Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FLHRPI

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 12:20 AM
molly1
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FLHRPI

Hi. I am a new member and I posted in the new member yesterday, but someone mentioned that I should try here also.

I haven't ridden in a long time-- used to have a 1000cc sportster. I am getting the "need" to start again. I was thinking about something like a softail standard.

I ran across a 2005 and a 2004 FLHRPI. The 2004 has 4200 miles for 14,000 and the 2005 has 1400 miles for 14,900.

Both are in excellent shape and really look good. I guess that I am partial to the 2005.

My questions are,
typically, are these good bikes? Is there anything particular to look for? What is really different or special about the police version? are there usually extras on them or are there features missing from the standard road king? The 2005 has a different seat, more comfortable and also for a passenger. I guess that I would need passenger footpegs and some kind of mufflers to make it sound better. They said that there are slip on's that are very good and sound good for about 300.00.

I am new to this stuff, so I apologize for the questions, but any help will be greatly appreciated. I really didn't want such a big bike for just running around the city, but I think that I have been bit hard.

Thanks

Old 07-08-2006, 01:01 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Default RE: FLHRPI

I purchased an 04 Electra Glide police model, FLHTPI, in Feb. 05, and am glad I did.

The difference between the 04 and 05 will be the 05 will come with the balance of the factory 2-year warranty; the 04's warranty expired. You can also purchase an extended service agreement for the 05 but probably cannot for the 04.

The 05 may have ABS brakes; the 04 won't. The option is worth about $800 on a new police model. On the 05, look in the right hand saddlebag--if it has a large intrusion on the front portion of the bag compared to the left bag, the bike has ABS brakes. Also, look at the left front brake rotor; if it has a series of small slots evenly spaced around the hub, it has ABS brakes. Not every 05 police model came with ABS brakes. Some folks like the option, others don't.

The police road king is no different mechanically than a civialian road king; I have compared the parts books for both models on such things as cams, gear ratios, etc. and they carry the same part numbers on the civilain and police model touring bikes.

The police saddlebags have large hockey pucks used to open and close them. They are actually much easier to use than the civialian version--cop bags open with one hand; civialian bags require two. If you don't like the hockey pucks, email me about chrome flush mount latch kits.

The biggest cosmetic diffence is the switch housings on the handlebars. You have red switches for siren and pursuit lamps. On a regular road king, the passing/pursuit lamps are switched from a non-handebar mounted switch. It is very easy to convert the police switches and housings to HD or much less expensive after-market chrome switch housings, levers, clutch perch and master cylinder. It makes a huge change in the appearance of the bike and definitely gets rid of one of the "Policier" elements, the red switches.

Harley sells a large selection of tank badges and decals if you want to put something on the tank which is bare from the factory.

Harley sells the police models at a substantial discount from their civilian equivalents in order to keep this business that is very competitive from Honda, BMW, and others. So the police models that come on the market represent good values for touring bikes, accepting their obvious differences from the civilian bikes.

Shoot a cop bike black (although some do come in black and other colors, though most are birch white), change out the switch housings to get rid of the red switches, and throw on a set of leather saddlebags and it is hard to tell what road king you are riding.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-08-2006, 07:02 PM
molly1
2nd Gear

Thanks for that information. Actually the two that I am looking at are in color. One is black, the 05 with 1400 miles and the 04 is two tone blue with a pin stripe. Both tanks are plain. I believe that both are original factory paint. Afteer looking into this more it was explained to me that these may not have actually been owned by police departments but as you say, purchased off of the floor as police models, by anyone. That makes me curious, why someone would get rid of a 05 with 1400 miles on it. I do not believe that either of the bags were different from the other inside. Someone told me that the police bikes typically come with run flat tires??? If I change the mufflers for some slip ons, ( I was told that I could get some good ones that look like factory pipes but sound much better for about 300.00) do I need to do anything else to keep it running right?? Both are fuel injected.

The longer I look into this, the more I want a large bike.

Any other information will be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-08-2006, 09:36 PM
Eyespy
Road Warrior
Location: Southern California High Desert, here and there....

Just a little to add to the information you've already been given. I also purhased an Electra Glide police bike, a 2000 FLHTPI, and I'm also very happy with the purchase. The ABS brake option was an available option on the FLHTPI in 2000. Some have them, some don't (mine does not). The cop bikes do come with run-flat tires. Not rated for 2 up riding, so if you want to add a passenger seat and ride a passenger, you need to change the rear tire. I was able to purchase an extended warranty even though it's a 2000 model, so this option should be available to you on an 04. Yesterday I removed the stock exhaust cans and mounted up a set of Samson Silver Bullet slip ons with the taper cut. Looks similar to stock, except smaller in diamter. The chrome is outstanding, Samson makes high quality exhaust systems. The sound is awsome now, and there is a very noticeable seat of the pants improvement in power as well. It spins up quicker also. Retail, they are around 360-370 or so. Right now, I'm having a set of heads built up with gear-drive cams and a 95" kit with 10.5:1 pistons. I don't think you would be disappointed with the Road King police bike. I preferred the Electra Glide because I wanted the batwing fairing, so that would be another option to consider, ie, look around for an FLHTPI for sale. In California, the cop bikes cannot be sold to civilians unless they are used and decomissioned, meaning the ewd and blue lights are removed, siren removed, Police Department insignias removed, etc. Good luck and hally hunting.

Old 07-08-2006, 09:37 PM
HTRAUD
Road Warrior

You should check to see if th ebikes are "Shrine" models. If they are, then there are not police service models. Rather they are regular RK's with a law enforcment/peace officer sticker on the paint. HD sells these models to law enforcement at a reduced rate. Check out HD's website for further info.

Old 07-21-2006, 08:02 PM
mhsmith451
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is that all there is to the Shrine model? I bought an 04 with 2900 miles on it...the original owner had added the RK classic leather wrapped bags. At first I thought it was the basic FLHRI...then with further research I found it was the Shrine and haven't been able to find any information aboutn the model differences...Any information or pointers to information would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Matt

Old 06-05-2007, 07:22 PM
sixthreenine
Stage IV

Did you do any mod. to the luggage rack? I have an 05' FLHRPI, and I'm looking for ideas(relocating air compressor, etc)for cleaning up original police trunk mount.

Thanks.

Old 06-05-2007, 10:03 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

639: I replaced the air seat and accompanying hardware with a stock seat. I considered relocating the air reservoir to the front forks and the Service Manager at my HD store said there was no reason not to with the correct length plastic air hose. I have since read of others who have mounted the air reservoir in a saddlebag, but don't know what they do if they remove the saddlebag.

I took the hardware and rack off the back of the bike and installed a solo seat; looks great to my eye with the exposed rear fender. Added a Tour Pak using detachable rack; it's seldom on the bike.

Old 06-05-2007, 11:16 PM
sportyrider1
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: sixthreenine

Did you do any mod. to the luggage rack? I have an 05' FLHRPI, and I'm looking for ideas(relocating air compressor, etc)for cleaning up original police trunk mount.

Thanks.
Ive got a stainless replacement rack that bolts up to the stock mount. when I designed it I was not running the air ride seat so I didn't add those holes but they could be added with minimal trouble. as far as rear floorboards patience and eBay will prevail

Old 09-09-2018, 07:40 AM
Ed Stone
Stage I
Default 03 Roadking Police FLHRPI

I have an 03 FLHRPI Roadking Police. Black, plain tank, 100th anniversary medallion on front fender and left sige engine block. I removed the air shock system and replaced with 1" shorter coil overs from http://street.pro-action.com/features . I'll put these on the Road Glide when I can afford it. Replace exhaust with S&S True Duels and these slip ons: https://www.jpcycles.com/product/504-113/v-twin-manufacturing-muffler-set-with-chrome-shooter-style-end-caps .

It has a tachometer, still has the red switches for the lights, horn and siren.
I love this machine and plan on passing it along to my grandson. For now, we ride!
Also own a 2012 Road Glide Ultra and a 2017 Deluxe .

Anyway, I'm looking at installing an aftermarket sucker and a Vanse and Hines FP3, on the Roadking, any suggestions?

Last edited by Ed Stone; 09-09-2018 at 07:42 AM. Reason: Spelling

Quick Reply: FLHRPI