Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Identifying Paint Codes

Old 09-30-2009, 11:48 PM
Lowside
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Identifying Paint Codes

Anyone know of a reference for determining official Harley paint codes? I believe the name of the burgundy red on my 2006 Road King is Fire Red Pearl but want to have the code to give to the painter when I take my aftermarket fairing to be painted. Also looking for the paint codes for the orange stripe and the black section, which I believe is just standard Harley Vivid Black.

Thanks for any help,

Ted - Denver

Old 10-01-2009, 12:13 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Your painter, if he's using PPG paint, can get the PPG paint codes and mixing forumulas by providing the model, year, and paint name to his PPG distributor or do it himself if his shop has the PPG computer software and paint mixing facilities. You have Fire Red Pearl, vivid black, and, the pinstripe is Tomato Red.

You or your painter can get the HD part nos. for the paint at your local dealership parts counter. They should have the HD paint book or have the information available on HD's intranet database. Fire Red Pearl and vivid black are available in aerosol cans, as well as liquid quart quantities (which is way more than you would use for an inner fairing, which makes using PPG better since the distributor can mix the quantity of paint necessary).

Good luck with your project.

Old 10-01-2009, 06:07 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Harley won't give you a paint code. They will sell you a quart of paint, but they will not give out a paint code number.

My PPG painter used a side cover to match my Dark Blue Pearl paint for my new saddlbags.

Old 10-01-2009, 07:18 AM
07JakeelwoodHD
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have been trying to get paint code for candy rootbeer fro several months HD will not give there paint code for any reason..Someone on the site mentioned the paint code is under the fuel tank on a white tag I found it but not sure how to read it and if it covers both colors

Old 10-01-2009, 07:39 AM
xmeter
Tourer

I have also been trying to get the code for Copper Pearl. It is not listed in the PPG database and the dealers absolutely will not give out the info.
That is the first I have hears about the tag under the tank. I will have to check that out.

Old 10-01-2009, 08:41 AM
jackja25
Road Captain

You might do a search on this forum. I think within the past 6 months Dawg listed all of the paint codes.

Old 10-01-2009, 09:21 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by 07JakeelwoodHD
I have been trying to get paint code for candy rootbeer fro several months HD will not give there paint code for any reason..Someone on the site mentioned the paint code is under the fuel tank on a white tag I found it but not sure how to read it and if it covers both colors
The shop where my bike was painted had the PPG computer software and PPG mixing facility (bascially it consists of 40-50 paint containers of different colors). The painter showed me how to use the computer (to give me something to do while he shot the parts) to look up various HD colors and I specifically recall finding light and dark candy root beer on the computer with the mixing forumula for them.

A PPG paint distributor would have the same software and mixing facility to provide paint to shops that don't have the software and mixing facility.

As for HD's paint codes, HD has part nos. for paint if you want to buy aerosol, quarts, or touch-up paint, but they do not provide part nos. for aerosol or quarts in the CVO or custom colors.

As previously mentioned, some shops have a color camera that allows a picture to be taken of the part and a paint mix formula provided calculated.

jharanin (sp?) on HDF works for PPG and can provide you with the PPG paint codes for HD bkes, formulas, and a distributor who can sell you the PPG paint. PM him.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:28 PM
07JakeelwoodHD
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I went to 2 PPG dist in my area both stated the color matching gun is only about 70% accurate he was tring to match it by eye on his laptop I told them forget about it I wasnts spending 300.00 dollars on a guess

Old 10-01-2009, 12:32 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by 07JakeelwoodHD
I went to 2 PPG dist in my area both stated the color matching gun is only about 70% accurate he was tring to match it by eye on his laptop I told them forget about it I wasnts spending 300.00 dollars on a guess
PM jharanin; he'll be able to give you the PPG codes and formulas.

Old 10-01-2009, 01:39 PM
vtwinbmx
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

PM jharanin
He was very helpful getting me the PPG numbers for the paint I was looking for. He will be able to give you what you need.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Identifying Paint Codes