Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dash Lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 09:26 PM
Ultradickweed
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash Lights

The light on the cruise control switch is out. Are those a bulb,led or what is involved? the cruise still works. 2006 Ultra
Thanks

Old 11-09-2009, 10:38 PM
Kustomhd
Advanced

yours are still the bulb style. U can pick one up at your local dealer. To change it would will probably have to take the radio out. U might get lucky by just unclipin the light harness but most likely not. It is much easier to take the radio out. It is only 4 3/16 screws and it is out... Good luck.... J

Old 11-09-2009, 10:43 PM
HarleyWood
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are you talking about the indicator light in the speedo or the lighted switch in the fairing cap?

Old 11-09-2009, 11:15 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Ultradickweed
The light on the cruise control switch is out. Are those a bulb,led or what is involved? the cruise still works. 2006 Ultra
Thanks
After reading your post, I took apart a SPOT switch that I had replaced (cosmetically it was bleached out and didn't look right with the newer switches in the switch cap) and there is a small incandescent bulb, but it'd be a pita to replace because of the small parts associated with the switch's operation.

You can probably disassemble what you have, go to Radio Shack or equivalent and find a replacement bulb, and repair what you have. Personally, I hope you go this route and post an informative thread with pics on how you did it. If it's my switch, I buy a new one.

Before you do, pull the fairing cap and see if there is frayed insulation creating a short. I'm not sure, but I believe the light bulb is a separate circuit from the cruise on/off function.

Old 11-10-2009, 06:29 AM
hojones
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Are you really going to go to all this work to repair when the switch does not cost that much?

Old 11-10-2009, 07:43 AM
Ultradickweed
Intermediate

Thanks for the replies. As soon as I get the bike back from its upgrade to 07 cam adjusters and 203 cam install I will take it apart and see what it needs. To get at the rocker switch seems to me I ignition switch comes off and then I don't remember what was there. The whole process may not be worth the effort. The light still works in the gauge that tells when it is engaged.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:05 AM
FLHTCU Owner
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Just an FYI, but I plan on replacing my gauge lights with these LED's the next time I have my fairing off. Pretty inexpensive. (WLED-xHP5 Wedge Base Bulb)

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...t=50#WLED-xHP5

Old 11-10-2009, 10:44 AM
DD4life
Advanced

the ignition switch comes off. Then remove the switch panel (PITA).
unplug and remove switch. Carefully remove the rocker top, change bulb
Whole process is PITA.
Personally I wouldn't bother as long as indicator in guage still works.
But to each his own.

Old 11-10-2009, 06:58 PM
Ultradickweed
Intermediate

After talking with the dealer today he says the cheap switch is 57 bucks and about the same for labor. PITA and Wallet. It can wait....

Old 09-05-2016, 03:49 PM
FLHTMikeG
Stage III
Default Thankful for this Thread

Recently, I noticed that my 1998 FLHTCUI Dash Panel's Cruise switch's light would come on and go off; reaching underneath the dash, wiggling wires would duplicate the situation. Eventually, wiggling didn't work any longer; I presumed the Bulb burnt out; turned out presumption was correct. I removed dash, removed Cruise / Acc Bracket; thought I'd see if I could replace a bulb; Switches sure, are SECURE inside that Bracket . . . . Cruise Control still, Functions, Cruise Control Indicator still, illuminates .... Replacing the Bulb Sure, sounds like a Real, PITA .... Cruise Control still, Functions, Cruise Control Indicator still, illuminates. . . . Thanks, All..