They hold well, but you can't tell how much force you're puttin' on things & if you attach to a bolted on part you can break the part or the bolt.

Old 09-22-2009, 07:01 AM
captjon37
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Big Daddy powertyes. They have the soft tie built in to a 2" ratchet strap. If you are the type that spins off bolt heads and strips screws then you may want to try something else. Maybe string. I use a condor in my cargo trailer with 6 d-rings. Last trip was 2K and after I strapped her in she never moved and I did not need to adjust the straps. Nothing under bike. Worth every penny. I bought 2 extra soft tyes to carry on the bike just in case I need it towed.

Last edited by captjon37; 09-22-2009 at 07:06 AM.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:14 PM
chuckyl
Advanced

What acchd said. I've used Ancra's for 25 years on dirt bikes, race bikes, cruisers and my '09 Ultra. Match them up with a Pingel wheel chock and you're good to go!

Chuck

Old 09-22-2009, 01:26 PM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jinks
Good wide soft ties & Ancra straps. Stay away from ratchet straps. They hold well, but you can't tell how much force you're puttin' on things & if you attach to a bolted on part you can break the part or the bolt.
that is why my "torque arm" is so valuable!!......

Quick Reply: What tie downs do you recommend