Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

plastic scratch removal

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 08:34 AM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by CroK
I have a nephew who has a few scratches on his SG wind shield from installation asked me the same thing. I thought, (but have never tried it), that maybe those polishing kits for head light lenses might be worth a shot...
That would be a big no no.
Almost all uses some type of abrasive to remove the stains, sand paper etc.... I had an old wind screen that I used to test to see what would happen and work. The best was with novus #2 then #1 , sand paper removed the scratches, I used 2,000 grit, but left a blurred finish. Could have been the type of material the wind screen was made of.

dd

Old 10-09-2014, 11:05 AM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by jasilva
Since a Clearview shield is what the OP is trying to repair and Clearview SELLS Novus products with their shields on their website I'd say he'd be safe using it.
I have used Novus on my Clearview over the last 6 years and it does work. I did not see much in the way of results with hand rubbing so I finally chucked up a wool buffing pad into my variable speed drill to have a go at it using No. 3 Novus. It does work but you must keep the pad moving constantly to keep from burning the shield. My cordless drill didn't spin fast enough so I switched to an electric drill, which does.

Follow No. 3 up with the same procedure using No. 2. Finally, hand clean using No. 1 Novus. This procedure will mitigate nearly everything except a scratch that is so deep you can feel it with your fingernail. If it is so deep that you can feel it by dragging your fingernail over it you will need to ask for divine intervention because nothing I have ever used will give you much solace.

Old 10-09-2014, 01:32 PM
Fast Aire
Former Sponsor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Auto/Bike clear coat paint wax has a very fine abrasive in it & if used with a small power buffer, can remove most fine scratches in uncoated plastic like acrylics. Like everything, go slow & do it several times.

ps: start with a well cleaned windshield... one spec of sand can ruin the plastic.