Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone put a fairing on a Road King...

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 03:56 PM
#1rocketman
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I hadn't been on here much since the 1st of summer,now that winter is quickly approaching and I've gotten some ideas what I might like to do,I started reading the posts again.Saw this post and since I was thinking about a fairing,I read everyone.I think I had already imagined the pros and cons but I wanted to hear them from you guys.Since I've already owned 92 Ultra,I had some insight going into this purchase.I also had put a sound system on a previous bike cause we wanted some tunes.I liked that system,the speakers were basically the chrome buckets similar to the driving lamps w/pioneer speakers,an amp,inline volume control,etc. I sold thhat stuff after I bought the Ultra(wish I hadn't now)figured I wouldn't need it anymore but the bug hit me again as I always really wanted a RoadKing.I missed the tunes part,and I missed the protection the fairing gave us in the colder months,just cant say I was always in love with the fairing look.When I started seeing removable/quick release fairings I thought this might be worth looking into.After seeing some of the prices$1400 or so and up,I thought ....naw.Then when we were down in Fayetteville,Ar for Bikes,Blues&BBQ this fall,I came across a vendor that was selling them for $795 including stereo,speakers n wiring.They had a RoadKing,Softail,HondaVTX and some other models there so you could see what they looked like on.So I guess my point in this is that if your considering one but don't want to put out alot of money or may only want to use one periodically,this might be an option.Also I've been looking at some on ebay that go for around $200 or so(without stereo gear)that mount to your windshield hardware.
I found the brochure from Fayetteville,the web site is: wideopencustom.com

Old 11-18-2009, 04:09 PM
ddm502001
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Mine finally arrived, only took 3 weeks and looks great on; only today it is raining its butt off and the temp dropped to under 45. At least it gives me a chance to wire it in properly and to install new RK II bars while I'm at it.

Attached Thumbnails Anyone put a fairing on a Road King...-dsc02133.jpg  
Old 11-18-2009, 04:30 PM
cuda67bnl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by TMair
IF you want to go taller then 10" windshield you might want to give Glenn a call first just to make sure you wont have any issues.
Terry
What kind of issues? I bought a couple of different height shields with mine. The biggest was 10".

Old 11-18-2009, 10:05 PM
TMair
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cuda67bnl
What kind of issues? I bought a couple of different height shields with mine. The biggest was 10".
The 10" and under at just fine, I made my own and put it on, then posted it here, Glenn called PM'd me with his phone number so I could call him, he told me that the fairing was not designed to take the pressure from a windshild that size, it was basicly a sail, 16" tall and way wide, he suggested that I cut it down, and shape it more like the one that was on the road king, anyway I took it off, put the 10" back on and noticed that it was diverting as much wind over my head as the larger one, he also suggested that if I wanted a windshield that diverted more air over/around me I look at some of the recurved windshields that are out there.
Terry

Old 11-21-2009, 09:03 AM
angelo1234drums
2nd Gear
Default 07 RK with Fairing

I like mine. Had it painted to color match blackcherry

Old 12-10-2009, 09:15 PM
rgrecco
Road Master
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

I love the look of my Invicta Fairing... Just got it back from the painter today...

Now if I can only find speakers that fit it... 4.5" mounting hole no bigger then 6" grill... Anyone know anything decent???

My radio is 4x50 watt (200 total)

Here are 2 pictures of my fairing on my 2008 Road King

Attached Thumbnails Anyone put a fairing on a Road King...-img00040.jpg   Anyone put a fairing on a Road King...-img00041.jpg  
Old 08-08-2010, 05:39 PM
dragginking
Stage III

just bought one off ebay with 2 6x9 holes, really want to modify it to a double din, please give info on the mod, all help is appreciated..

joe

Originally Posted by mdalex
I am having serious second thoughts about the fairing that I bought this past summer. I picked one up off of eBay for about $250. I changed the four 5.25" openings to accommodate four 6.5" speakers and the radio to a double-din radio with built in navigation.

I cannot get use to the look of it, but at least I can change it back over relatively quickly. When my dad rides behind me, be complains of about the wind issues. When I load it on my trailer with my buddy's EGC, it is so tight that I have to pull the fairing off to avoid the bikes hitting eachother. Then I complain when my gas mileage drops way down to 36mpg. I guess it is all about compromise. At least it is as easy/quick to change out as my king tourpak.