Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One more Ultra Handle bar tread (with specs)

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 08:12 AM
patriotmc
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One more Ultra Handle bar tread (with specs)

There are a lot of handlebar threads and I've tried to read them all. Unfortunately, I'm still confused... looking for some help/clarification.

I'm going to switch out the bars on my 07 Ultra this spring. Like many of you, I'd like to reuse the existing cables/wires but still get the benefit of the new bars.

I've narrowed my selection to 3 bars. REM said he was able to install the Krome Werks Sweepers and keep all the cables by rerouting and running the clutch outside the fairing. DAWG said while he was able to keep the throttle cables initially, he wound up changing because they were tight. I don't want to have a potential problem, but if I can keep the stock cables by rerouting, I'd like to do that. Can you help with any insight or pictures of how you rerouted the clutch, brake and throttle cables if you've sucessfully installed any of the following:

1. Krome Werks Sweepers +2
2. Chubby 575
3. Flanders DS-300138 (or whatever is comparable to the other two)

I'm not planning to run wires internally.

Oh, one more thing.... here are the specs for the 3.... Is the Sweepers pullback correct? It seems out of line with the others.

Handlebar---------End Rise--------Width -------Ctr Width-----Pullback

Stock Ultra ---------7.5"----------31.0"-----------11.5"--------12.5"
Sweepers+2--------10.8"---------34.1"------------12.0"--------7.8"
Chubby 575---------10.0"---------34.5"-----------14.0"--------13.0"
Flanders-------------9.5"---------36.0"------------11.5"--------14.0"

Thanks and sorry to rehash the handlebar thing again.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:08 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm no help with the install but I just thought I'd show you the difference between stock and the W0575

Here's is stock on my 08

Here is the W0575s on my 09

Old 12-16-2009, 09:40 AM
TheShrink
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I installed the Khromewerks Sweepers on mine and done the labor myself. I also changed the bushings (poly) and the clutch cable (side car cable, I think). I didn't want the cable running outside of the fairing, I am concerned about looks. I did not change the throttle/idle cables but they were very tight at full lock to the left. In fact, tight enought that they would raise the idle just a tad when at full lock. I have changed them now to the proper size. I spend alot of money on my machine, (just like everone else), and I'm not going to take any shortcuts on parts. I also went to the 1 piece clamp, but yours should already have that. I'm very happy (and comfortable) with the Sweepers!

Old 12-16-2009, 04:20 PM
patriotmc
Road Captain

bump thread

Old 12-16-2009, 05:01 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by patriotmc
There are a lot of handlebar threads and I've tried to read them all. Unfortunately, I'm still confused... looking for some help/clarification.

I'm going to switch out the bars on my 07 Ultra this spring. Like many of you, I'd like to reuse the existing cables/wires but still get the benefit of the new bars.

I've narrowed my selection to 3 bars. REM said he was able to install the Krome Werks Sweepers and keep all the cables by rerouting and running the clutch outside the fairing. DAWG said while he was able to keep the throttle cables initially, he wound up changing because they were tight. I don't want to have a potential problem, but if I can keep the stock cables by rerouting, I'd like to do that. Can you help with any insight or pictures of how you rerouted the clutch, brake and throttle cables if you've sucessfully installed any of the following:

1. Krome Werks Sweepers +2
2. Chubby 575
3. Flanders DS-300138 (or whatever is comparable to the other two)

I'm not planning to run wires internally.

Oh, one more thing.... here are the specs for the 3.... Is the Sweepers pullback correct? It seems out of line with the others.

Handlebar---------End Rise--------Width -------Ctr Width-----Pullback

Stock Ultra ---------7.5"----------31.0"-----------11.5"--------12.5"
Sweepers+2--------10.8"---------34.1"------------12.0"--------7.8"
Chubby 575---------10.0"---------34.5"-----------14.0"--------13.0"
Flanders-------------9.5"---------36.0"------------11.5"--------14.0"

Thanks and sorry to rehash the handlebar thing again.
I will throw another Flanders in for ya..

----------------9.5"-----------------31"------------11.5"---------------15.5"

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...nd-corbin.html

bars are like seats - all very subjective ===

I have had my FLHTCI now since Feb/04.... I have run stock bars and 575 on it.... I rode a RG for a while and enjoyed it and put the Wild1 517's on it... I am a short rider and I LOVED the 517's.. In fact, I loved them so much that when I got back on my EG after a Coast to Coast on the RG and the 517's - I missed them.. started to look and found the flanders...

These bars work for ME --- what will work for YOU is really up to you..

the best way and really the only way is to actully ride with each bar or at least sit on a bike... just holding the bars or getting all of our advice can (and most of the time) just confuse you..

LOL > this is why my rafters in my garage has several bars hanging on them..

good luck with your search - install is not hard...

Choosing the right bar for YOU is the hardest

Last edited by harley0711; 12-16-2009 at 05:06 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:24 PM
patriotmc
Road Captain

harley0711... thanks for your post. I had seen your video earlier and just looked at it again. Those narrow Flanders seem to fit very well for you. You are right that picking the right set is probably going to be the most difficult. I'm 5'9" with about a 33 shirt length. I know a lot of guys here that have posted are similar in size, so their comments will help.

The second Flanders that you posted, appears to be the same with as the stock, but with a couple more inches of height and a lot more pull back. With that much, I'm assuming you had to change all the cables?

I'm thinking that to get any of the bars I listed, I'll have to change at least the clutch and throttle. Another poster, REM, had said he did the Sweepers without changing anything, but without seeing how the clutch line looks outside the faring, I won't assume doing that. My son changed to 12" apes on his 09 SG (at least I don't have to fool with the TBW). and I can call him if I get stuck. I guess it's a chance change all my cables to braided... just didn't want the expense right now.

Old 12-16-2009, 05:35 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

Yes, I did change cables. but my parts bin has several from over the years...lol...

Old 12-16-2009, 05:44 PM
DPete
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 1,729 Likes on 1,302 Posts

I feel your pain, tring to pick out bars without holding them is a PIA, even then if not on a bike it's a educated guess. Harley 0711 had a pair of 575's he was good enough to let me feel along with a pair of stock bars to compare with otherwise I'd still be in that dilemma. Ordered the 575's this AM. Had to put a dime in his parking meter though LOL got 4 hours time for 10 cents, best deal I've gotten in a while

Last edited by DPete; 12-16-2009 at 05:47 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:38 PM
patriotmc
Road Captain

Bump... promise, no more... just one more shot at getting your opinions