Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

detachable fairing wiring?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 01:43 AM
slickscustoms
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default detachable fairing wiring?

for those of you that have wired in a radio on your detach fairing, how did you wire the power supply? i was thinking about wiring into the aux switch on my road king with a disconect but i'm wondering if that will supply enough juice if i run a amp.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:46 AM
Glenn W
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Most std. automotive radios are 3-wire;
yellow=battery pos.
black=battery neg.
red=ign. pos. i.e. any 12v+ source that comes on when the ign is on or in acc.

You need the yellow & black hooked up all the time to hold your station presets & clock time, and that is also the main circuit for when the radio is in use, so I strongly recommend going right to the battery for those and skip any bike circuits. Fuse the yellow right at the battery with an in-line fuse of 15-20 amps even though the radio harness has it's own fuse. The radio fuse won't help if the power cord shorts somewhere. The red wire can go lots of places, I recommend the orange w/white stripe of your bike's current wiring. You'll find two or more of them in the big bundles near the battery, same circuit-just pick one.
edit: make sure you have good light, there's also an orange w/silver stripe-you don't want that one.

Last edited by Glenn W; 09-24-2009 at 09:49 AM.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:02 PM
slickscustoms
Cruiser

ok thanks. i was hopeing i could wire it into my aux switch but wiring it strait will be ok too.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:57 PM
mdalex
Intermediate

Originally Posted by slickscustoms
ok thanks. i was hopeing i could wire it into my aux switch but wiring it strait will be ok too.
Take it from someone that has a '07 Classic, you can indeed wire this to your aux switch on your forks. Harley parts offers a y-adapter harness that plus into the OEM aux plug under your seat (near the battery). This is a four pin connector plug. One pin is negative/ground. One pin is 12volt when the ignition swith (console) is on. One pin is 12volt when the aux switch on the forks is switched on. The last pin has 12volts WHEN THE BRAKES ARE APPLIED!! Make sure to verify these either by checking with the Harley dealer, or checking the wiring deagram in the service manual. I warn you of this so that you will not make the same mistake I made! I made the mistake of reading the "12volt when brakes applied" as a ground. This blew a fuse, made my tail light stay on, and not allow my cruise control to engage (with the brake/brake light is applied the cruise control kicks off).

In addition, I ordered three sets of plugs/connectors/pins so I could make a harness to run under the console. I used male plugs for that harness. I used a female connector on my fairing wiring.

I hope this information helps.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:55 PM
Glenn W
Tourer

No reason you can't use the aux switch, I just don't know why anyone would want to. You need a 12+ that's always hot to keep station presets on virtually all car stereos, and it needs to be able to handle a honest 8 amp draw. Rather than tax any existing systems, I prefer to go right to the source and fuse the circuit separately. Since all three needed connections are right under the seat I like to go there. Just me, and your way is fine if you're happy that way.

Old 09-24-2009, 10:44 PM
TMair
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wired the yellow right to the battery, the ground and the red into a plug that I got from harley for an aux. power plug, this one plugs into the little plug under the seat as mentioned above (this one is wired into the aux switch, the ground is ground all the time in that plug, and I did not know there where three hots in that plug so glad I got the hook up from Harley, anyway works fine for me.
Terry

Old 09-25-2009, 10:48 AM
mdalex
Intermediate

By the way, my detachable fairing was modified to house four 6.5" speakers, instead of 5.25". The radio opening was changed to accomodate a double-din sized radio. This way I could have navigation on my radio, rather than my nav mounted on my handlebar. There is a small amplifier inside the fairing.

I agree that a constant 12volt is needed for memory functions on the radio. However, the original question as I understood it was "Can a detachable fairing be wired to the aux switch?" Yes, I find it annoying that each audio source starts from the beginning each time I start my bike. I guess it is all about compromise! In order for my fairing to remain quick-detachable, I am willing to spend 2-3 seconds.

Old 09-25-2009, 12:38 PM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

I've done couple of aftermarket fairing installs. Dead Center Cycles Fairings makes a very nice detachable power harness that utilizes Deutsch DT series detachable plugs. It mounts on the frame neck of bike for easy access to plug/unplug. It's wasn't expensive and they sell them separately if you call. I wired the +plus and -minus across the battery and third wire to acc(ignition switch) wire. Wasn't a big deal to me to reset radio presets.

Old 09-25-2009, 05:37 PM
Glenn W
Tourer

Originally Posted by acchd
I've done couple of aftermarket fairing installs. Dead Center Cycles Fairings makes a very nice detachable power harness that utilizes Deutsch DT series detachable plugs. It mounts on the frame neck of bike for easy access to plug/unplug. It's wasn't expensive and they sell them separately if you call. I wired the +plus and -minus across the battery and third wire to acc(ignition switch) wire. Wasn't a big deal to me to reset radio presets.
Interesting, from what you've described the clock & presets should be retained when the bike is off. Maybe you have the red & yellow leads from the radio reversed? I'd go nuts if I had to redo all my FM & XM stations just because I stopped for gas. Your fairing sounds cool with the big radio screen, got a pic?

Old 09-25-2009, 07:52 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

Yep, I did mine, and it's really no big deal. You've got the right answers above.

Quick Reply: detachable fairing wiring?