Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1996 Differences vs. Other Years

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 05:34 PM
TexasBowhunter
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 1996 Differences vs. Other Years

I'm in need of you guys help here...
I have the opportunity to get a really clean 96 FLHTCI at wholesale...
My Indy shop who has it was currious as to why the parts books all offer stuff for the 1997' and up and from the 1995' down but nothing is actually stated that the 1996' is the same parts as the 1997 and up...
The parts such as the fenders and tank and and misc. stuff all look the same as what we been seeing on our beloved baggers...So my concern here is will the 97 stuff and newer with the exception of the motor parts interchange with each other...
Front fenders all change out...
I understand that there might be some dia. of axel sizes that have change but for the most part is what I'm concerned with...
Indy doesn't understand why the 1996' is like a redheaded step child all buy its self...
Any thoughts or words of encouragement...

Old 12-05-2009, 05:49 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,955 Likes on 1,711 Posts

The biggest change was the frame. There are some body parts that you can make work, but things like tourpak mounts and whatnot would need modification to make work.

Old 12-05-2009, 09:10 PM
Moog Player
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The MM injection is not programable and open loop. Motor/trans parts are not a problem. Earlier body work and seats will work on it. Later may not as the frame changed in 97. Fairing internals and electrics layout are unique, but parts are available. (I've got a 96FLHTCUI)

Old 12-05-2009, 09:14 PM
TexasBowhunter
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

This is the kind of information I'm seeking...
This will hopefully help me get a well educated game plan...
thanks

Old 12-05-2009, 09:34 PM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The '94-'96 Road Kings are all the same, '96 was the first year they offered EFI on them. In '97 then change the frame completely, that is why you see parts listed as fitting from '97 to '08 bikes.

When I had my '96 FLHRI, I had to swap out the ECM for a '97 model in order to do the stage 1 download. Any parts I needed for it I had to hunt for on Ebay, they are becoming more rare as the bikes get older.

Steve

Old 12-05-2009, 09:43 PM
phat96
Road Warrior

I have the 1996 efi Flhr and all this is true, seats from a 97 don't work, you can't put a powercommander on it to dyno tune, wish I would have known before I bought mine, do the carb or look for a 97 or 98 evo efi so you can get better resuts in HP or torque. Good luck with your choice.

Old 12-05-2009, 10:39 PM
wjl24
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want to be able to tune and /or put a power commander on a 95 or 96 with MM EFI, you need to change the ECM. Part number is 32423-97B. Also, they used to sell a Stage II kit with cam and 41% bigger injectors that makes a heck of a difference. Part number for the stage II kit was 29934-97B. Don't know if it's still available or not.

Old 12-06-2009, 08:21 AM
Peculierboy
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dawg
The biggest change was the frame. There are some body parts that you can make work, but things like tourpak mounts and whatnot would need modification to make work.
The tourpack mounts will be fine. I had a 94 RK (old frame style) and my brother had a 97 RK (new frame) and he took my detach set up and we swapped it right on, fit fine. He did have to use a different mounting hole for the front dock point than I did. He borrowed the tourpack for a cross country tour, about 8000 miles, no problem. Seats, body parts don't fit, but the tank does from other years.

Old 12-06-2009, 08:39 AM
phat96
Road Warrior

wjl24 will that new ecm allow you to fine tune it? or is it the same one but new that came with the 96 RK also the other part for the stage ll, I haven't found it so your probably right it's no longer available.
Thanks

Old 03-10-2024, 10:43 AM
rbuchals
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Peculierboy
The tourpack mounts will be fine. I had a 94 RK (old frame style) and my brother had a 97 RK (new frame) and he took my detach set up and we swapped it right on, fit fine. He did have to use a different mounting hole for the front dock point than I did. He borrowed the tourpack for a cross country tour, about 8000 miles, no problem. Seats, body parts don't fit, but the tank does from other years.
I have a 1996 Road King. What OEM part numbers or retailer can I go to for a quick disconnect back rest, rack and trunk for long trips?

Quick Reply: 1996 Differences vs. Other Years